ADVERTISEMENT

To all my fellow Purdue fans, with love

charlespig

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
The vision I have for a Purdue community is that we can celebrate the wins together, and have others to lean on in tough times. Unfortunately, tough times tear us apart more than draw us together, as we may have a return of Sainter vs Ainter civil war.

I wonder what I should do, and the first thing that comes to mind is "Be the change you want to see."

So what is the change I want to see? I want to see Purdue fans in unity, supporting the team and each other in good times and bad. At the root of it, we define ourselves as Purdue fans, not Sainters or Ainters. So to everyone who feels angry, pissed, embarrassed, upset ... I acknowledge your pain. I feel your pain. The "x number of years" is indeed long and excruciating. I wish I can have a way to lessen your pain. I don't know how. What I can offer is that if we ever meet, I'll buy you the first drink. Whether it is you coming to NYC to visit and I am around, or we meet at a Purdue game. I know it probably means little to you, but it's a sincere attempt to extend an olive branch, and show that we are in it together.

Personally, I see this as a challenge to personal growth. In life, we are often dealt with a hand we don't like. How we handle them is a lifelong lesson. I've learned to be hopeful, to see that suffering - no matter how terrible it seems at the time, is not permanent. This too shall pass.

I've learned to see the bright side more. I truly believe that to win the NCAA-T game it just takes enough tries. Jay Wright and Tony Bennett used to be known as coaches who couldn't win in March, as their teams always disappoint. In the PASE database, they were ranked among the bottom between 2000 and 2015, along with Kelvin Sampson and Dana Altman. But since 2016, these coaches all have F4s, and 3 combined titles.

I've learned to use my time more wisely. For a few months, Purdue basketball is my focus. I'll dig deep into stats and numbers, as well as rewatching games. I listen to every post-game pressers, and I follow the recruiting news. The offseason is a time for me to recharge, do my taxes, read more books, and spend more time with my wife.

I've learned to up my EQ. Life is inherently unfair, and we don't always get what we want in life. We need to learn how to deal with these disappointment, and still able to function. For example, I've learned that when we focus less on ourselves and more on others, it lessens the pain.

I've learned about loving unconditionally. I love Purdue basketball, and I love them unconditionally, not only if it goes to a Final Four. Just like my kids. I don't love them only if they go to Harvard or become CEO or billionaires. I love them regardless, even if they bring me a lot of heartbreaks and worries.

I've learned to be proactive, and do things that help, and stop doing unproductive things. It's the Serenity Prayer, the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things that I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference. As long as we keep winning the way we are, I've accepted that Painter will be at Purdue for however long he wants to coach, so that frees me a lot of frustration.

In addition, I choose to do things that actually help myself. For example, when I go to the gym and exercise, I'll imagine myself being a part of the team. So before big games, I'll usually take it up a notch. So if I usually run 10 suicides, now I run 12. It's as if my extra effort will be channeled to help the team.

That's my experience, and that's how I still feel excited about our future despite a hole inside me now that feels empty (I've stopped watching the games as soon as Purdue lost). I know everyone is sad, angry, upset, disappointed, frustrated, despondent, and feeling hopeless. I hope sharing the way I cope can help, and please feel free to share yours too if you find yours to be helpful.

At the end of the day, being a fan should bring more us joy than pain, otherwise, why be a fan in the first place? There's always a choice. We are not victims. We are survivors that will prevail in the end, in which the setbacks we are facing will be the defining moments of our fandom and fortitude, which in hindsight I would not trade. We have a choice, and I choose to be proactive and supportive.

Boiler Up!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News