OFF TOPIC WEEKLY UPLOAD: Purdue Football Notes, Basketball Recruiting & More

Kyle_Holderfield

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 22, 2022
West Lafayette, IN

Welcome to this week's rendition of the Weekly Upload.​

Purdue Football Recruiting​

Since the first junior day a couple of weeks ago, it has been pretty quiet on the recruiting front for Purdue Football. They are continuing to send out invites for their next big junior day, which will occur the weekend before the “Spring Game”.

Purdue did dabble in the transfer market this week, getting a commitment from NAIA Indiana Wesleyan University. Ben Farrell was a 3X All-Conference Player, he will come to Purdue with his 6th year, using the additional Covid year.

We can all laugh and scoff at the NAIA level, but when I tell you there are dudes at that level, there are dudes. We regularly send kids to Marian from Harrison, and some of the guys that play there can play at the division one level, just to be honest.

Ben Farrell will project at guard once he arrives - he didn’t transfer to Purdue to not play, there will be competition at right guard, he will be in that mix, there is no doubt.

Purdue will have more transfers coming in and players leaving after Spring Ball, that is something you can count on. Who? I don’t know quite yet.

Speaking of players on the outside looking in, Milton Wright was involved at Purdue’s Pro Day, he is looking to gain eligibility back at Purdue, which he is still working towards. Usually, those guys disappear the moment they are deemed ineligible, but he has stuck around to work on his grades, and for that deserves a round of applause alone. I hope we see him in the Gold and Black again, he would help out tremendously.

Does anyone remember his game at Wrigley against Northwestern? I do, I was there. Just in case you forgot though…

Spring Football Schedule​

Spring football will kick off on Tuesday when the students come back from Spring Break. Their Spring “Game” will be held on April 22nd at Folk Field. It will be more like a practice though.

With that being in mind, the only Purdue practice that will be open to the public is the one that will be held at Folk Field. The new staff is also doing late evening practices during the week, more than likely they want to make sure they get their afternoon weightlifting in, as new strength coach Kiero Small tries to change the way this team looks.

It probably also comes down to players’ class schedules a bit too. But as the great Cardale Jones once said, “Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL”.. Joking obviously, kind of.

Purdue Basketball Recruiting​

I think we can all agree that David Jenkins Jr., has been a godsend transfer for Purdue. He has been mature, a leader, great to talk to, and quickly became the epitome of what a Boilermaker is.

Sadly, this is his only season with Purdue, giving Purdue an open scholarship. Purdue is still in pursuit of some 2024 players, but it leaves them with a potential option to have a transfer come in for a season or two.

The looming question for the 2023-2024 season, other than if Zach Edey will return, is who will have backup point guard duties, because right now… there isn’t anyone. I guess Morton could, to an extent handle it, but he will exert himself so much on the defensive end, that it may be too much.

There aren’t a ton of names out there to watch currently, but, Ray Davis’ cousin Jayden Taylor entered the Portal from Butler, he is a combo guard that averaged 12.9 PPG, there have been no reports, but I am just speculating.

IHSAA Playoffs Continue on​

2024 prospect, Flory Bidunga plays Fort Wayne-Wayne. If they win, they play the winner of Hammond Central vs Penn with the chance to represent the north for the 4A state championship.

In the southern portion of the 4A Bracket, 2024 Commit, Kanon Catchings, will play Jennings County, then if they win play the winner of Ben Davis (30-0) and Bloomington North.

Jack Benter’s Brownstown Central team will play Indianapolis Scecina in the southern bracket of 2A state. If they win, They will play the winner of Park Heritage and Linton-Stockton, with a chance to represent the 2A south in the State Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News