ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight

Jan 29, 2023
I would love to see us make our damn free throws, shoot about 40 percent from 3 and have under 10 turnovers. Not sure if CH is playing but that freshman guard they have can shoot - watched him in the Michigan game - and we need to lock him up. I really think Newman is the key for us - get him some open looks and some confidence and we have another big time scoring threat.

Hoping Loyer, Smith and Gillis break out and hit threes. Newman? Ok but he is 8-25 in last 6, 32% ok, but not special.

Definitely hoping they all do too. BTW, in the last 6, Loyer is 6-28, 21%. Also, over the last 12 games, he's made more than 1 three pointer, just 3 times. Not dumping on him, whole team hopefully can pick it up

If Purdue can shoot 35% from 3 and have Edey do what Edey does, gonna be real hard to beat

I would love to see us make our damn free throws, shoot about 40 percent from 3 and have under 10 turnovers. Not sure if CH is playing but that freshman guard they have can shoot - watched him in the Michigan game - and we need to lock him up. I really think Newman is the key for us - get him some open looks and some confidence and we have another big time scoring threat.
Yes worry about Essigian trying to prove he is the best frosh guard on the floor. Hope we take the challenge and lock him up.

Definitely hoping they all do too. BTW, in the last 6, Loyer is 6-28, 21%. Also, over the last 12 games, he's made more than 1 three pointer, just 3 times. Not dumping on him, whole team hopefully can pick it up

If Purdue can shoot 35% from 3 and have Edey do what Edey does, gonna be real hard to beat
Here's a few more over the last 6 games since the Boilers are 2-4 during this bump in the season

Morton 5-16 for 31%
Gillis 6-18 for 33% (7 games ago was his 9-12 monster game)
Smith 6-15 for 40%
Furst 2-7 for 29%
Jenkins 4-16 for 25%

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Tonight.... I would love to see Antoine Davis break the All-Time Scoring record.

I would love to see us make our damn free throws, shoot about 40 percent from 3 and have under 10 turnovers. Not sure if CH is playing but that freshman guard they have can shoot - watched him in the Michigan game - and we need to lock him up. I really think Newman is the key for us - get him some open looks and some confidence and we have another big time scoring threat
I'm torn. I grew up with Mount and Pistol Pete ...
Here's a few more over the last 6 games since the Boilers are 2-4 during this bump in the season

Morton 5-16 for 31%
Gillis 6-18 for 33% (7 games ago was his 9-12 monster game)
Smith 6-15 for 40%
Furst 2-7 for 29%
Jenkins 4-16 for 25%
Appreciate the stats but I feel like
Hoping Loyer, Smith and Gillis break out and hit threes. Newman? Ok but he is 8-25 in last 6, 32% ok, but not special.
Yeah I get it but I feel like Newman - like pretty much like all shooters - really needs his first shot to go down - if it does, and he doesn’t force his shot, he can be a huge asset

Reactions: Schnelk
I'm torn. I grew up with Mount and Pistol Pete ...
I was showing my boys here in NY some stuff about Mount and how great he was - I never saw him - I graduated from Purdue in 93. Saying how there was no 3 and how many points he would have scored, etc. My oldest son Hudson was reading all about him. He says to me after all his research that Mount had the worst haircut ever!

I was showing my boys here in NY some stuff about Mount and how great he was - I never saw him - I graduated from Purdue in 93. Saying how there was no 3 and how many points he would have scored, etc. My oldest son Hudson was reading all about him. He says to me after all his research that Mount had the worst haircut ever!
Pete would be shooting like 20 3s a game in this era.

Yes, that was very unique. I played against him twice in HS. We had a good team and he outscored our whole team. We played at the Lebanon park often during the summers. and I went fishing with him several times. My dad and I hunted with him and his pharmacist mentor several times. He was (and still is) a fascinating person.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
How many would Pete (or even Mount) have had playing 5 yrs., with a shot clock and a 3 pt. line?
Someone watched all of Mount's games (remember, he couldn't play as a freshman too) and calculated how many 3's he would have made ... something like 90% of his shots LOL ... @SaratogaBoiler1 - did you find that number?

Tonight.... I would love to see Antoine Davis break the All-Time Scoring record.
not me. Not in 5 years when Pistol Pete had 3 years and no 3pt line.
Not even close to the same thing.

Edit: No disrespect intended for Mr. Davis and his accomplishments. I guess I think that an asterisk would be appropriate.
The whole Covid year thing is just total bs for all time records.
JMO

Last edited:
How many would Pete (or even Mount) have had playing 5 yrs., with a shot clock and a 3 pt.
Yes, that was very unique. I played against him twice in HS. We had a good team and he outscored our whole team. We played at the Lebanon park often during the summers. and I went fishing with him several times. My dad and I hunted with him and his pharmacist mentor several times. He was (and still is) a fascinating person.
Damn that’s awesome

Pistol Pete had the green light from his dad/coach, Press. Watching him and Mount play then was amazing. Maravich, Mount, Murphy all averaged 33+ ppg. in '70.

God, I'm old ...
I don't even think Pistol's greatest skill was scoring. His greatest skill was his ball handling and passing that probably will never have an equal...especially now with all the one on one play...

Reactions: SKYDOG
I don't even think Pistol's greatest skill was scoring. His greatest skill was his ball handling and passing that probably will never have an equal...especially now with all the one on one play...
Nope... Never could have an equal... Other than I don't know... John Stockton... Steve Nash... Chris Paul... Nope.. no one ever.

Nope... Never could have an equal... Other than I don't know... John Stockton... Steve Nash... Chris Paul... Nope.. no one ever.
Not even close. You were more correct when you went on about TJD being player of the year

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Pistol Pete had the green light from his dad/coach, Press. Watching him and Mount play then was amazing. Maravich, Mount, Murphy all averaged 33+ ppg. in '70.

God, I'm old ...
Enjoy… his average if a 3 ball was in place.

Reactions: pu1985
Not even close. You were more correct when you went on about TJD being player of the year
Say you don't know what you're talking about without saying you don't know what you're talking about. In case you didn't know, Pete is 160th all time in assists in his NBA career. Only 12,000 behind Stockton, 9000 behind Jason Kidd, 8000 behind Chris Paul and 7000 behind LeBron James. Maravich had some flashy passes, but everyone does. He was known for his scoring. Definitely not his passing. There are centers like Nikola Jokic that are way better passers.

Pete died on the court, playing a pick up game.
He played 1 year with the 3 pt shot in the nba ------------------------------------67%...

nuff said?
The video I posted where Dale Brown went out and charted his shots versus the 3 ball had him averaging 57 PPG. That said his shooting percentage wasn't the best. I had about 4 tapes of Pistol with his ball handling just prior to his death and you can tell him breathing heavy. In those he talks about fanning the ball and as a youngster a friend bet him he couldn't fan or spin the ball on a finger for an hour. He started fanning the ball and naturally that finger got sore after teh friction for a while and so he just switched fingers keeping it going and using all his fingers to win the bet

The video I posted where Dale Brown went out and charted his shots versus the 3 ball had him averaging 57 PPG. That said his shooting percentage wasn't the best. I had about 4 tapes of Pistol with his ball handling just prior to his death and you can tell him breathing heavy. In those he talks about fanning the ball and as a youngster a friend bet him he couldn't fan or spin the ball on a finger for an hour. He started fanning the ball and naturally that finger got sore after teh friction for a while and so he just switched fingers keeping it going and using all his fingers to win the bet
I remember the sore fingers well from spinning the ball. When I was really playing a lot in my 20's (like every night) I'd get splits in my finger tips from the ball impacts from catching passes and such. Sometimes have 2 or 3 fingers on each hand with bandaids so it didn't hurt so much. Ah the good old days at the Y.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT