ADVERTISEMENT

Thought we got outplayed yesterday

I felt like Purdue looked like it kindof ran out of gas in the last 10 minutes, but I’m not too worried about that. Marquette played well enough to win, for sure, but at the same time, they had no answer for Edey.

Purdue did shoot well from 3, but poorly from the line. Regardless of whether they were outplayed or not, this was a great tournament for Purdue to build on. The key is that they can’t peak in November, but need to keep getting better.
"Purdue looked like it kindof ran out of gas in the last 10 minutes"
Remember the rock fight vs TN the day before?

"Purdue looked like it kindof ran out of gas in the last 10 minutes"
Remember the rock fight vs TN the day before?
Calling that a rock fight is an insult to rocks. That was like the end of Bloodsport where they dipped their gloves into glass. Except it was kerosene and barbed wire dipped gloves being officiated by Mick Foley.

dac347d5c833aeab613b25779fdb21f0.jpg

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
We out played them, but making some mental errors when it matters.
That rough road…Zaga, TN, and Marquette in 3 days about did us in. The tournament won’t be that demanding. Either Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday. And I doubt we will face a tougher gauntlet. Hopefully we get better too.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That rough road…Zaga, TN, and Marquette in 3 days about did us in. The tournament won’t be that demanding. Either Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday. And I doubt we will face a tougher gauntlet. Hopefully we get better too.

You mean Saturday-Monday

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Going against a straight man to man press, passing the ball up the court is usually not a safe option. If they come to double the ball handler, then yes, you can pass it then, but not otherwise.
Every situation is different. I did not see a straight man-to-man press from the opp. I saw that once we bound the ball, we gave the ball to Smith and let him dribble it up the court; I did not see the opp within ten feet of our other ball handlers. We do this to allow Edey to be in position, and that is a very smart strategy towards the end of the game if it is close. My suggestion is to rush the ball a little and get the D more tired from chasing us. We have the horses to dribble better and drive more. We are more athletic, and the added benefits are more layups and probably more open threes. And we can show this different look when we play lesser teams. However, I think this is more of a look that is used in March. How much we use it in March depends on how successful it turns out to be during the year.

I think the point here is that Purdue didn’t play its best basketball. I agree with that. Much to improve. However shooting less than 30% from 3 and still winning is far different from last years team. This team hasn’t hit its stride yet. Which, is a good thing.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
That rough road…Zaga, TN, and Marquette in 3 days about did us . And I doubt we will face a tougher gauntlet. Hopefully we
The E8+ will be every bit as tough if not tougher. Count on that.

Yes we will have to get better. Frosh are key. You are correct there is a rest day

Agree with this. Gonzaga looks like a 3 or 4 seed at this point. UT and Marquette could be 1 or 2 seeds. I don't think Purdue played close to it's best basketball in Maui.
The first half vs Marquette where things were clicking and 3s were actually falling looked like some pretty good ball. But the 2nd half, not so much haha. I hope we can remember last year, continue to improve and be hungry and be ready for March. All tourney games are tough, but If we can get to the second weekend, we will need to play some of our best ball and also have a bit of luck on our side!

The first half vs Marquette where things were clicking and 3s were actually falling looked like some pretty good ball. But the 2nd half, not so much haha. I hope we can remember last year, continue to improve and be hungry and be ready for March. All tourney games are tough, but If we can get to the second weekend, we will need to play some of our best ball and also have a bit of luck on our side!
Agree, I should have stated that this team has not consistently played their best basketball, they’ve certainly looked very good for stretches. I actually think it’s a good thing that they’re not yet playing their best ball.

Agree, I should have stated that this team has not consistently played their best basketball, they’ve certainly looked very good for stretches. I actually think it’s a good thing that they’re not yet playing their best ball.
I gotcha! And totally agree. Let’s keep it going and hope we can really start to peak end of Jan!

I think the point here is that Purdue didn’t play its best basketball. I agree with that. Much to improve. However shooting less than 30% from 3 and still winning is far different from last years team. This team hasn’t hit its stride yet. Which, is a good thing.
Some are saying that Marquette could win it all. And some were predicting a Purdue loss because of Marquette's quickness and athleticism. I'm not sure I would expect Purdue to play mistake-free, peak level basketball through the entire game against a top team.

With the young players being brought along, Purdue will get stronger. I love this starting point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT