ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC Weekly Upload: Cox Commits, Basketball Notes, & Football Recruiting

Kyle_Holderfield

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 22, 2022
West Lafayette, IN

reindeer-shuttle-sponsor-png.903

Welcome to the October 6th, 2023 rendition of the "Weekly Upload". We are proud to be sponsored by Reindeer Shuttle, locally owned and operated by Purdue graduates. Driving to the airport sucks let Reindeer Shuttle do the driving for you! With convenient pickup locations across Lafayette and on campus, Reindeer Shuttle will get you to the Airport safely and on time.

C.J. Cox Commits

Coach Painter dug deep into his evaluations, dating back to an assessment in the summer in Las Vegas. In the Upload last week, I reported that Cox was visiting, but I had yet to learn it would materialize into a commitment by the time he left campus.

Cox, while underrecruited, unrated, and mostly unknown, has some serious game to him. He is quick with the ball in his hands, a defensive standout, and a team-first type of basketball player. He checks boxes for Coach Painter and is the epitome of a diamond in the rough.

Questions have been asked, does this end the pursuit of Travis Perry and Gicarri Harris? The answer is yes, but only to Travis Perry. Casey alluded to this in his post in the Depot on Tuesday. Painter is done chasing the combo guard from Kentucky. The recruitment strung out too long and it appears

Harris has stated a decision date for mid-October, which is quickly approaching. He is still on the radar for Painter and his staff. He is seen as more of a wing than a combo guard, though he does handle the ball well.

More: Casey Talks CJ Cox

Purdue Football Recruiting​

The 2024 Class signed the dotted line in just about two months. Purdue is still after 4-star tight end Tayvion Galloway but is not chasing after him as they were earlier this summer. As we have stated time and time again, the kid loves to be recruited, he loves social media, and he loves exposure.

Well, his senior year is down in comparison to what he did as a sophomore and junior. If he chooses to commit, Purdue will take him, but there is no begging happening. Purdue likes the young tight ends on the roster, especially Max Klare and George Burhenn, they are comfortable where they are at that position.

Around 40 visitors stormed Ross-Ade Stadium last week for a gameday visit. Two running backs from Ohio walked away with offers, Kentrell Rinehart and Jonathan Stevens.

Rinehart is currently unranked by Rivals but will have a profile shortly. Stevens is also an unranked running back. Both 2025 prospects have mostly MAC offers but are seen as fast risers at the position for 2025.

Desman Stephens de-committed from Boston College this week and has been on the Purdue Radar for quite some time. The class of 2024 athlete would play linebacker at Purdue, in a class that could use another Linebacker commit.

Purdue has contacted him again and would gladly take a verbal from Stephens. Walters will have to beat out Louisville, IU, and Virginia for his services.

I know it has been two weeks now since I stated Tarrion Grant has committed to Purdue. The belief is that he has, but just has not told the general public. The 2025 Cornerback would probably be the best player in that class, a silent verbal is what it appears to be, as of now. Why? I am not sure.

Other Items:​

Mike Bobinski is receiving a contract extension, deservingly so in my opinion. He has helped Purdue so much since arriving. Facilities have improved, JPC membership is up and he has made some solid hires.

Basketball Practice (10/5) Notes from Casey:​

Zach Edey was back and looking lean and mobile. While the talk of his extended range is all the rave, it's the work Edey continues to do on his body that should make the most difference for himself and the team. He's clearly cut some weight and gotten quicker. Caleb Furst who is as quick a big as you'll find in the country was having an impossible time trying to cut off Edey cutting to the hoop. This is going to be a reality of Purdue's offense this year and a nightmare for opposing teams. PJ Thompson told me after the practice that having Edey moving more, in screens, and doing hand-offs, is going to be even more of a focal point in the offense this year.

Ethan Morton is still being cautious with the hamstring tear he suffered before the Europe trip. He's been cautious with it, but looked more mobile and felt better this week. I talked to him for about fifteen minutes after practice and will have a write-up on the senior the next day.

Camden Heide rolled his ankle again. He missed the last hour of practice. This has been a repeating occurrence for the redshirt freshman.

Talked to Trey Kaufman-Renn for about ten minutes about his role, what it's been like adjusting to playing with Edey, and the difficulties and points of emphasis he has to think about while out there. Will have that write-up for you in the next day as well.

The team was going through some end-of-game simulations for a healthy portion of practice today. The offense looked a little rough. Purdue is focusing on motion offense and defending the motion at this point in preparation.

Myles Colvin looks every bit the best wing shooter and potential X factor on offense... but he's still struggling on the defensive end. During hedge and screen drills, he was consistently a step behind or getting caught up on picks. At one point Thompson asked him 'You didn't do it, but do you understand it?' Purdue's gonna want to give him all the chances to play but Colvin will have to step it up on the defensive end to earn that Painter trust.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News