ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your take?

ddmills333

True Freshman
Nov 10, 2009
Being a Boiler from birth (as my grandfather played baseball at Purdue) and living in southern Indiana my whole life, I am so sick and tired of hearing about the Gloomington Loosiers 5 dusty banners.

You can spit out fact after fact after fact on why Purdue has, is, and will continue to be the better program, and you just get “banners” as a response.

How many decades have to go by before the banners are irrelevant? The games obviously not the same as it was when they won their last and a whole lot different from their 1st.

My take: If you gauge your whole programs success on 1 statistic (winning a title) and your team fails for decades (some never winning one at all), why even watch the games and why be a fan of the sport?

Curious what your alls rebuttals, arguments, and comebacks are when the “banner” 🙄 comment comes up in conversation?

Being a Boiler from birth (as my grandfather played baseball at Purdue) and living in southern Indiana my whole life, I am so sick and tired of hearing about the Gloomington Loosiers 5 dusty banners.

You can spit out fact after fact after fact on why Purdue has, is, and will continue to be the better program, and you just get “banners” as a response.

How many decades have to go by before the banners are irrelevant? The games obviously not the same as it was when they won their last and a whole lot different from their 1st.

My take: If you gauge your whole programs success on 1 statistic (winning a title) and your team fails for decades (some never winning one at all), why even watch the games and why be a fan of the sport?

Curious what your alls rebuttals, arguments, and comebacks are when the “banner” 🙄 comment comes up in conversation?
My take: stop caring what they think/say -- you only give them more energy by caring/thinking/posting about it

My take: stop caring what they think/say -- you only give them more energy by caring/thinking/posting about it
I totally agree. For at least a decade, their asshole fans belittled and demeaned me ... that was 30 years ago. My intense hatred for their fans continues, but I just let their comments roll off my duck's back. They know they are not relevant. I don't need to say anything.

I don’t care what they think, I know the facts.

Just curious as Purdue fans, what your best comment is when it comes up in conversation as a lot of us in southern Indiana are around a whole lot more IU fans then Boiler fans.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Just curious as Purdue fans, what your best comment is when it comes up in conversation as a lot of us in southern Indiana are around a whole lot more IU fans then Boiler fans.
I roll my eyes, turn away and flip my hand at them. I might tell them to go put their candy stripe pants on and leave the fly open.

"You mean the banners that are older than anyone playing for you"

I'm closing in on 50 quickly, I barely remember their last team to win the championship at this point. No one outside of their fans remember or care anymore.

"You mean the banners that are older than anyone playing for you"

I'm closing in on 50 quickly, I barely remember their last team to win the championship at this point. No one outside of their fans remember or care anymore.
well said

I’m a brewers, bucks and packers fan. I’ve spent 2/3rds of my life living outside of Wisconsin. I spent a lot of my life living in Cardinals country and down in Georgia!

Do you know how many championships the Brewers have? And how many years it was in between championships for the Bucks? And being a Purdue alumni currently living in the heart of Ohio st fans?

And being a retired Air Force officer talking to enlisted marines?

And being a liberal?

And being a teacher and Boy Scout leader?

And being smart and a geek rather than a dumb jock?

It’s hard! I’m not going to lie. It’s very hard . It’s very hard to carry on any type of a conversation or fit in when there are always people putting you down! And finding fault with your life choices.

My wife graduated from both Purdue and her Doctorate is from IU. IU is not a bad school contrary to what people here say.

As a Brewers fan I wished they would have gone all in just one year like Arizona and Miami did rather than living another 50 years finishing second! Nobody cares about winning records or big ten championships. It’s now all about championships. The NCAA has made conference championships insignificant!

Look at the Packers. They were considered a failure the last few years because they didn’t win a Super Bowl championship. Division crowns and regular season records mean nothing. Tom Brady is the GOAT, not Aaron Rodgers!

I was living in Georgia last year. Nobody cared about Purdue winning 9 games. They would fire their coach if that’s all he won! Alabama was the same when I lived there. Ohio is the same now!

I’ve lived in over 20 states. You gain a different perspective about what is important to people! How do you react? How do you respond? No matter what you say, somebody will find fault with you!

It’s not about being successful or what have you done lately. It’s all about championships. Nobody likes do your best and participation trophies! I own a packers Super Bowl championship hat. I don’t own a we choked in the sweet 16 tshirt! OrWe big 10 charms or we have more regular season wins than you did shirts.

I have a lot of friends who are life long cubs fans . Do you know and realize how many times people reminded them of 1969? Sometimes I wish people would just shut up and stop bragging and putting others down. You might consider it just good natured rubbing or teasing! But when you live your life and all people ever do is put you down, it adds up! And at some moment that volcano of emotion will explode!

It’s just good natured rubbing. Actually it’s not!

IU won a championship . Deal with it.

I voted for Hillary. She lost. Deal with it. I know I have.

So as Ricky Nelson once said, you gotta please yourself!

Ten years ago I commented that Knight made IU elite and the Polack made Duke great.
We'll see where Duke is in 5 years. IU has obviously fallen off the map.

I mean I’m a Reds fan but when the Cubs beat us or dominate us for a decade, my response isn’t “5 rings!”

Are you saying johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Pete Rose arent relevant players in today;s game?

Well maybe Rose, he might be a world class ahole, but he belongs in the HOF.

I detect a slow shift in the Loosier fan base. The old aunts and grannies that vehemently supported Knight are starting to fade from history. The death of HS basketball as the only social outlet in small towns in the winter has dampened interest and lessened casual ties to the college game as well. Failure to put a winning team on the floor has also further weakened the casual fan base. The most rabid fans in Indiana now are those Boiler fans that learned to hate IU in the 60s and 70s.

I detect a slow shift in the Loosier fan base. The old aunts and grannies that vehemently supported Knight are starting to fade from history. The death of HS basketball as the only social outlet in small towns in the winter has dampened interest and lessened casual ties to the college game as well. Failure to put a winning team on the floor has also further weakened the casual fan base. The most rabid fans in Indiana now are those Boiler fans that learned to hate IU in the 60s and 70s.
Back in the 80s, basically every kid in Indiana whose parents weren’t Purdue grads, was an IU fan. That is not even close to the case now.

I totally agree. For at least a decade, their asshole fans belittled and demeaned me ... that was 30 years ago. My intense hatred for their fans continues, but I just let their comments roll off my duck's back. They know they are not relevant. I don't need to say anything.
right there with you. KNOW exactly how you feel. I would have people call me if they won and I refused to call them back when Purdue won. I did however play Hail Purdue over the plant speaker once. Kim in her youth saw the same thing and even now tells an x cheerleader from IU (childhood friend) when Knight threw the chair that IU fans are the worse and many times eat their own. The younger crowd have no idea what you, me and others with a few years lived through. Still tonight during the IU game she shared text with a retired IU administrator that was best of friends with Crean that is very nice and complimentary towards Purdue and has been for some time...course he is smarter than many...

@BoilerDeac is right. However, every year no matter how good the team actually is...some team wins the tourney. Most years and most people understand the luck and crapshoot it is. So every year there is a winner. There has been only one banner I'm aware that went to the moon. Something that has only happened once, not once a year. You have head to head going for you which is the most direct comparison you could get. You have playing similar competition and doing better going for you if you consider teh Big records as second best.

In the first two NCAA tourneys I think Purdue had finals and sent IU and maybe beaten IU twice in the other???? In 1976 the most beloved team for IU they beat Purdue twice by an average of 3.5 points...a couple of possessions...hardly a dominance over a team rarely mentioned by Purdue. In 81 everything fell in place for a team whose record wasn't the best before the tourney, but one that caught fire due to Isiah and then in 87 they beat Purdue by 11 at IU and Purdue beat IU by 11 at Purdue. So what you have those 5 seasons for IU exceeds Purdue's play, but certainly not by a lot and then you compare that to all the other years history compared to Purdue remembering that fewer teans were selected to play in the tourney and a lot of subjective aligning of who they wanted to play who for those few teams playing.

Still, if an IU fan what else would they say? Most don't have any background on Kinsey...their first claim to fame. Don't ever take an inferior stance though if you take a stance and remember you probably are talking with someone that probably has little history...little understanding trying to get a pecking order of superiority that doesn't exist except in his or her mind

"There are no blue blood programs only blue blood coaches. The banners should be buried with RMK."

Fans seem to think winning the B1G isn't a big deal. It's almost like we think we're Ohio State in Football. But here is wake up call. Purdue has only won the B1G outright once (tied twice) since 1996. We've also only won the B1G tourney once. IU has won the B1G 2 times in 30 years and has never won the B1G Tournament.

I wish people wouldn't treat the B1G schedule as preseason for the NCAA Tournament because winning the B1G outright would be a really big deal.

Purdue fans treat the idea that we under achieve in the NCAA tournament as a given.

The reality is we're rarely a top 4 team entering the tournament. Purdue has had 3 teams finish in the top 5 in the AP poll ever and the highest ranked team under Painter ended the year 10th! The Final AP Poll is taken before the NCAA Tournament.

This may be one of those rare years that we're good enough to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Purdue fans treat the idea that we under achieve in the NCAA tournament as a given.

The reality is we're rarely a top 4 team entering the tournament. Purdue has had 3 teams finish in the top 5 in the AP poll ever and the highest ranked team under Painter ended the year 10th! The Final AP Poll is taken before the NCAA Tournament.

This may be one of those rare years that we're good enough to compete.
*Hummel

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
No doubt Purdue would have had a shot in 2009-2010 without the injury.

Painter's a great coach and had us in position to compete for a FF and NC then, just has he does now. I was just pointing out we've rarely gone into the tournament as a team that is expected to reach the Final Four, so it shouldn't be a surprise when we don't.

Yep, exactly. I remember my in-laws, who I love, but none ever attended college, continuing to give me grief every time Purdue lost to IU back in the late '80s/early '90s. Now my father-in-law watches as many Purdue games as he does IU. And none of the other family members ever say a word about IU, because they can't. The same family members who used to watch IU haven't followed them for years. It's almost sad, in a way that I can say that I got the last laugh...

I also have a good buddy who's a huge IU fan. Prior to this season he was going on and on about how good IU was going to be this year with their 5 star recruits and Woody as their coach. He even wanted to bet me that TJD would win the BTPOY over Edey. I didn't take the bet. But i knew it would never happen. And he hasn't said a thing about IU basketball for a while now...

I live in Southern IN. IU fans don't say a word to me about Purdue basketball anymore. And as the uneducated older IU fans pass away, there are less and less IU fans in Southern IN. I probably see less IU sweatshirts than I do UK and Purdue anymore...

I live in Southern IN. IU fans don't say a word to me about Purdue basketball anymore. And as the uneducated older IU fans pass away, there are less and less IU fans in Southern IN. I probably see less IU sweatshirts than I do UK and Purdue anymore...
I noticed the older ones were fairly mouthy and brazen at the beginning of the season. Quite a few just couldn't resist coming up to me in grocery stores, all decked out in IU gear and make a comment since I had on my Purdue hat. But did notice this weekend, those people are now suddenly disappearing as they are again returning their IU gear to the back of the closet. Grocery shopping is peaceful again.

Well I was referring to the “no Painter team has finished in the AP top 5” stat.

The 2010 team was in the top 5 when Rob went down… I think #3 ?
Yep and were set to move to number 1 as the two teams ahead of them lost that week. No one will be able to convince me that team wasn't final four bound. That's why I can't take anyone seriously when they say Painter isn't a F4 level coach, it has just taken some fluke injuries and plays to keep him out.

Yep, exactly. I remember my in-laws, who I love, but none ever attended college, continuing to give me grief every time Purdue lost to IU back in the late '80s/early '90s. Now my father-in-law watches as many Purdue games as he does IU. And none of the other family members ever say a word about IU, because they can't. The same family members who used to watch IU haven't followed them for years. It's almost sad, in a way that I can say that I got the last laugh...

I also have a good buddy who's a huge IU fan. Prior to this season he was going on and on about how good IU was going to be this year with their 5 star recruits and Woody as their coach. He even wanted to bet me that TJD would win the BTPOY over Edey. I didn't take the bet. But i knew it would never happen. And he hasn't said a thing about IU basketball for a while now...
One other dynamic is the cultures of the 2 universities. The Purdue culture matches the culture of the state much more than the IU culture does.

I have a buddy who grew up an IU fan, but then went to a small private college.

We met and became friends in our 30s, our kids became friends, and they ended up going to Purdue football and basketball games with our family.

The more he learned about IU, the more he disliked it: “I’d never send my kids there.”

He and his wife came to love everything about Purdue: Daniels, the great value of the education, the campus, Mackey, Painter, etc.

Now his son is a student there, and they are a huge Purdue family.

Well I was referring to the “no Painter team has finished in the AP top 5” stat.

Yeah they were beating teams on the road by 20+ points it seemed. They were on a roll.

Reactions: tjreese
One other dynamic is the cultures of the 2 universities. The Purdue culture matches the culture of the state much more than the IU culture does.

I have a buddy who grew up an IU fan, but then went to a small private college.

We met and became friends in our 30s, our kids became friends, and they ended up going to Purdue football and basketball games with our family.

The more he learned about IU, the more he disliked it: “I’d never send my kids there.”

He and his wife came to love everything about Purdue: Daniels, the great value of the education, the campus, Mackey, Painter, etc.

Now his son is a student there, and they are a huge Purdue family.

Haha....you Boilerized them.

6c473a05-914f-4d76-a6ae-37b3789d3a1d_text.gif

You guys honestly are biased due to your rivalry and because people in your state kind of inflate instate basketball in general due to state pride. No one outside of IN cares about their banners or even really thinks about IU, lol. Like, people don’t even see them as underachieving anymore. 😂
I live in SC so the only time I ever hear about IU is on BTN or on this message board. Lol. Basketball fans I interact with know more about Painter and Purdue. Painter is well respected across all the other conferences.

I live in SC so the only time I ever hear about IU is on BTN or on this message board. Lol. Basketball fans I interact with know more about Painter and Purdue. Painter is well respected across all the other conferences.
I live in SC and I haven't met anyone who cares about any college basketball team. If I mention Purdue was ranked #1 in basketball, I get blank stares. A few Duke or Carolina fans here and there but that's about it.

College football is the only game in town down here.

Haas injury occurred during the tournament. The final AP Poll had already occurred. We were ranked 11th headed into the tourney.
yeah he already clarified my misunderstanding. Thought it was about injuries that may have cost a final 4. Haas playing and Texas TEch has to play different

Reactions: New Pal Boiler

Yes, they were 3. And I remember that #’s 1 and 2 lost that week. Edit: As NVBoiler mentioned before I noticed his response and posted the same.

I watch the Indy PBS station broadcast local HS basketball games. Phil Eisenbarger is the color guy (I guess) and the other old fart announcer always asks him how "Coach Knight" handled situations they are seeing in the game. I always laugh. Most people watching probably never saw RMK coach and don't even know who they are talking about.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT