ADVERTISEMENT

Varied tempo offense

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
Does anyone know what the Varied Tempo offense is that the football team is running? Just wondering

Yeah, for three plays. Then the punter will come out and use most of the clock...

It will be interesting to see what they come out with. The past couple spring games have been so vanilla, I wouldnt read into that that game looks like.

My understanding has been that whatever the scheme is will be independent of the varied tempo part. Shoop/Haz have spoken about keeping a 'hurry up element' in their playcalling to exploit mismatches and cause confusion.

I like the theory

Originally posted by FLAG HUNTER:

just trying to figure out what kind of offense the team runs now

Same kind of plays you saw last year just a different pace between plays
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by nat100:

Have they said as much? That looked built for Hunt/Mostert, and I would be pretty surprised if they tried to run that same stuff from the second half of last year with Green/Knox.

Originally posted by boiler17:

Have they said as much? That looked built for Hunt/Mostert, and I would be pretty surprised if they tried to run that same stuff from the second half of last year with Green/Knox.

Don't know, but I doubt shoop altered his playbook. I'll bet the pass plays are similar and the run plays mirror what we did 2 years ago as far as blocking scheme

Don't know, but I doubt shoop altered his playbook. I'll bet the pass plays are similar and the run plays mirror what we did 2 years ago as far as blocking scheme

Gotcha. I largely agree, but think the entire offense will resemble stuff from 2013. They have much more of what they want now, and can imagine it being much more successful. To be clear, I can imagine it being a 70th rated offense as opposed to last.

I think the read option all but goes away, and pass plays are more about exposing immediate gaps in coverage or setting up long pass plays.

I love the up tempo style. We clearly dont have the talent to beat everyone or even half of the teams on our schedule so we need to scheme better than them. We have decent O line depth and multiple running backs so this strategy could be effective for us this year.

I gotta believe Purdue has the talent, just need some coaching to bring it out and all together this year.

Agree Flag,

It hasnt been hard to read between the lines that Haz hasnt led the most cohesive unit. That may or may not be his fault, but he has to be better at managing it. I think the coaching staffs inability to take a player, especially a qb, and have them play incrementally better has been a huge problem too.

I can kind of respect the lack of depth arguments, but seems pretty clear to me the problem is getting guys to execute assignments on defense and play together on offense; basic organizational stuff. Collective toughness/will has been a problem too.

That said, recruiting hasnt been impressing anybody. Im not calling it a strength of the program, but isnt terribly high on my list of whats holding it back.

So is shoop.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Run on First Down, Run on Second, think you are going to fool them with a pass on Third. Shank a Punt about 15 yards.

Wow Stacey, I would have bet money against that; thanks. Props Nat.

That sounds like a mistake to me, but look forward to insight on the rbs Saturday.

You are missing the key to the Shoopian Offense...

If it is 3rd and 8, be sure to run a 6 yard hook. Or a quick screen. Pay no attention to the sticks.

Re: You are missing the key to the Shoopian Offense...

A Quaterback really needs to separate himself and step up!! Really will help this team make huge improvements

So from the sounds of the article yesterday or whenever, they are getting to the line legit quick; 7-10 seconds. I was quite distrubed that they arent immediately snapping the ball.

It didnt say what they are doing, presumably taking time for audibles/play adjustments, but youre also giving the d time.

Huge waste if we are doing this just to prevent substitutions imo

The story refers to three possibilities: hurry up/quick snap, hurry up/ 7-10 second snap, or huddle. It seems that gives the offense command of temp OR defensive substitution. sounds like more of a varied approach that can let the offense dictate more.

Originally posted by rbaggie:

The story refers to three possibilities: hurry up/quick snap, hurry up/ 7-10 second snap, or huddle. It seems that gives the offense command of temp OR defensive substitution. sounds like more of a varied approach that can let the offense dictate more.
Sweet, thanks.

So Snoop is going to take advantage of mismatches and create confusion.......on which team???

Originally posted by boiler17:

Who knows, but they're definitely trying to spice up the offense, at least the confederate is. We'll find out Sat.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
So Snoop[/I] is going to take advantage of mismatches and create confusion.......on which team???
I'll take a guess and say Snoop would use the Air it Out 420 offense to create confusion about where their snacks are and leaving the middle of the field wide open to get to the endzone.

smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by JohnnyDoeBoiler:

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
So Snoop[/I] is going to take advantage of mismatches and create confusion.......on which team???
I'll take a guess and say Snoop would use the Air it Out 420 offense to create confusion about where their snacks are and leaving the middle of the field wide open to get to the endzone.

smokin.r191677.gif
Guess I should refer to him as Stoop so you don't get confused when we get Shooped again this year. Unless we have a giant change of offensive efficiency there is no way our offensive genius stays on staff another year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT