ADVERTISEMENT

Valparaiso - Purdue Game Discussion Thread

Exactly. With as many outside shooters we need more than Tre/Edy to be around the basket to rebound and Wheeler gives us that. As you said if he fills the same roll Grady did, it forces the defense to stay honest and opens everyone else up.

Last season Wheeler would of be jacking up threes. So far this season he isn't doing that, well, nearly as much. He had a very athletic steal and kept several shots "alive" around the rim. I hope he keeps it going as that type of play can be very helpful.
Feel the same here. Aaron can still hit shots and I'm ok with him taking a couple in rhythm per game and away from the baseline (can't remember him hitting a 3 from that area in a while). Aaron would be best spending most of his time opposite Tre/Zack and grabbing offensive boards for put backs or last second dishes. He is also out of position for rebounding when hoisting 3s.

Reactions: BBG
I can take 4 shots a game too. We were discussing 3 point ACCURACY. He’s not.

We're discussing four shots a game, his career average. Make or miss all, and it matters little. He's there to rebound, pass, move and defend, and he's better doing all of that as a Big Ten forward than anyone in the program, let alone anyone playing small-school preps.

We're discussing four shots a game, his career average. Make or miss all, and it matters little. He's there to rebound, pass, move and defend, and he's better doing all of that as a Big Ten forward than anyone in the program, let alone anyone playing small-school preps.
His defense is mediocre at best. Can’t get in a stance and slide his feet laterally.

It should be obvious to anyone watching that Aaron Wheeler doesn’t have Big Ten-level skills and hasn’t taken the time to develop them.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either ignorant of basketball or is related to him.

(BTW, I would never have brought this up on my own. He seems like a great kid. But those claiming he’s a net positive from an on-court perspective are being ridiculous.

Here’s hoping he proves us wrong, but he certainly hasn’t yet.)

Last edited:
Uh....do you actually watch the games? He can’t stay in front of any 4 with a decent handle.

Do you watch? No one can “stay in front.” Over half the time, Wheeler is filling the weak side, then having to help inside as drives blow by his teammates or they get shot over, with Edey being the lone exception. Wheeler is the only one with the size and quickness to do that.

It should be obvious to anyone watching that Aaron Wheeler doesn’t have Big Ten-level skills and hasn’t taken the time to develop them.

Anyone who claims otherwise is either ignorant of basketball or is related to him.

(BTW, I would never have brought this up on my own. He seems like a great kid. But those claiming he’s a net positive from an on-court perspective are being ridiculous.

What is obvious is your inability to read, let alone display any knowledge of basketball beyond dribbling on yourself, something apparently inherited.

As noted previously, at least by literates, Wheeler’s game rating as per Purdue was the team’s second-highest against VU. Also, as a junior, he’s second in rebounds, third in steals, fifth in assists and the only Big Ten forward on the roster.

And while Wheeler plays on with his coach’s blessing, your opinions only swirl in a stool.

Reactions: mathboy
Do you watch? No one can “stay in front.” Over half the time, Wheeler is filling the weak side, then having to help inside as drives blow by his teammates or they get shot over, with Edey being the lone exception. Wheeler is the only one with the size and quickness to do that.
Wheeler is a pretty good help defender. Guarding his own man, not so much.

Not a terrible defender overall, but it’s not enough for him to hang his hat on as a mediocre shooter. I like him as an energy guy off the bench for 15 minutes a game.

Wheeler is a pretty good help defender. Guarding his own man, not so much.

Not a terrible defender overall, but it’s not enough for him to hang his hat on as a mediocre shooter. I like him as an energy guy off the bench for 15 minutes a game.

We'd need more than energy playing midgets for 25 minutes a game.

Well CMP has had some misses recruiting at the 4... until now.

Yeah, but short of a Swanigan, we seldom see freshman forwards thrive in the Big Ten, especially fresh out of sub-1,000 enrollment high schools. They’ll need time and veteran assistance. Like the ol’ redbird teaching young teammates how to really pinch cheeks.

Yeah, but short of a Swanigan, we seldom see freshman forwards thrive in the Big Ten, especially fresh out of sub-1,000 enrollment high schools. They’ll need time and veteran assistance. Like the ol’ redbird teaching young teammates how to really pinch cheeks.
I’d be happy with a Rob or Vince frosh year.

Yeah but unlike many recruits in the past they won't be asked to carry the load with the depth we're building.

Last edited:

This looks like a troll bait post. You can’t honestly mean what you have posted. Nobody want to appear this dumb on purpose, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT