ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter fun

“Fire Painter”, “Hope Colvin and Catchings Decommit”….more of Bone’s greatest hits…

…but he’s an ND football fan so you have to cut him some slack…
Let's hold judgement until we see what happens in March. We've been the November champions for 2 years running now, but that hasn't translated to tourney success when it matters.

Let's hold judgement until we see what happens in March. We've been the November champions for 2 years running now, but that hasn't translated to tourney success when it matters.
So if he bows out first weekend he’s gone…but if he gets to the second weekend he’s good?

Don't let them beat you up bone. Given your expectations that Purdue should be setting the bar for success at final fours and national championships, I agree that you won't have any confirmation of whether Painter can be successful until March and April

Reactions: bonefish1
Even Hall of Fame baseball players fail 70% of the time at the plate.

Hall-of-famer alright....haha. We just need Bob Sheppard.

"Ladies and Gentlemen....entlemen....tlemen. Welcome to...... Boiler Upload.....load....load.
Now posting in the Fire Matt Painter thread.....thread....ead....
Number Five, the Purdue NIL Captain.......Lenny....enny.....ennny.....Poster Number Five!"

e5b5f8d7383e89622aff9bfcecd4764b69-07-bob-sheppard.rsquare.w400.jpg

So if he bows out first weekend he’s gone…but if he gets to the second weekend he’s good?
Bowing out in the first weekend would be an absolute failure.
Losing a S16 game would even be considerable underachieving

When does the expectation of a FF become the bar for success?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Don't let them beat you up bone. Given your expectations that Purdue should be setting the bar for success at final fours and national championships, I agree that you won't have any confirmation of whether Painter can be successful until March and April
Ha ha. We could very well have the conundrum of the most successful regular season coach while at the same time, the least successful tourney coach.

There's no reason why Purdue shouldn't expect to be in the FF.

They should be. But single elimination tourneys make that hard to do. Gotta have some luck on your side to get there.

Reactions: Flot
They should be. But single elimination tourneys make that hard to do. Gotta have some luck on your side to get there.
It’s been 40 years. Luck might play a small role, but there’s only been a few games where bad luck was involved. Certainly not during the last 3 years.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
It’s been 40 years. Luck might play a small role, but there’s only been a few games where bad luck was involved. Certainly not during the last 3 years.
Let's face it, you didn't think we'd be this good....Painter has vastly out performed your expectations....keep harping on March, if we get there healthy and a good draw we'll go far but until then I'm enjoying this unprecedented Purdue team that you ripped on all offseason ....all you have now is to talk about something a few months away for a weekend or 2....while the rest of us can appreciate good basketball by a bunch of underrated guys that want to win in the worst way....

Let's face it, you didn't think we'd be this good....Painter has vastly out performed your expectations....keep harping on March, if we get there healthy and a good draw we'll go far but until then I'm enjoying this unprecedented Purdue team that you ripped on all offseason ....all you have now is to talk about something a few months away for a weekend or 2....while the rest of us can appreciate good basketball by a bunch of underrated guys that want to win in the worst way....
I’m enjoying the season, Painter has them playing well. But he almost always has them playing well during the regular season.
I know you’re happy with November championships, but it’s time to raise your expectations and not be happy just getting to the tourney.

Edey, Carsen Edwards, and Ivey, too. Edey was another Matt ten Dam, Edwards was too small, 3 stars, and 3rd option, and Ivey was unrated with no other major offerts when he committed.
Oh, Lil Andy, my naive young friend. Go back and read my comments (I know you have the time between your next online gaming session) on Edwards and Ivey. I nailed those before they ever committed and were just recruits.

Oh, Lil Andy, my naive young friend. Go back and read my comments (I know you have the time between your next online gaming session) on Edwards and Ivey. I nailed those before they ever committed and were just recruits.
Nope. Not surprised you are denying it. If nothing else, you were coinsistent about Painter's failures at landing your coveted 5-star guys. You considered them a continuation of Painter's recruiting failures. You never wavered on that -- until after they proved you wrong. You said the same thing about Carsen that you did about Smith. Oh, and you insisted that Smith couldn't dunk even though posters here witnessed it and there was video.

Nope. Not surprised you are denying it. If nothing else, you were coinsistent about Painter's failures at landing your coveted 5-star guys. You considered them a continuation of Painter's recruiting failures. You never wavered on that -- until after they proved you wrong. You said the same thing about Carsen that you did about Smith. Oh, and you insisted that Smith couldn't dunk even though posters here witnessed it and there was video.
Still barking up that tree Lil Andy? At least switch to Smith whom I fully admit I didn’t want to get a scholarship.

Still barking up that tree Lil Andy? At least switch to Smith whom I fully admit I didn’t want to get a scholarship.
Yes, Smith, too. You gave the same reasons for Edwards being a recruiting failure that you gave for Smith. And you were wrong about both.

And Edey, who you compared with Matt ten Dam. You aren't batting near 30%. But it is interesting to note that you have stopped sounding like a broken record with all of your talk about Painter's failure to land 5-star players. Anyone who has been on this forum more than a few years knows about your "harping and carping" (your words) about Painter recruiting players that were not recruited by the blue bloods. You have cut-and-pasted the same criticisms for at least a decade. Looks like even you now may have learned what others see.

Yes, Smith, too. You gave the same reasons for Edwards being a recruiting failure that you gave for Smith. And you were wrong about both.

And Edey, who you compared with Matt ten Dam. You aren't batting near 30%. But it is interesting to note that you have stopped sounding like a broken record with all of your talk about Painter's failure to land 5-star players. Anyone who has been on this forum more than a few years knows about your "harping and carping" (your words) about Painter recruiting players that were not recruited by the blue bloods. You have cut-and-pasted the same criticisms for at least a decade. Looks like even you now may have learned what others see.
Not sure I've ever used the word "carping" in my entire life.
But, I will reiterate a stance I've maintained, which is that Painter has proven to be able to build solid regular season teams with rosters of players who weren't highly recruited (most of them). However, with arguably Painter having his best teams over the last 3 years, what has that translated to in tourney success?
So, the question remains: Does water/talent find it's level when it matters most?

So, the question remains: Does water/talent find it's level when it matters most?
Agree that it's an open question, i.e. you can't prove that something works until you actually see it work.

There are some clear instances where MP has identified elite talent that was under the radar (Carsen, Jaden, Zach, potentially Braden) but you can look at the 247 database and see that there have also been a lot of highly recruited players that Purdue offered but hasn't landed.

Agree that it's an open question, i.e. you can't prove that something works until you actually see it work.

There are some clear instances where MP has identified elite talent that was under the radar (Carsen, Jaden, Zach, potentially Braden) but you can look at the 247 database and see that there have also been a lot of highly recruited players that Purdue offered but hasn't landed.
agree, a huge part of the coaches job is landing impact recruits. Painter has gone after some highly ranked guys, landed a few, missed on more. That happens.
But what is happening between Painter building these really good teams in the regular season but then seeing them underperform in the tourney?

Forgot about Mgbako - he will test the NBA waters for sure. Maybe NBA/portal to gauge options.

I think Gunn stays. Without X, he has a chance to start.

Galloway might be better for both parties to go separate ways. IU needs impact players and he isn’t it.

McNeely is gonna be in the same boat as Mgbako - playing the wrong position and getting abused.

They better put that NIL money to work and go hit the portal hard.
Isn’t Galloway a senior?

Never for me. It's a single-elimination tournament that isn't a true indicator of success. That's why none of the best teams (seeds 1-3) made it there last year. So many factors outside of just being good that have to come together. Even the reigning NCAA champion lost to a double-digit seed in the first round the year before. As long as we're doing good things during the regular season, that's fine with me. I also believe if you keep putting yourself in good position, you are bound to break through.

Reactions: Flot
…… and 29 year-old Covid players, add-a-piece transfers and NIL deals spreading $$$$ all over the place. There’s parity everywhere at March Madness.

Love that this team is calm at different defenses being tossed their way and finding ways to win when fatigue and shots aren’t falling. Love Smith is being an aggressive facilitator, scoring aggressively when others are off and doing both at times. Stud. Lance “Double-FU” Jones. Love that guy. Eddy a constant great.

March Madness a little over a month away. Can’t wait…..

True, but Purdue's shortcomings have hardly been because of bad luck.

I'll give you the UVA game, but North Texas, Arkansas Little Rock, FDU, St. Peter's were not because of bad luck.
Say whaaa? Did you not see the ALR game? You'd be hard pressed to find another player who exhibited a better example of "demonic-like possession" than ALR's Hagins that night. Played absolutely out of his ass that game. He likely never repeated that performance ever again, even in his back yard playing against his kids.

Say whaaa? Did you not see the ALR game? You'd be hard pressed to find another player who exhibited a better example of "demonic-like possession" than ALR's Hagins that night. Played absolutely out of his ass that game. He likely never repeated that performance ever again, even in his back yard playing against his kids.
I'm still trying to figure out the physics behind how that corner three went in.

I'm still trying to figure out the physics behind how that corner three went in.

That is where I guess one could argue there is some luck involved.....when shots like that fall (I'd give most people five+ racks and bet they couldn't duplicate that....haha).....and some logo attempts....wow.
However, you could just tell from the flow of the game.....Boilers were in trouble. And, Purdue had plenty of chances to take that game but made some big mistakes down the stretch.....the Johnny Hill drive/stumble/whatever was the capper and I suppose a fitting way for that torture to end.

Thanks for the memories, ZZ! haha................

200w.gif

Still lost to Arkansas-Little Rock. That's not bad luck.

Still lost to Arkansas-Little Rock. That's not bad luck.
Respectfully disagree. You concede that luck was a factor against UVA but not ALR?

Josh Hagins' performance in the ALR game was more statistically anomalous than Diakite's single lucky shot. Did you know that Hagins had never scored 30 pts in his collegiate career, and his season high that year was a 20pt effort against mighty UT Arlington?

Don't you remember his unbelievable late game, turn-around, fade away 3pt jumper from the logo against the shot clock? Much more lucky than Diakite's shot.

Your criteria for what qualifies as "lucky" just...baffles me.

Yeah, I think there is misunderstanding of some on what is bad luck and what is playing poorly and getting beat by a better team that night. Robbie in the barn, that is bad luck. Haas getting broken wing, that is bad luck. Not being able to keep another team from scoring and missing your own shots are not bad luck. Big difference. Folks keep saying that so and so had a "career" night. They had a career night against our defense. That isn't bad luck. Yes, in some cases they hit some very difficult shots, but we also missed some very makeable shots in all of those games. We also had too many turnovers in those games all of which are not "luck" they are playing poorly.

Respectfully disagree. You concede that luck was a factor against UVA but not ALR?

Josh Hagins' performance in the ALR game was more statistically anomalous than Diakite's single lucky shot. Did you know that Hagins had never scored 30 pts in his collegiate career, and his season high that year was a 20pt effort against mighty UT Arlington?

Don't you remember his unbelievable late game, turn-around, fade away 3pt jumper from the logo against the shot clock? Much more lucky than Diakite's shot.

Your criteria for what qualifies as "lucky" just...baffles me.
ALR was a 12-seed. Purdue was a heavy favorite. Losing to a 12 seed is not bad luck. Purdue got beat, plain and simple and didn't deserve to win.

UVA was a 1 seed and went on to win the National Championship. Purdue was the underdog against UVA, but was much more deserving of winning this game than it was of winning against ALR.

These two are not even close. Your perspective baffles me.

Yeah, I think there is misunderstanding of some on what is bad luck and what is playing poorly and getting beat by a better team that night. Robbie in the barn, that is bad luck. Haas getting broken wing, that is bad luck. Not being able to keep another team from scoring and missing your own shots are not bad luck. Big difference. Folks keep saying that so and so had a "career" night. They had a career night against our defense. That isn't bad luck. Yes, in some cases they hit some very difficult shots, but we also missed some very makeable shots in all of those games. We also had too many turnovers in those games all of which are not "luck" they are playing poorly.
I agree with most of those examples as being bad luck. But couldn't "bad luck" also include running into a team who has a guy with a career night? Or having an NCAAT game reffed by a guy who appears to have a veiled hatred for your team?

Regarding your comment about "they had a career night against our defense", honestly, how would you change the defense to guard against turn around jump shots at the logo? What modifications would you make to guard a guy at the 3pt line who doesn't shoot 3's, but suddenly hits one in a game against you?

Sometimes the other team is going to make unbelievable (and statistically improbable!) shots against your team and it has nothing, nothing to do with your team's defense. That, my friend, is textbook luck.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT