ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter fun

ALR was a 12-seed. Purdue was a heavy favorite. Losing to a 12 seed is not bad luck. Purdue got beat, plain and simple and didn't deserve to win.

UVA was a 1 seed and went on to win the National Championship. Purdue was the underdog against UVA, but was much more deserving of winning this game than it was of winning against ALR.

These two are not even close. Your perspective baffles me.
Just trying to understand. In your estimation luck has everything to do with how high the teams are seeded?

I agree with most of those examples as being bad luck. But couldn't "bad luck" also include running into a team who has a guy with a career night? Or having an NCAAT game reffed by a guy who appears to have a veiled hatred for your team?

Regarding your comment about "they had a career night against our defense", honestly, how would you change the defense to guard against turn around jump shots at the logo? What modifications would you make to guard a guy at the 3pt line who doesn't shoot 3's, but suddenly hits one in a game against you?

Sometimes the other team is going to make unbelievable (and statistically improbable!) shots against your team and it has nothing, nothing to do with your team's defense. That, my friend, is textbook luck.
You're picking out a handful of shots in a game. Guys are going to hit tough shots, it happens. But if you think we lost to those teams because of "bad luck" we'll just have to agree to disagree. We played poorly and got beat, I don't think luck had anything to do with it and you do. We play to our ability in any of those upsets, and they don't happen. You look it as bad luck happening to us, I look it like we did it to ourselves by playing poorly.

Maybe I can say it a different way: In any of our losses to double digit seeds, do you think we played to our ability? Do you think we played well? Do you think CMP would say we played well? I'm saying NO to all of those and that's why I don't believe we lost because of bad luck.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Just trying to understand. In your estimation luck has everything to do with how high the teams are seeded?
No, my point in addressing the seeding was to highlight how bad of a loss it was by Purdue. There wasn't just one fluke and/or lucky play that led to the loss. Purdue just got beat over the course of 40 minutes and had nobody who could stay with/defend that guard on ALR, not even Rapheal Davis.

The UVA loss was bad luck in that the missed FT, ball going back behind halfcourt to Clark, and pass to Diakite and shot to force OT -- there was a TON of luck involved in that sequence.

You're picking out a handful of shots in a game. Guys are going to hit tough shots, it happens. But if you think we lost to those teams because of "bad luck" we'll just have to agree to disagree. We played poorly and got beat, I don't think luck had anything to do with it and you do. We play to our ability in any of those upsets, and they don't happen. You look it as bad luck happening to us, I look it like we did it to ourselves by playing poorly.

Maybe I can say it a different way: In any of our losses to double digit seeds, do you think we played to our ability? Do you think we played well? Do you think CMP would say we played well? I'm saying NO to all of those and that's why I don't believe we lost because of bad luck.
Some people want to believe that luck is never a factor, yet official statistical sites like KenPom actually attempt to quantify luck in their analyses.

There are so many soul-crushing losses in our NCAAT history. Each one has a different story and reason for our demise. For the record, I never said that our losses to double digit seeds were due to luck. I was referring only to UVA and ALR. Even Boiler Deac insinuated that luck was at play against UVA.

Here's my official take on all the losses discussed in this thread:

Arkansas Little Rock -- Luck
UVA -- Luck
North Texas -- Youth (we were among the youngest teams in the NCAA that year) vs a veteran team
St. Peters -- An ugly combination of Ivey's obstinance and awful reffing
FDU -- A combo of poor offensive execution, freshmen guards hitting the "wall" and not taking the competition seriously

To answer your question more broadly, when I claim that "luck" is why we lost in those first two instances, I am not merely taking a reductionist view and blaming an isolated factor. I try to look at a whole host of things when analyzing a loss, and generally speaking it is comes down to an aggregate of little things that contributed to our downfall.

That said, there is usually a major contributing factor that sticks out more than the others. It comes down to a matter of opinion at that point, but "luck" is certainly one of those factors.

I agree with most of those examples as being bad luck. But couldn't "bad luck" also include running into a team who has a guy with a career night? Or having an NCAAT game reffed by a guy who appears to have a veiled hatred for your team?

Regarding your comment about "they had a career night against our defense", honestly, how would you change the defense to guard against turn around jump shots at the logo? What modifications would you make to guard a guy at the 3pt line who doesn't shoot 3's, but suddenly hits one in a game against you?

Sometimes the other team is going to make unbelievable (and statistically improbable!) shots against your team and it has nothing, nothing to do with your team's defense. That, my friend, is textbook luck.
I guess just foul the sH^%^ out of them? Get them out of rhythm?! 😂

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
No, my point in addressing the seeding was to highlight how bad of a loss it was by Purdue. There wasn't just one fluke and/or lucky play that led to the loss. Purdue just got beat over the course of 40 minutes and had nobody who could stay with/defend that guard on ALR, not even Rapheal Davis.

The UVA loss was bad luck in that the missed FT, ball going back behind halfcourt to Clark, and pass to Diakite and shot to force OT -- there was a TON of luck involved in that sequence.
What wasn’t luck was cline missing 1 of his 2 FTs before that all went down

I'll drink to that!!! Hey, luck runs both ways. (No offense, Ryan...)
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

• Haha
While we wait for Minny game, this guy made another one of those zany recap reels from the IU game.

Catch Lance's feet around 11 seconds. They are pointed towards the sideline somewhat. I mentioned this in another thread someplace that it appeared Lance in the IU game over stride at times and specifically remembered this one. I don't recall his footwork having the errors this one did or him being off against IU. Then watch his feet at 3:39 when he makes it

Last edited:
Catch Lance's feet around 11 seconds. They are pointed towards the sideline somewhat. I mentioned this in another thread someplace that it appeared Lance in the IU game over stride at times and specifically remembered this one. I don't recall his footwork having the errors this one did or him being off against IU. Then watch his feet at 3:39 when he makes it
Tj, if it happens again in tonight’s game, you gotta relay this info to them. I’m sure you have a connection, but if not, we will have to figure one out.

I like this approach. When things aren't going according to plan, just go all Cryin' Chrissy Collins on them and start fouling their best player like an angry grizzly bear.
In all seriousness though, when a player is just on fire, I think it would be worth it to try and foul them. Not dirty but just to get them
Out of rhythm and maybe do it once more to see if you can get in their head an throw em
Off…what else do you got to lose?!?

Tj, if it happens again in tonight’s game, you gotta relay this info to them. I’m sure you have a connection, but if not, we will have to figure one out.
didn't really notice it tonight, but did notice he was too aggressive trying to score more less hunting some shots and driving when there was no place to go the first half. before the game I caught fletcher struggling a bit behind the the top of the arc and when he finally hit one he quit and moved to the FT line missed the first and hit the next and headed to the huddle to start the game. Did they show Dave Schellhase at half? I tried to record it and apparently I never got it or had it set for too few of seconds, but was going to post it here. Billy Keller was there. Jon Octeus (sp?) was there as well as Jaden Ivey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT