ADVERTISEMENT

Trump's Parade

The mall seemed full all around the pool, not bad considering the weather.
Gaffes aside, it was a pretty simplistic history lesson. He stayed on script and showed that without his normal lies and partisan attacks he really doesn't inspire in his speeches. I thought the text was horrible and over the top in military content. Conversely, I thought the D Day speech was really good.

Pretty sad that he exceeded expectations by not making it a partisan event.
He could sing a Gene Autry song and you'd still hate the man. At least he's putting America first again.

I would be able to decide about this event if the government had been transparent about the amount of money spent. As it is I can't really decide.

"Facts First:The White House and federal agencies involved in the Salute to America event declined to provide cost estimates, so it's impossible to determine the exact price tag. Still, it's safe to say that the costs incurred by the federal government as well as the city of Washington DC and other regional economies will be in the millions of dollars, and go well beyond the cost of fuel and include security and logistical costs. In addition, many of the planes are coming from much farther than "right next door.""

What if we had the $50 billion in assets that Obama gave to Iran? That would go a lot longer towards providing for those who have served.
I'm not looking it up, but thought it was 150 billion released, but I've been wrong plenty of times before and then some cash sent as well? Every administration has had waste, but not all rewarded those that chant death to America. Seems like 1979 was not so long ago, but there have been many instances since then.

The world is corrupt...some countries more than others. Quite a litany of events the last few years and even today that would have been unheard of years ago. Crazy...

I'm not looking it up, but thought it was 150 billion released, but I've been wrong plenty of times before and then some cash sent as well? Every administration has had waste, but not all rewarded those that chant death to America. Seems like 1979 was not so long ago, but there have been many instances since then.

The world is corrupt...some countries more than others. Quite a litany of events the last few years and even today that would have been unheard of years ago. Crazy...
If I remember correctly, the $150 Billion was a result of the sanctions Obama lifted. The $50 Billion came from a direct contribution by Obama and Hillary.

Frozen assets in overseas banks from sanctions on Iran's nuclear program. Wasn't just the US, it was all members of the JCPA that released the funds. And it wasn't $150 billion, not that it matters.
It was Iran's money, not that it matters.
We also gave them some $1.8 billion in cash........it was also their money.........they paid us for arms before the overthrow of the Shah. We obviously sent no weapons. Paid them back plus a lot of interest. World court was ready to rule in Iran's favor, the number would have been higher.
Not that it matters.

Last edited:
Frozen assets in overseas banks from sanctions on Iran's nuclear program. Wasn't just the US, it was all members of the JCPA that released the funds
So you mean we gave them back their money so that we could make an agreement with them? Kinda like president Trump giving back money to the Trump University people so that he could become President,
I see.

Frozen assets in overseas banks from sanctions on Iran's nuclear program. Wasn't just the US, it was all members of the JCPA that released the funds. And it wasn't $150 billion, not that it matters.
It was Iran's money, not that it matters.
We also gave them some $1.8 billion in cash........it was also their money.........they paid us for arms before the overthrow of the Shah. We obviously sent no weapons. Paid them back plus a lot of interest. World court was ready to rule in Iran's favor, the number would have been higher.
Not that it matters.
Yes, it was money that we held
Money not released by several president terms until Obama did it. Why now? Why not before obama? Nobody made obama do it. He wanted to for whatever reason he had. I cant speculate his reasons and nobody REALLY knows, but it happened. It is not like they are a friendly country to the us or that pressure just now during the obama term was applied. Obama wanted to do it for his reasons.

As I recall, the money was Iranian assets not American. Is my memory faulty?
You are right...well what I remember. It was Iranians assets when reagan,bush,clinton,bush had their terms as well. Why now?

So you mean we gave them back their money so that we could make an agreement with them? Kinda like president Trump giving back money to the Trump University people so that he could become President,
I see.
Only the trump university terrorist groups...

You are right...well what I remember. It was Iranians assets when reagan,bush,clinton,bush had their terms as well. Why now?
Is that not a different question than was asked, and to which I replied, and incidentally to which I haven't really considered nor to which I was attempting to respond? Not try to be a d*ck with this response, btw, just haven't really considered or reviewed enough to respond reasonably.

What if we had the $50 billion in assets that Obama gave to Iran? That would go a lot longer towards providing for those who have served.

If I remember correctly, the $150 Billion was a result of the sanctions Obama lifted. The $50 Billion came from a direct contribution by Obama and Hillary.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...nald-trump-iran-150-billion-and-18-billion-c/

Yes, it was money that we held
Money not released by several president terms until Obama did it. Why now? Why not before obama? Nobody made obama do it. He wanted to for whatever reason he had. I cant speculate his reasons and nobody REALLY knows, but it happened. It is not like they are a friendly country to the us or that pressure just now during the obama term was applied. Obama wanted to do it for his reasons.
All the parties to the JCPA agreed to it, it wasn't just us. And it was obviously done to help facilitate the agreement. It was their money, we released some of it to help make the deal.
Agree with the decision or not, the US didn't give Iran $150 billion of our dollars.....as Trump and his followers say we did.

Is that not a different question than was asked, and to which I replied, and incidentally to which I haven't really considered nor to which I was attempting to respond? Not try to be a d*ck with this response, btw, just haven't really considered or reviewed enough to respond reasonably.
I dont consider you being a dick. I just think the obvious question is why now? I think that question doesn't have to be asked as it is a fundamental question for almost everything.

All the parties to the JCPA agreed to it, it wasn't just us. And it was obviously done to help facilitate the agreement. It was their money, we released some of it to help make the deal.
Agree with the decision or not, the US didn't give Iran $150 billion of our dollars.....as Trump and his followers say we did.
Not sure anyone has said we gave 150 billion of "our," dollars. I'll have to look through the posts to see if anyone said it was technically "our" money.

... the US didn't give Iran $150 billion of our dollars...
Dead stop here. Engaging them gives their delusions credibility.

Iranians, doesn't matter the leadership, and as would be true in any business transaction, had paid the US for products they never received due to the revolution. Interest was applied to the repayment, as would happen in most capitalistic transactions.

Reactions: 70boiler
I dont consider you being a dick. I just think the obvious question is why now? I think that question doesn't have to be asked as it is a fundamental question for almost everything.
I am certainly not naive and have no illusion that the action was simply a gratuitous transfer without either hope for or agreement of some manner of recompense. However, the fundamental remains the same, it was their money which was being retained without a legitimate claim for retention apart from "we believe that they are bad people with a system of which we disapprove."

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Not sure anyone has said we gave 150 billion of "our," dollars. I'll have to look through the posts to see if anyone said it was technically "our" money.
lol. I don't care if anyone said it in this thread or not. Trump says it and so do his followers.......anytime someone criticizes him on his Iran policy. There are obviously many places to find political conversations.

Reactions: Bill4411

I see.
A LAWSUIT involving hundreds of people who got absolutely ripped off by Trump University resulted in a check written personally by Trump for $25 mil.
Had he not settled out of court, legal experts in 2016 predicted an eventual court judgment would have been for far more.

Reactions: indy35
He could sing a Gene Autry song and you'd still hate the man. At least he's putting America first again.
It's not necessary to hate someone that's a narcissistic, megalomaniacal serial liar......but he could sing THREE Gene Autry songs and throw in a couple from Hank Williams...and he's the same guy....
P.S.....Donald Trump is putting Donald Trump first.

lol. I don't care if anyone said it in this thread or not. Trump says it and so do his followers.......anytime someone criticizes him on his Iran policy. There are obviously many places to find political conversations.

There is nothing above that says it was "our" money. Again, I'm unaware of anyone suggesting it was "our" money in this thread or elsewhere. However, I'm sure I can find somewhere where someone stated such if I looked hard enough. Submitting "our" money given to Iran distorts what was stated and provides a whole different meaning than the postings suggested and naturally is easy to disprove suggesting the whole context is inaccurate...which is false.

Reactions: Purdue97
A LAWSUIT involving hundreds of people who got absolutely ripped off by Trump University resulted in a check written personally by Trump for $25 mil.
Had he not settled out of court, legal experts in 2016 predicted an eventual court judgment would have been for far more.
I think you have went down an entirely different path. Fan72 was suggesting Trump University was similar to the Iran money and assets, which it isn't.

I am certainly not naive and have no illusion that the action was simply a gratuitous transfer without either hope for or agreement of some manner of recompense. However, the fundamental remains the same, it was their money which was being retained without a legitimate claim for retention apart from "we believe that they are bad people with a system of which we disapprove."
gratuitous transfer covers a lot of meanings...a lot of meanings. ;) Again, whatever the "legitimacy" of retaining any money and assets that was held, the "legitimacy" never changed from the Reagan to Obama years and yet the assets and money was retained until Obama. What was the price to be paid for the 400+ days...which too is a tangential path to various topics within this conversation...which no doubt you and I are old enough to remember whereas some posters probably were not born.

Personally having met, eaten with and visited on various occasions (as he rode horses with a brother-in-law) prior to Jimmy Carter appointed him ambassador to Algiers (Ric or Ulric Haynes was in personnel at Cummins in Columbus, IN. ) and was one of the main negotiators in the hostage situation, it wasn't anything other than Reagan getting elected that freed the people that should have told us how to deal with Iran. Obviously, I like those before Obama, wouldn't have done a gratuitous transfer fully aware that it wasn't "our" money.

for grins and giggles an engineer I work with and like (Hossein Lotfalian) who still has two sisters in Iran as nuclear engineers would disagree with me as we have had our share of interesting conversations. Anyway, not "our" money and "I" do not believe Obama did the right thing and would have continued down the path of those before Obama staying away from gratuitous transfers or declaring the legitimacy of the retention no different than before Obama. Sure, I would expect some that frequent this site would disagree with me even though nobody has said it was our money. As Trump stated (and I agree), Obama shouldn't have done what he did...fully aware it was not "our" money.

Snowflake generals? Unbelievable!
Actually it is not unbelievable. Finding different opinions is quite common. I had a Navy Commander (deceased and buried in Arlington) and two colonels (one deceased and one still alive)...all relatives that would hold and held similar opinions.

Sometime around 2010 I'm guessing I was tailgating at Notre Dame with my daughter's roomate (65th legacy of ND), her mother and her mother's friend. There was a retired general (I don't recall the rank, but think it was the army) that said many of his friends were retiring and didn't like the direction Obama was taking in the military (which today we know was not a military supporter compared to many before him). Now that is not to suggest that most think Obama's direction cultured snowflakes, but only to say that at least some considered other generals snowflakes.

Again, I'm not trying to suggest anything other than opinions that differ are quite common and that snowflake generals exist in at least a few minds of the military.

"tjreese

My comment was on the fact that LOU DOBBS called generals “snowflakes”. LOU DOBBS who never served in any way with any of our armed forces. What nerve DOBBS has to call any U.S. General a “snowflake”. Thus “unbelievable”

I think you have went down an entirely different path. Fan72 was suggesting Trump University was similar to the Iran money and assets, which it isn't.
True. MY path was for those, only, who might have forgotten what the Trump U. story (multiple states' attorneys general + students) was originally all about.

There is nothing above that says it was "our" money. Again, I'm unaware of anyone suggesting it was "our" money in this thread or elsewhere. However, I'm sure I can find somewhere where someone stated such if I looked hard enough. Submitting "our" money given to Iran distorts what was stated and provides a whole different meaning than the postings suggested and naturally is easy to disprove suggesting the whole context is inaccurate...which is false.
lol. So why don't you tell me what you believe the typical Trump voter thinks happened when they read that tweet?
Do you believe they go to Google to get the facts? Do you think Trump was vague by chance?

gratuitous transfer covers a lot of meanings...a lot of meanings. ;) Again, whatever the "legitimacy" of retaining any money and assets that was held, the "legitimacy" never changed from the Reagan to Obama years and yet the assets and money was retained until Obama. .... Sure, I would expect some that frequent this site would disagree with me even though nobody has said it was our money. As Trump stated (and I agree), Obama shouldn't have done what he did...fully aware it was not "our" money.
I suppose that my thought is that the US never had any "legitimacy " in retaining the assets once a ruling Iranian government became existent. It was either their money or it was not. Apart from a "what are you gonna do about it" mentality under what legal and internationally recognized theory were the funds being held by the US? I understand the "screw them, they're bad" mentality but I am not much into "might makes right " I am more of a "might makes it doable" kind of thinker. I can beat that loose dog in my trash with a stick too, but choose not to.

It's not necessary to hate someone that's a narcissistic, megalomaniacal serial liar......but he could sing THREE Gene Autry songs and throw in a couple from Hank Williams...and he's the same guy....
P.S.....Donald Trump is putting Donald Trump first.
So...was B. Hussein Obama a narcissist? How about Slick Willie? B. Hussein was ALL about B. Hussein, and Slick was about...well, you know.

Really Beth...even if a few of them are Snowflakes?

IMHO Lou Dobbs insulting and attacking the military, on the 4th of July!, as he did in his "snowflake" statements, is unpatriotic and ungrateful. Where was he during the Vietnam War as he would certainly have been of the age to serve? Someone who has never served has no business criticizing the bravery or effectiveness of our most accomplished members of the U.S. military. It's one thing to criticize statements or actions but this personal attack on U.S. Generals is unacceptable. Honestly I sometimes think Lou Dobbs has frontal lobe dementia.

So...was B. Hussein Obama a narcissist? How about Slick Willie? B. Hussein was ALL about B. Hussein, and Slick was about...well, you know.
Donald Trump has more narcissistic cells in his FINGERNAIL CLIPPINGS than Clinton and Obama bodies' combined. Ya' wanna talk about Trump's HUMILITY next ?? Bring it.

IMHO Lou Dobbs insulting and attacking the military, on the 4th of July!, as he did in his "snowflake" statements, is unpatriotic and ungrateful. Where was he during the Vietnam War as he would certainly have been of the age to serve? Someone who has never served has no business criticizing the bravery or effectiveness of our most accomplished members of the U.S. military. It's one thing to criticize statements or actions but this personal attack on U.S. Generals is unacceptable. Honestly I sometimes think Lou Dobbs has frontal lobe dementia.
And who could ever forget the immortal words uttered by a 2016 Presidential Candidate when assessing the Syrian conflict:...……." I know more than the Generals " ?

When that happens I'll consider your suggestion.
Right now I'll stick to pointing out how you were freakin WRONG again........ you were in such a hurry to bitch you didn't take the time to actually READ what was posted.
You do realize your link was correcting yet another fake news story about Trump that also mentions the event I referenced, right? ROFL.

I suppose that my thought is that the US never had any "legitimacy " in retaining the assets once a ruling Iranian government became existent. It was either their money or it was not. Apart from a "what are you gonna do about it" mentality under what legal and internationally recognized theory were the funds being held by the US? I understand the "screw them, they're bad" mentality but I am not much into "might makes right " I am more of a "might makes it doable" kind of thinker. I can beat that loose dog in my trash with a stick too, but choose not to.
When that dog is an Islamic warhawk with fissile material get back to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT