ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Mike Mendez???

Nov 25, 2011
I may have missed the thread and/or announcement on this board, but saw yesterday we received not only the commitment but also early enrollment of Texas lineman, Mike Mendez. What I read has him at 6'4" and 290 . . . He is a Rivals 3-star and will begin class next week.

In any event, welcome Mike! Go Boilers!!

They didnt announce that on Rivals that I saw, but did see it on ESPN. I dont see him in the rivals database though.

Wondering what his offers are like.

I do like that this staff seems to have a stronger preference for getting youngsters here early. If they arent willing to redshirt them, an extra camp makes a huge difference.

Had him mixed up with another Mendez in terms of stars . . . In any event, he has good size. Wonder why he isn't showing up on the G&B commitment list . . .

Originally posted by SuPurduePer:
Had him mixed up with another Mendez in terms of stars . . . In any event, he has good size. Wonder why he isn't showing up on the G&B commitment list . . .
No rivals profile yet. Thats why.

I really dont think it matters an Olines stars. I think an offensive lineman is easy to fall under the radar.

I'm sure he's a great kid...but..shouldn't we using scholarships on B10 level players? This staff (I'll be nice) is in WAY over their heads!!

This post was edited on 1/11 6:31 PM by uncleboiler

His Coach and the coaches brother both played in the NFL, both seem to think he's an absolute steal. For what that's worth. Big and Strong, welcome aboard.

Yeah. I'm sure hazells keystone cop staff are SO much smarter than ALL the other Power 5 coaches at evaluating talent. You really think they're the ONLY staff that's seen this kid?...this is why 4-20 hazell is headed toward being the worst coach in Purdue history.

Originally posted by uncleboiler:
Yeah. I'm sure hazells keystone cop staff are SO much smarter than ALL the other Power 5 coaches at evaluating talent. You really think they're the ONLY staff that's seen this kid?...this is why 4-20 hazell is headed toward being the worst coach in Purdue history.
One thing is for certain....

No matter how bad they are, they know a whole hell of a lot more about football than you ever will!

Well, sounds like he's coming right away, so let's see what he can do. Welcome to Purdue, Mike!

Originally posted by pboiler18:
Originally posted by uncleboiler:
One thing is for certain....

No matter how bad they are, they know a whole hell of a lot more about football than you ever will!
I don't need to be a 5 star Chef to know when I'm being served a crappy meal.

LOL!!!!!uncleboiler, your on a roll...........I needed a few good laughs today................keep up the brutal honesty........

Originally posted by nips18:
Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers only had one offer as well. How'd they turn out?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Whew, I was concerned about recruiting there for a while. It turns out that unless the probability of success is zero, that no conclusions can be reached. I feel better.

You see what you want to see. If you want to see doom and gloom then that's what you will see. I'm optimistic and hope the coaches get it going. The outgoing seniors seem very encouraged.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

...........unfortunately nip, that's all we have seen so far is mainly doom and gloom! We all hope things improve, but there are a lot of factors pointing otherwise! As for recruiting, we appear to be going head to head with the Sun Belt, Mac, and Conf USA for talent!

Originally posted by SunnyFL24:
...........unfortunately nip, that's all we have seen so far is mainly doom and gloom! We all hope things improve, but there are a lot of factors pointing otherwise! As for recruiting, we appear to be going head to head with the Sun Belt, Mac, and Conf USA for talent!
Exactly. Did you know Mark Cuban went to IU? Man, if only I would have gone there, I'd be a billionare.

There is optimism and there is pointing to extreme outliers and calling it the norm. Which is essentially what youre doing statistically over 20 something datapoints.

I for one will never judge a player prior to him playing on Saturdays in the Black and Gold. Just like I'll never assume a restaurant sucks without eating there. You never know how a recruit is going to turn out, I'll continue to reserve judgement until I see them play. Welcome Mike, Looking forward to seeing what you can do. As always, BOILER UP.

Welcome young Mr Mendez, here's hoping you have a successful career. Don't worry about those questioning your abilities even though they ain't seen you play a down of football, you probably won't see them at games anyway. Probably sit at home rooting for the teams they actually pull for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT