ADVERTISEMENT

"We can't keep hiring coaches from the MAC"

BoilermakerD

All-American
Apr 18, 2010
I've seen this a lot. I think it's just incorrect. First, there's the whole dynamic of the fact that we're talking about hiring two coordinators, instead of a head coach also, which is miraculous.. until you remember that you're in the dysfunctional environment of Purdue athletics. So, with coordinators, you have two dynamics working in opposite directions:

a) The likelihood that Hazell will be fired, meaning that the new hire may be taking a one year job
b) The likelihood that Burke, if this $2 chump with a nice corporate schtick has anything left in the tank, can double back with "yes, but that just means that this job could be YOURS in a year"

Overriding that is the reduction in who your able to get due to the fact that good coordinators may be sitting there waiting on nothing less than a head job.

But let's say we're talking head coach in a year when it comes to the MAC theory...

Woody Hayes came from the MAC. Yes, that's a long time ago, but can't we all agree that Indiana would have been farther in two more years WITH Terry Hoeppner than they've come in the time without him? Urban Meyer came from the MAC. Bo Schembechler. Gary Pinkel has done a fine job for Missouri, a job I'd love done here at Purdue minus the disgusting sexual abuse (ALLEGEDLY).. he's from the MAC.

I don't think Hazell being a chump has anything to do with him being from the MAC. I actually think Hazell might have done a John Cooper-esque job had he landed at Ohio State. He's not aggressive. He has no balls. And frankly, this idea that "well, at least he'll supplement the lack of any courage with a team that plays smart" would make me laugh hysterically if I wasn't already in tears.

A coach like Darrell Hazell needs to be at a place where he can afford to sit back and let the game come to him.. where he can afford to play not to lose and wish the game had already ended instead of trying to end the game. He needs to be somewhere where scumbag alumni drop off $80,000 backpacks to elite athletes.

Joe Tiller came from a conference very similar in power to the MAC. He, on the other hand, understood how you have to play at a place like Purdue. I liken it to the American Revolution. Hazell would be fine for the British. Tiller was good for an entity whose lack of power dictates that it must shoot from the trees and engage in guerilla warfare.

That's why I'm rolling on the floor over this idea that people want Mark Richt or Bo Pelini. Is Mark Richt bringing his slick group of Georgia alumni to recruit like they did in the movie Blue Chips? Bo Pelini's effectiveness at Nebraska was several notches below Frank Solich.

Mark Richt had a team that athletically was several notches above Purdue in 2003.. didn't that game go into overtime?

If Boise State hired coaches the way that some here want to, they might still be in junior college.

Wanting Mark Richt or Bo Pelini to me sounds like the kind of false thinking when Bulls fans got excited about Ben Wallace. It was painfully obvious that the Bulls were paying Wallace for his past, not for his future. We'd be paying these two for their past.

This idea that they'd recruit here? Maybe somewhat better. I don't think that Hope or Hazell have knocked anyone's socks off recruiting even by Purdue's standards. But he's not bringing in the kind of athletes that come with jobs for mom and dad, free cars for the whole family and $80,000 backpacks.

I'll tell you when this was cemented to me. Remember Charlie Weis' hire? The rate at which top kids were suddenly going to Notre Dame did not seem to be in line with any hire. Their recruiting did such a 180 that I knew that the movie Blue Chips probably wasn't far off.

I don't care where our next coach comes from.. so long as he's been effective and his approach is to try to go for the throat.. which you must do at Purdue ALWAYS.

I don't think that that type of guy is going to come from a program bigger than ours with past success at that program.

Oh, forgot the next part.. they're not coming here anyway. This job probably sounds like a death sentence to someone like Mark Richt... who was interviewing for the MIAMI job yesterday.

Reactions: Bigohh
I've seen this a lot. I think it's just incorrect. First, there's the whole dynamic of the fact that we're talking about hiring two coordinators, instead of a head coach also, which is miraculous.. until you remember that you're in the dysfunctional environment of Purdue athletics. So, with coordinators, you have two dynamics working in opposite directions:

a) The likelihood that Hazell will be fired, meaning that the new hire may be taking a one year job
b) The likelihood that Burke, if this $2 chump with a nice corporate schtick has anything left in the tank, can double back with "yes, but that just means that this job could be YOURS in a year"

Overriding that is the reduction in who your able to get due to the fact that good coordinators may be sitting there waiting on nothing less than a head job.

But let's say we're talking head coach in a year when it comes to the MAC theory...

Woody Hayes came from the MAC. Yes, that's a long time ago, but can't we all agree that Indiana would have been farther in two more years WITH Terry Hoeppner than they've come in the time without him? Urban Meyer came from the MAC. Bo Schembechler. Gary Pinkel has done a fine job for Missouri, a job I'd love done here at Purdue minus the disgusting sexual abuse (ALLEGEDLY).. he's from the MAC.

I don't think Hazell being a chump has anything to do with him being from the MAC. I actually think Hazell might have done a John Cooper-esque job had he landed at Ohio State. He's not aggressive. He has no balls. And frankly, this idea that "well, at least he'll supplement the lack of any courage with a team that plays smart" would make me laugh hysterically if I wasn't already in tears.

A coach like Darrell Hazell needs to be at a place where he can afford to sit back and let the game come to him.. where he can afford to play not to lose and wish the game had already ended instead of trying to end the game. He needs to be somewhere where scumbag alumni drop off $80,000 backpacks to elite athletes.

Joe Tiller came from a conference very similar in power to the MAC. He, on the other hand, understood how you have to play at a place like Purdue. I liken it to the American Revolution. Hazell would be fine for the British. Tiller was good for an entity whose lack of power dictates that it must shoot from the trees and engage in guerilla warfare.

That's why I'm rolling on the floor over this idea that people want Mark Richt or Bo Pelini. Is Mark Richt bringing his slick group of Georgia alumni to recruit like they did in the movie Blue Chips? Bo Pelini's effectiveness at Nebraska was several notches below Frank Solich.

Mark Richt had a team that athletically was several notches above Purdue in 2003.. didn't that game go into overtime?

If Boise State hired coaches the way that some here want to, they might still be in junior college.

Wanting Mark Richt or Bo Pelini to me sounds like the kind of false thinking when Bulls fans got excited about Ben Wallace. It was painfully obvious that the Bulls were paying Wallace for his past, not for his future. We'd be paying these two for their past.

This idea that they'd recruit here? Maybe somewhat better. I don't think that Hope or Hazell have knocked anyone's socks off recruiting even by Purdue's standards. But he's not bringing in the kind of athletes that come with jobs for mom and dad, free cars for the whole family and $80,000 backpacks.

I'll tell you when this was cemented to me. Remember Charlie Weis' hire? The rate at which top kids were suddenly going to Notre Dame did not seem to be in line with any hire. Their recruiting did such a 180 that I knew that the movie Blue Chips probably wasn't far off.

I don't care where our next coach comes from.. so long as he's been effective and his approach is to try to go for the throat.. which you must do at Purdue ALWAYS.

I don't think that that type of guy is going to come from a program bigger than ours with past success at that program.

Oh, forgot the next part.. they're not coming here anyway. This job probably sounds like a death sentence to someone like Mark Richt... who was interviewing for the MIAMI job yesterday.
I think you are right on. The new head coach needs to be a young up and comer who can relate to today's recruits. This guy could then hire some older ex hc's who are good X&O types and who have some good connections to top tier recruits. This bs about poor Purdue and nobody wanting to come here is just a cop out IMHO. Iowa St. and Va Tech, two places that are no more attractive than Purdue, both moved quickly to get the top two available candidates. Seems like they stole a march on the bigger names and I am sure they paid to get what they wanted.

It was the 2004 Capital One bowl. Georgia scored 24 quick points.

Before the game there had been a fight between two players and one of the Purdue players was sent home. A group on the team was even going to boycott the game, which they essentially did for those first 24 points.

You are spot on about your coaching comparison to what type of general would work fine for the British but would have been a disaster with the Continental army. If Burke had any clue he could figure out during the interview process what type of coach he was talking to.

You are spot on about your coaching comparison to what type of general would work fine for the British but would have been a disaster with the Continental army. If Burke had any clue he could figure out during the interview process what type of coach he was talking to.

Hazell reminds me of General McClellan, who, had he not been fired by Lincoln, would still be training his troops today waiting for the right moment to attack the Confederates.

I don't have anything against hiring coaches from the MAC. As others have mentioned, lots of great coaches have come through that league. Nick Saban (Toledo) and Urban Meyer (BGSU) both had their first head gigs at MAC schools.

I just don't know if there's anybody in the MAC right now who has sufficient FBS experience. I'd rather get someone in the mold of Randy Walker than flashes in the pan like Tim Beckman and Darrell Hazell.

Dino Babers and Rod Carey are probably the two best candidates, though neither has been in his current job more than 3 years. Terry Bowden seems like a huge stretch. Pete Lembo has fallen on some hard times at BSU. Frank Solich will probably retire from Ohio. PJ Fleck maybe in a few years. But right now, he doesn't look like much of an upgrade over Haze.

I don't have anything against hiring coaches from the MAC. As others have mentioned, lots of great coaches have come through that league. Nick Saban (Toledo) and Urban Meyer (BGSU) both had their first head gigs at MAC schools.

I just don't know if there's anybody in the MAC right now who has sufficient FBS experience. I'd rather get someone in the mold of Randy Walker than flashes in the pan like Tim Beckman and Darrell Hazell.

Dino Babers and Rod Carey are probably the two best candidates, though neither has been in his current job more than 3 years. Terry Bowden seems like a huge stretch. Pete Lembo has fallen on some hard times at BSU. Frank Solich will probably retire from Ohio. PJ Fleck maybe in a few years. But right now, he doesn't look like much of an upgrade over Haze.
time to give Mike Norvell a shot.

So if you think fleck is good as an AD, and you should always have a file on every COLLEGE Head coach if you are a Big Ten AD... And you wait for Fleck to "become good" to the masses... If you wait for that shift in opinion .. Do you think we will still get him?

I want Babers, I'm just asking

Don't forget MAC coach Urban Meyer and I think Ara Parseigan (sp?)

It was the 2004 Capital One bowl. Georgia scored 24 quick points.

Before the game there had been a fight between two players and one of the Purdue players was sent home. A group on the team was even going to boycott the game, which they essentially did for those first 24 points.

I was at that game and stayed at the Team Hotel, but have never heard about this. Who was involved and what was the group that boycotted?

I was at that game and stayed at the Team Hotel, but have never heard about this. Who was involved and what was the group that boycotted?

I don't want to say too much more. The player who was sent home was Eugene Bright. The other player was Ben Jones.

Last edited:
So if you think fleck is good as an AD, and you should always have a file on every COLLEGE Head coach if you are a Big Ten AD... And you wait for Fleck to "become good" to the masses... If you wait for that shift in opinion .. Do you think we will still get him?

I want Babers, I'm just asking

Good point, BoilermakerD. I'm not involved in hiring football coaches, so I don't have a perfect answer. But I think he has to show more than he's shown so far. Fleck seems to have recruited well (an obvious plus), but the results so far have been similar to what Bill Cubit produced at WMU.

Doesn't really matter right now, anyway. Purdue isn't making a hire this year. I think Fleck will still be there in a year or two.

FWIW: it looks like Syracuse is very interested in Babers: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ch-search-bowling-green-dino-babers/76673566/

Good point, BoilermakerD. I'm not involved in hiring football coaches, so I don't have a perfect answer. But I think he has to show more than he's shown so far. Fleck seems to have recruited well (an obvious plus), but the results so far have been similar to what Bill Cubit produced at WMU.

Doesn't really matter right now, anyway. Purdue isn't making a hire this year. I think Fleck will still be there in a year or two.

FWIW: it looks like Syracuse is very interested in Babers: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ch-search-bowling-green-dino-babers/76673566/

See we should be hiring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT