ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Hunter

Some people did not want Hunter to come back. And some of them also complained that Edey is an old-school center, which Purdue should avoid. Just think about if both were gone next season.
I'm glad to have Edey coming back from an experience perspective. But quite frankly, he gets easily exposed against smaller lineups. The college game has changed too much to continue to recruit non-mobile big men.

I'm glad to have Edey coming back from an experience perspective. But quite frankly, he gets easily exposed against smaller lineups. The college game has changed too much to continue to recruit non-mobile big men.
It provides Purdue a potential advantage at one end, but, at the cost of an equal potential disadvantage at the other end.

There still is no indication that he can play 30 mpg or more either.

The game is largely guard-centric now, and, just much more reliant on athleticism than it has been in the past as well.

There is literally no better proof than the St. Peter's game where Edey was not a difference maker at all despite having the greatest advantage on the floor from a size standpoint.

27% 3p%, 67% FT, 3.2 turnovers per game. I’d rather develop Morton and smith there.

It's not a popular opinion, but I agree. Purdue will most certainly add someone at PG for depth, but I'm ok with it being an under the radar guy at this point. I would take Hunter back in a heartbeat too, but if he wants to try something different his last year I don't fault him.

I'm intrigued by Morton getting some PG minutes by default. A lineup of Morton, Newman, Wadell/Heide Kaufman, Furst would be an interesting blend of skill and guys who could potentially switch/rotate on D in ways that have been limited due to matchups in recent seasons.

It's not a popular opinion, but I agree. Purdue will most certainly add someone at PG for depth, but I'm ok with it being an under the radar guy at this point. I would take Hunter back in a heartbeat too, but if he wants to try something different his last year I don't fault him.

I'm intrigued by Morton getting some PG minutes by default. A lineup of Morton, Newman, Wadell/Heide Kaufman, Furst would be an interesting blend of skill and guys who could potentially switch/rotate on D in ways that have been limited due to matchups in recent seasons.
It really wouldn't shock me if Painter wasn't already working with Morton last year to be a PG for this year. Granted last year had a very small sample size, I think with more time there and as smart and skilled as he is, he can adjust and as you said really opens up the lineup some.

I really like where the team will "stand" next season in that we will be an under the radar type team with mediocre expectations. That is when we generally excel and surprise.

At this point...barring something unforeseen, is there anyone left that is not an under the radar guy? And, to that point, how many such guys have proven to be not just good, but, difference makers of any sort?

Yes, Hunter returning would be incredibly welcomed at this point...for that matter, he might even qualify as an under the radar guy to others.

I just am really hard pressed in not having seen Morton at the point in two years that he suddenly is going to move there, and, again...make a difference. There were opportunities both years, but, certainly last year (and maybe more so in part due to his having been sick the prior year).

Only at Purdue could the idea of a guy that has not played the point at all and that is not athletic or able to get to the basket or in the lane, alongside a guy that had little to no interest coming out of HS be deemed intriguing.

I am not trying to be mean or knock you directly, as, others have the same thought(s).

Obviously, I am on the negative side of things at the moment...just very disappointed that things stand as they do.

Purdue might be able to get by with Morton having minutes at the point, but, it is out of desperation opposed to his skills...but, Purdue has taken a pretty significant step back unfortunately from last year, on the heels of last year having ended in very disappointing fashion.

As it stands, he may HAVE to play PG, whether he should or not...either way, Purdue has some issues in the backcourt...which is disappointing in that there already has been discussion here about how the game is much more backcourt/guard-driven now.

EHJ doesn’t really move the needle. He would be an upgrade to having to play Smith, but guard play will still be a weakness next year. I’m not sure why anyone would complain about Edey, because he’s the only guy keeping us as a potential top 25 team.
Hunter is not an NBA player that everyone wants, but he would be the steady influence this team will need. As a 5th-year senior who has been through the wars, I would like to see how he responds when more is expected of him. And he's a good defender.

Hunter is not an NBA player that everyone wants, but he would be the steady influence this team will need. As a 5th-year senior who has been through the wars, I would like to see how he responds when more is expected of him. And he's a good defender.
That’s what I meant by saying he would be an upgrade to Smith.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That’s what I meant by saying he would be an upgrade to Smith.
I agree. He would allow Smith to acclimate himself to the college game. And does anyone know the status of Smith's injury? If he isn't ready to practice this summer, he will have a rough start. We have seen it before.

Reactions: Schnelk
I agree. He would allow Smith to acclimate himself to the college game. And does anyone know the status of Smith's injury? If he isn't ready to practice this summer, he will have a rough start. We have seen it before.
Doesn’t sound like he will be trashy to practice until July. Brian released an article last night saying Smith will be in for big minutes next year. Same with Loyer. Will be a rough year.

Looking like Tyrese to Louisville with the Colonel Sanders and Poopy John’s pizza money. Back to their old ways now.

I still prefer Original Recipe NIL in small bills with a splash of bourbon.

original

They can have him… I did not think he would be a good fit. Louisville will be better for his style of play.

Reactions: pboiler18
He is clearly not coming to Purdue....We have dropped the NIL ball....If you are a top targeted transfer and see the kind of money others are getting....Why not take your time and here everyone's pitches...I think the NIL thing will be totally different in a few years but for now it's anew way to recruit and I don't get why Purdue seems so far off base

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT