ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think of Purdue Football so far?

How many wins will Purdue have at the end of the regular season?

• 10+ (holy cow - an unbelievable season)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 8 - 9 (wow - impressive season with that schedule)

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • 6 - 7 (ok, brought in new coach, in a building a year but still have a better record than IU)

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • 0 - 5 (building year for coach and players)

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Now that you have had a chance to see the new coaches, digest Spring ball, and evaluate new incoming talent, lets turn our attention to the Fall season.

The schedule is as tough as ever but I see this as a great opportunity for Purdue's program as it will force everyone involved to grow up quickly and provide a true indicator of where the program is with regards to talent and direction.

There will be several milestones along the way but the easiest indicator is how all this will translates to game wins.

PURDUE 2023 SCHEDULE
Sep 2 - Fresno State Oct 14 - Ohio State
Sep 9 - at Virginia Tech Oct 28 - at Nebraska
Sep 16 - Syracuse Nov 4 - at Michigan
Sep 22 - Wisconsin Nov 11 - Minnesota
Sep 30 - Illinois Nov 18 - at Northwestern
Oct 7 - at Iowa Nov 25 - Indiana

Reactions: lucky 53
The transfers at QB make me wonder if Card has really taken over that position. If so, then I think next season has a lot of potential.

Michigan and OSU are obviously tough, but every game is winnable. I also think that Walters is going to be able to build an identity on defense quickly. I think we'll surprise some people.

Too many moving parts at this point, half the team is new, we do not have a set foundation as of yet.
Wait and see year, hoping for the best.

Too many moving parts at this point, half the team is new, we do not have a set foundation as of yet.
Wait and see year, hoping for the best.
I think it will be a typical rebuilding year, but for the most part like the portal players we're getting so far

I voted for 0 - 5 because I think this is a 5 and 7 team. But looking at the schedule I project that we will be favored in six games. Might end up hinging on the game at Northwestern.

Had lunch with a buddy of mine from Michigan who follows their team pretty closely. he didn't know anything about Walters until I mentioned he was Illinois D coordinator last year. he said he was at that game, and the Illinois D absolutely gave Michigan fits because they couldn't read what was coming at them and the different sets Walters dialed up. I think that was their closest game last year, he thinks Purdue got a pretty good coach.

Had lunch with a buddy of mine from Michigan who follows their team pretty closely. he didn't know anything about Walters until I mentioned he was Illinois D coordinator last year. he said he was at that game, and the Illinois D absolutely gave Michigan fits because they couldn't read what was coming at them and the different sets Walters dialed up. I think that was their closest game last year, he thinks Purdue got a pretty good coach.
the Illinois game that impressed me the most was 2 yrs ago at psu. I know they didn't have Clifford in that game but still the game went 6 or 7 OT's and the Illini D just stoned psu's O and Illini won the game

Sign me up for 10+.

I'm probably over optimistic, but the O should be just as good as last year. I believe Card could have a better year than Oconnell did last year, plus he can move.

The D should be better than last year as well.

Sign me up for 10+.

I'm probably over optimistic, but the O should be just as good as last year. I believe Card could have a better year than Oconnell did last year, plus he can move.

The D should be better than last year as well.
You CRAY-Cray.

And as the other 10 plus wins voter, I welcome you to the Cray-Cray House.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEss
I like to think that we will win them all, and then lower my expectations as the season progresses if there are losses. This year I'm also hoping, but have no idea at all what the season will be like. With all new coaches, many new players, recovering old players, and the roster still being added to, it's hard to know really what to expect. Never having been a head coach, how will he manage games? Hopefully the players will step up and we'll have a fantastic season. But I think that 9 wins could possibly happen, and hopefully more.

IMO: the goal for next year should be competitive every week. And, for the love of all that is holy, find a way to beat friggin' Wisconsin.

The schedule looks tough. Hard to say how good teams like Iowa and Nebraska are going to be. I hope Purdue avoids a Darrell Hazell-like 1-11 meltdown--unless maybe if that 1 win is against Wisconsin. I almost think I'd rather see Purdue beat Wisconsin than Indiana. Almost.

I think the team could end up being more talented overall than last year.
Possibly missing the few stars from last season with Charlie Jones at WR and Graham at LB but this years team should be much better overall with fewer weaknesses.

The offensive line, defensive line and secondary look to be a lot better.

On Offense, with Card replacing O'Connell and the transfer wide receivers and Tibbs as true freshman, the passing game should be good.
The biggest area of improvement over last season could be the offensive line.

On Defense, the entire defensive line and secondary will be new transfers which was desperately needed. Walters as a defensive coach with a secondary filled with his guys should do well. Only area of concern would be the linebackers.

Ultimately I think the defensive unit with all of the transfers will do an adequate job.
The success of the season will ride a lot on how Card performs. He has good stats when he's played and should have capable wide receivers. Losing a starting job isn't really looked at a bad sign anymore. Burrows, Tom Brady and others struggled to keep their starting job in college so you can really only judge the stats he had in games which are pretty good.

Overall I'm pretty optimistic.

I think the team could end up being more talented overall than last year.
Possibly missing the few stars from last season with Charlie Jones at WR and Graham at LB but this years team should be much better overall with fewer weaknesses.

The offensive line, defensive line and secondary look to be a lot better.

On Offense, with Card replacing O'Connell and the transfer wide receivers and Tibbs as true freshman, the passing game should be good.
The biggest area of improvement over last season could be the offensive line.

On Defense, the entire defensive line and secondary will be new transfers which was desperately needed. Walters as a defensive coach with a secondary filled with his guys should do well. Only area of concern would be the linebackers.

Ultimately I think the defensive unit with all of the transfers will do an adequate job.
The success of the season will ride a lot on how Card performs. He has good stats when he's played and should have capable wide receivers. Losing a starting job isn't really looked at a bad sign anymore. Burrows, Tom Brady and others struggled to keep their starting job in college so you can really only judge the stats he had in games which are pretty good.

Overall I'm pretty optimistic.
They will be more talented.. mostly by having far more useful players. You’re just not gonna see very many guys getting a scholarship cause they were good as a Junior in high school .. then going to school for five years instead of playing football.

But everyone else will be better too.

Where we will improve dramatically is on defense. It will be far far better than adequate.. especially against run heavy teams.

To do well against Purdue, an offense is going to need to be multifaceted and stretch the field in all aspects.. and the team will need to be a good football team. Dexter Williams will do absolutely nothing if he were to be healthy enough to start

the Illinois game that impressed me the most was 2 yrs ago at psu. I know they didn't have Clifford in that game but still the game went 6 or 7 OT's and the Illini D just stoned psu's O and Illini won the game
I was glad the Colts didn’t take Levis. Couldn’t even beat out Clifford.

Reactions: pboiler18
I hope they are a more disciplined team eliminating dumb penalties that cost us yards, possession, points, or games.

I think they play above expectations and surprise some folks. The UM and OSU games will be good benchmarks of where this team and program is.

I also like the youth of the coaching staff but I am curious how that translates to game plans and gametime coaching.

Last edited:
At this point it's hard to say. More than any change in player personnel, I'm interested to see the impact of the coaching.

I tend to believe we'll be better defensively but I'm not sure offensively.

At this point it's hard to say. More than any change in player personnel, I'm interested to see the impact of the coaching.

I tend to believe we'll be better defensively but I'm not sure offensively.
Two caveats:

1. We played a lot of good defensive teams
2. AOC was seemingly injured all year

BUT…offensively we weren’t that great nationally in YPG, PPG and several other metrics last year.

I think we’ll see Card go 250/50 a lot but I feel we are going to rely on our RBs more in the pass game and lean on them to get us 100-130 more on the ground.

Reactions: Inspector100
Two caveats:

1. We played a lot of good defensive teams
2. AOC was seemingly injured all year

BUT…offensively we weren’t that great nationally in YPG, PPG and several other metrics last year.

I think we’ll see Card go 250/50 a lot but I feel we are going to rely on our RBs more in the pass game and lean on them to get us 100-130 more on the ground.
I think Walters is a GREAT coach just waiting to pop as a head coach. I think the offense will be dynamic and the defense will stonewall run teams and only be threatened by good, talented teams that can both run and pass AND are dynamic in the pass game. 7-5+, we will beat Wisconsin this year and ND next time we play them … potentially a lot better than 7-5, like scary better. But that’s execution, officiating, health and bounces..

Reactions: Ashaath2016
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT