ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman

Okay. That was the heart of my point. It doesn't really seem to mean anything. I've never heard of a way to look at one player and say, "he's not done growing", vs another player that is.

It's all good.

Sure you can. I've coached for nearly 40 years and have coached thousands of young men and women over the years and you can most definitely tell when someone has reached their peak physical maturity and others who haven't. I'm not suggesting that Kauffman has another 4 or 5 inches in him and that he'll be a 7 footer, but looking at Kauffman I don't believe he's done growing and has another inch or two in him before he steps foot on a college campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: neckster87
Sure you can. I've coached for nearly 40 years and have coached thousands of young men and women over the year and you can most definitely tell when someone has reached their peak physical maturity and others who haven't. I'm not suggesting that Kauffman has another 4 or 5 inches in him and that he'll be a 7 footer, but looking at Kauffman I don't believe he's done growing and has another inch or two in him before he steps foot on a college campus.
I understand he has some height in his family. Do you know if he has a younger brother or half brother or step brother that may reach 7'?

Reactions: Purdue85
Sure you can. I've coached for nearly 40 years and have coached thousands of young men and women over the years and you can most definitely tell when someone has reached their peak physical maturity and others who haven't. I'm not suggesting that Kauffman has another 4 or 5 inches in him and that he'll be a 7 footer, but looking at Kauffman I don't believe he's done growing and has another inch or two in him before he steps foot on a college campus.

I get it. That can be said of many players. It's a crap shoot.

In reality there are very few ways to know (i.e., tracking via monthly measure), and only one sure way (x-ray).

I understand he has some height in his family. Do you know if he has a younger brother or half brother or step brother that may reach 7'?

That's usually a good indicator, although it's been frustrating for many athletes who stop growing and have tall parents!

My wife's side of the family has a lot of height. Some of the kids stopped at average height, disappointing many of the coaches who were rubbing their hands waiting for that final "spurt" they just knew was on the way...!

Yeah not the most flattering for Kaufman but he had a teammate go off for +30 which is the only reason they won.

I think Painter is trying to sell a vision on how they can play side by side and create space for each other. If you look at MSU they basically have 2 PFs playing side by side. The two keys - one has to be able to hit from 3 to extend the defense and both have to be above average passers if/when a double comes.
The issue is that Tre will be a senior when they are freshman, so it’s tough to sell them playing at the 4 and 5 together. Painter will need to try to sell Kaufman on being 3 alongside Furst and Tre at the 4 and 5.

I get it. That can be said of many players. It's a crap shoot.

In reality there are very few ways to know (i.e., tracking via monthly measure), and only one sure way (x-ray).

Right, which is why I said I believed he may not be done growing. He doesn't look like a kid who has hit his peak physical maturity. But he's grown 2-3 inches since the start of high school.

I don't follow high school enough to have teh background in a given player relative to those basketball attributes I might see. There is a LOT of talent out there...a lot. Different talents, styles of play range over the map and other than the very top rated players thelines of demarcation are blurred. Who are the players that fit physically and mentally on a team, the ones that share a common focus and joins in with the leaders of a team for personal improvement...the ones that are NOT satisifed, but work daily to improve. Outside of the top talent it appears a bit of a crap shoot. Maybe the kids have all that, but misses home? Look at IU and the players Purdue recruited that went to IU or are going next year. On the IU bench you can find Davis that no doubt would have been a better player at Purdue. Anderson who rarely ever sees the court...Matt wanted. Franklin, he too hasn't played as much as his buddy Thompson. Will he look back and wonder what if? Phinisee, he does play but his teams have never beaten Purdue and he is half way through his career. How big of a gap would there be between Purdue and IU had TJD went to Purdue? IU almost always has higher rated players than Purdue, and in many cases players Purdue recruited, but Purdue still wins and so what are these things not rated that appear to make a difference...things that Matt thought were in IU players that Purdue recruited and apparently don't exist or don't today or at IU? I can't put all the differences due to coaching and we can't say that Purdue gets the higher rated players. Is there a "culture" that can go either way that all coaches want, but is fleeting for some, that has a direct bearing on individual growth? We all have been tempted to impulsive buying, to that shiny object...but can that be fools gold rather than a "more" substantive decision?

Changing direction a bit but what I am curious about is the height of Furst and Kaufman. I thought Furst was around 6'9-6'10" amd Kaufman was pushing 6'9"? Rivals states 6'7" for Kaufman and was hopeful he was a bit taller...which he may be?
WOW, now THAT is a great post!!!

I don't follow high school enough to have teh background in a given player relative to those basketball attributes I might see. There is a LOT of talent out there...a lot. Different talents, styles of play range over the map and other than the very top rated players thelines of demarcation are blurred. Who are the players that fit physically and mentally on a team, the ones that share a common focus and joins in with the leaders of a team for personal improvement...the ones that are NOT satisifed, but work daily to improve. Outside of the top talent it appears a bit of a crap shoot. Maybe the kids have all that, but misses home? Look at IU and the players Purdue recruited that went to IU or are going next year. On the IU bench you can find Davis that no doubt would have been a better player at Purdue. Anderson who rarely ever sees the court...Matt wanted. Franklin, he too hasn't played as much as his buddy Thompson. Will he look back and wonder what if? Phinisee, he does play but his teams have never beaten Purdue and he is half way through his career. How big of a gap would there be between Purdue and IU had TJD went to Purdue? IU almost always has higher rated players than Purdue, and in many cases players Purdue recruited, but Purdue still wins and so what are these things not rated that appear to make a difference...things that Matt thought were in IU players that Purdue recruited and apparently don't exist or don't today or at IU? I can't put all the differences due to coaching and we can't say that Purdue gets the higher rated players. Is there a "culture" that can go either way that all coaches want, but is fleeting for some, that has a direct bearing on individual growth? We all have been tempted to impulsive buying, to that shiny object...but can that be fools gold rather than a "more" substantive decision?

Changing direction a bit but what I am curious about is the height of Furst and Kaufman. I thought Furst was around 6'9-6'10" amd Kaufman was pushing 6'9"? Rivals states 6'7" for Kaufman and was hopeful he was a bit taller...which he may be?
Davis tore his Achilles and hasn’t been the same player since. He’s 6’10” and has ZERO dunks on the season.

Purdue fans are constantly saying that Painter won’t play players that cant/won’t defend. Given that, I highly doubt Anderson would have played for Painter.

Franklin is probably looking at his friend Newman more so than his friend IT and being thankful that he didn’t choose Purdue.

Purdue (or anyone other than IU) never really had a chance with TJD. As Beef said below, he was basically living on IU’s campus before he committed. It’s hard to argue he would have had a better freshman year at Purdue than he did this year at IU.

Culture is extremely important, and I believe it’s one of the reasons Purdue has been better than IU the last few years. Our leadership is t great right now. We are hoping that changes with Crean’s players finally leaving the team.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Purdue (or anyone other than IU) never really had a chance with TJD. As Beef said below, he was basically living on IU’s campus before he committed. It’s hard to argue he would have had a better freshman year at Purdue than he did this year at IU.

My favorite part of his recruitment was when he issued a statement that his recruitment was still wide open and he wasn’t leaning one way or the other. I’m optimistic like anyone else and that made me roll my eyes.

Reactions: HoosierSince80
Would we take Ingram before Kaufman?
Davis tore his Achilles and hasn’t been the same player since. He’s 6’10” and has ZERO dunks on the season.

Purdue fans are constantly saying that Painter won’t play players that cant/won’t defend. Given that, I highly doubt Anderson would have played for Painter.

Franklin is probably looking at his friend Newman more so than his friend IT and being thankful that he didn’t choose Purdue.

Culture is extremely important, and I believe it’s one of the reasons Purdue has been better than IU the last few years. Our leadership is t great right now. We are hoping that changes with Crean’s players finally leaving the team.
Wasn't Langford an Archie recruit? I thought he was a distraction? I guess I'm confused by getting rid of CTC guys and then everything is fixed. It starts from the top and he shouldn't have to play the players that don't give 2 cents. CMP made that mistake with RJ and I truly don't believe that will ever happen again under his watch. Also, Franklin hasn't done much since he's set foot on IU. I don't know how thankful he is until Newman dresses for a game. You're making it sound like IU is trending past Purdue and I beg to differ.

Reactions: Purdue85

Wasn't Langford an Archie recruit? I thought he was a distraction? I guess I'm confused by getting rid of CTC guys and then everything is fixed. It starts from the top and he shouldn't have to play the players that don't give 2 cents. CMP made that mistake with RJ and I truly don't believe that will ever happen again under his watch. Also, Franklin hasn't done much since he's set foot on IU. I don't know how thankful he is until Newman dresses for a game. You're making it sound like IU is trending past Purdue and I beg to differ.

Langford was, not sure where he was a "distraction" other than unfounded rumors started by a radio personality whose MO has been to throw shade at Romeo any chance he can get. Issue with Crean-era players is that their upperclassmen. The leadership isn't there and that is what has hurt Indiana the most. True Archie recruits are only sophomores. I think that's why Indiana fans are willing to give Archie some benefit of the doubt until his own recruits become upperclassmen.

Not necessarily sure he was saying IU was trending past Purdue, but IU is returning 90% of their core next year. I expect both IU and Purdue to be better next year.

Are you asking me if you think you would take Ingram before Kaufman? I think that would be a no brainer to take Ingram given the choice.

As for Langford, I would disagree that he was a distraction. I believe our chemistry issues have been and remain some Crean leftovers. I also believe they will all be gone after the season with the exception of Durham. Durham hasn’t been any issue from a character standpoint.

Franklin has gotten to play this year and will be going to the tournament. I believe he would take that over sitting out the year and missing the tournament. I can’t say for sure either way though.

My hope is that both IU and Purdue start to trend towards the top of the conference once more. I don’t think either fan base has particularly enjoyed this season.

Last edited:

call it what it is, wishful thinking. You can’t tell shit by looking at him. Such a dumb post

Reactions: Level 42
The issue is that Tre will be a senior when they are freshman, so it’s tough to sell them playing at the 4 and 5 together. Painter will need to try to sell Kaufman on being 3 alongside Furst and Tre at the 4 and 5.
Trey has never been more than a 20 min per game player... I think it's an easy sell that Furst will be spending time at the 5. CMP has also done very well at distributing plenty of playing time for all bigs.

Reactions: tjreese
Trey has never been more than a 20 min per game player... I think it's an easy sell that Furst will be spending time at the 5. CMP has also done very well at distributing plenty of playing time for all bigs.
It's going to be tough to sell either Kaufman or Furst on not starting. That's why I believe Painter will need to try to sell Kaufman on being able to play the 3.

It's going to be tough to sell either Kaufman or Furst on not starting. That's why I believe Painter will need to try to sell Kaufman on being able to play the 3.
You don't have to sell either on not starting... for all we know Tre could be in the NBA by then.

so you catch him before the games? ;)
Unfortunately I don't live close enough to go to any games. I am sure he and everyone else practices free throws but he is sub 50% this year from the line and as a big who gets fouled you have to be better. I am not dogging on the kid because he has had a good season and is a valuable piece but the only way to increase your value is to be consistent from the line.

I think that would be an incorrect assumption. In fact, I think that's one of the reasons he has difficulty landing some of those "elite recruits" people here moan and groan about.
That could be. I'm just saying it's going to be a tough sell to Kaufman if you aren't selling him as a starter. The only way to do that would be at 3 with Furst and Tre at the 4 and 5.

Unfortunately I don't live close enough to go to any games. I am sure he and everyone else practices free throws but he is sub 50% this year from the line and as a big who gets fouled you have to be better. I am not dogging on the kid because he has had a good season and is a valuable piece but the only way to increase your value is to be consistent from the line.
thought you saw him moments before going in the locker before the games...maybe 40 minutes before. Typically he will stand close to half court, close to the scorers table and shoot the ball up high where it will take a bounce off the floor and towards the goal. He is pretty close and so he has practiced it some. In his defense, he has worked on dives and finding Brandon or a manager towards the blocks with his defensive back pads to be pushed on.

In my estimation and obviously I'm not at enough angles to see all that you would need, it appears to "me" that many of his misses on FTs are when his arm (shoulder to elbow) is shoulder high and parallel to teh floor and his shot uses the elbow as some sort of hinge of which his forearm pivots to thrust the ball towards the goal. Compared to that, it appears to me that when he makes them, I see the arm raise past parallel to teh floor or above the shoulders 4-6 inches. However, if he does that we can still see his hand turn a bit inward rather than straight towards the basket sometimes as well.

That could be. I'm just saying it's going to be a tough sell to Kaufman if you aren't selling him as a starter. The only way to do that would be at 3 with Furst and Tre at the 4 and 5.

Got it. I think it's been clear in the past, Painter doesn't sell PT to any recruit. (What's more, I think it's unethical for any coach to do that.)

To your last sentence, I do think he talks through how said player can earn PT, as well as where/how he (Painter) sees they would fit.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Honest question to all the misplaced IU fans living on here. What happens if chemistry, lack of leadership, and lack of player development continues "after all Crean's recruits" are gone? You're all assuming things will magically look and feel different. What if it still looks the same?

Honest question to all the misplaced IU fans living on here. What happens if chemistry, lack of leadership, and lack of player development continues "after all Crean's recruits" are gone? You're all assuming things will magically look and feel different. What if it still looks the same?
Then we probably have another mediocre season, Archie gets fired, and we start again... it’s really pretty simple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT