ADVERTISEMENT

Trey is making his decision on October 30th

I've enjoyed most of your posts, and agree with a lot of what you've said, but I have to point out something here: We won't see in time. Unfortunately, life doesn't give us those opportunities to see about our decisions. He could have a great career for Purdue, but would've had an even better one at IU. Or, he could get hurt for us, and wouldn't have at IU. Or could have potentially put up better numbers at IU, personally, but experienced much less team success than he would at Purdue. Or, and my final point, he may just be a good player, and would have had a great career at either school, and he just happened to pick Purdue, for a variety of reasons. But, in any case, in reality, we won't be able to "see in time if Kaufman made the right choice."

I wanted to add to this today, the day after the draft.
Watching the draft last night, I noticed multiple Purdue targets that we missed out on. Now, per this conversation that TrojanFan004 and I were having, we can't really find out later. Would these guys have developed here like they did there, and likely have gotten drafted out of Purdue? Yes, I think that is very likely. So, again, per the convo, we can't really look back and see if they made the right choice there. I'm talking about guys like Zeke Nnaji and Xavier Tillman, that we were in on, and perhaps even considered a favorite for at one point or another.
Having said that, however, a guy like Desmond Bane made me think in another direction. We maybe can't see after the fact if a player made the right choice or not, but I think we can tell if the kid was a good player or not. In addition to the short(er) arms, Bane also was really questioned because he played at such a small school, and the quality of his opponents was so weak, that the coaches just really weren't sure if he could play at a high level or not. (I had a somewhat personal interest in seeing what happened to him for a variety of reasons. 1. I was the Geometry teacher at the time of the Blue River Valley kid that he dunked on in the play that got him on ESPN and skyrocketed his awareness. I was in the thick of all of the opposite side of that noteriety. 2. My son plays and played with, on his Gym Rats team, a kid who's older brother played with Desmond on his AAU team. And they were good friends and Desmond was at that kid's house all the time, so, at the very least, the topic of Desmond often came up when we were standing around talking a various tournaments through the years. ) So, anyway, the coaches weren't sure if he could play at that high of a level - and, I think he proved that he could. So, that's something that time can tell...

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I acknowledge Peegs/Rabby had poor information on this recruitment. I have not been claiming IU was a serious contender. I was just defending the character assassinations by some on here. Congrats on the pickup.
The IU prognosticators would have to have "character" for us to assassinate it.

• Haha
Reactions: Inspector100
The IU prognosticators would have to have "character" for us to assassinate it.
I laughed at that post too. Why the strong need to defend a local sports beat writer who guesses for a living without any accountability...on a rivals message board? Is there any character there to begin with? If I guessed once in my job I'd be fired on the spot and could potentially be prosecuted on top of that.

I laughed at that post too. Why the strong need to defend a local sports beat writer who guesses for a living without any accountability...on a rivals message board? Is there any character there to begin with? If I guessed once in my job I'd be fired on the spot and could potentially be prosecuted on top of that.
Their job is to make educated guesses based on the information they have. Do you also take issue with Meteorologists? What about Fantasy Football experts? Just because your job doesn’t involve a certain amount of guesswork, doesn’t mean other professions don’t.

Still can’t believe we landed Kaufman haha. If you take out the obvious reasons why we landed Biggie, I think this may be Painter’s biggest recruiting win he’s had at Purdue.
Want to see how we can carry this momentum in the 2022 class because there is a lot of elite talent we are involved with.

That's actually what I got on here tonight to see...anything on the Loyer chances. What are people saying about the pick? What's the crystal ball see?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT