ADVERTISEMENT

Thought we got outplayed yesterday

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
I did miss the last 7 minutes of the first half to get home from work. But I thought Marquette outplayed us. As someone else said in another thread, Marquette kept getting in the passing lanes for deflections and steals. They had 36 deflections as of one of the final timeouts. You had the 75-footer, which, all other things being equal, even though they never are, was the point difference in the game. The offense really struggled the last 10 minutes, and that included a couple of prayer shots by Braden and Fletch that went in. Plus the tip-in winner that I thought was going to be a shot clock violation. Marquette was able to get in the lane with ease for easy looks. We couldn't contain their PnR very well.

We won a great tournament with a Final Four type field. Next Friday will be my first time in person watching my favorite team as #1. I just think there's a lot of work to continue to be done as far as floor balance and offensive movement.

Happy Thanksgiving, my Boiler Friends!

I did miss the last 7 minutes of the first half to get home from work. But I thought Marquette outplayed us. As someone else said in another thread, Marquette kept getting in the passing lanes for deflections and steals. They had 36 deflections as of one of the final timeouts. You had the 75-footer, which, all other things being equal, even though they never are, was the point difference in the game. The offense really struggled the last 10 minutes, and that included a couple of prayer shots by Braden and Fletch that went in. Plus the tip-in winner that I thought was going to be a shot clock violation. Marquette was able to get in the lane with ease for easy looks. We couldn't contain their PnR very well.

We won a great tournament with a Final Four type field. Next Friday will be my first time in person watching my favorite team as #1. I just think there's a lot of work to continue to be done as far as floor balance and offensive movement.

That’s interesting. They outplayed us but……..WE WON!

I felt like Purdue looked like it kindof ran out of gas in the last 10 minutes, but I’m not too worried about that. Marquette played well enough to win, for sure, but at the same time, they had no answer for Edey.

Purdue did shoot well from 3, but poorly from the line. Regardless of whether they were outplayed or not, this was a great tournament for Purdue to build on. The key is that they can’t peak in November, but need to keep getting better.

Dont you think the story will be told by how ready Colvin and Heide are able to get as we play meh non conference and big ten teams? I mean they obviously aren’t going to play huge roles against Arizona or alabama. But major opportunities exist in a lot of other games

Yes in H2 they outplayed Purdue.
Trouble is that followed H1 where we dominated.

Dont you think the story will be told by how ready Colvin and Heide are able to get as we play meh non conference and big ten teams? I mean they obviously aren’t going to play huge roles against Arizona or alabama. But major opportunities exist in a lot of other games

C & H....one of the Keys to March

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
I wouldn't go so far as to say Purdue was outplayed. Marquette is damn good. I think they wore Purdue down a bit near the end but Purdue did just enough to hold on. After running a murderer's row of teams in three days, I think we should just be happy the boys were able to win all three times, even if the team still hasn't played a perfect game yet.

You could maybe say that about the last 10min of the game when Marquette made their run but I wouldn’t say Purdue got out played…they obviously won. I’d say it was even before saying they got outplayed. Purdue played a heck of a 1st half to put them in position to win!
If they can clean up the dumb turnovers and hit “free” throws Purdue wins by 10+.

Last edited:
They certainly found some extra energy and our lineup got stale/cold outside of Zach. I do think we need to have better movement once the double comes on Zach so he can have a quick exit pass. That was what hurt us. Not complaining about the officials but they certainly swallowed their whistles a few times toward the closing minutes in some obvious fouls. I recall Painter telling Braden to chill.

Reactions: tjreese
I think Smith is great at bringing the ball up-court, but I would like to see more passing the ball up-court so that we play at a faster pace and get into our offense sooner.

Going at a faster pace will allow us to go deeper into our rotation, and with the Big Ten not being as strong, I think that will be a good thing. It will also give Heide and Colvin more time.

Thank God for Edey I knew they had no answer for him defending the basket down low and getting it down low but every team has to face that problem we’re number one now

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I wouldn't go so far as to say Purdue was outplayed. Marquette is damn good. I think they wore Purdue down a bit near the end but Purdue did just enough to hold on. After running a murderer's row of teams in three days, I think we should just be happy the boys were able to win all three times, even if the team still hasn't played a perfect game yet.

In any case 42-33 in second half M. Call it what you want M better in H2.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
They certainly found some extra energy and our lineup got stale/cold outside of Zach. I do think we need to have better movement once the double comes on Zach so he can have a quick exit pass. That was what hurt us. Not complaining about the officials but they certainly swallowed their whistles a few times toward the closing minutes in some obvious fouls. I recall Painter telling Braden to chill.
And sometimes he needs to be quicker with that pass out of the paint. There's been plenty of times where he'll allow that defender to drag down and he doesn't pass it out quick enough. This is where he seems to put himself in trouble with TO's.

May be the most ludicrous post I’ve ever read. Htf can you opine if you missed the stretch where Purdue pulled away.

Reactions: Purdue0023

If you truly feel "there's a lot of work to be done" you're on some serious drugs. Beating the number #4 team which just beat the former #1 team. I would agree if you would've said "we have work to do" but not a lot.

We do have some small issues but we played great tough teams and won a nice tournament. Let's build off of this.

Shooting that well behind the arc yesterday…Purdue is practically unbeatable with Zach in the middle. Only negative was free throw shooting…especially at the end of a game. Close it out with freebies…
Still gotta try and get down to single digit turnovers too, but Marquette's on a mission to get deflections so against any other team, we may have gotten to single digits.

Something to remember is that Marquette was coming off of a dominant win where Self threw in the towel with about 3 minutes left. Purdue went through a 40 minute rock fight with Tennessee.

Marquette was a little fresher at the end, especially considering that one of their best players was on the bench for half of the first half.

Yes, Marquette may have performed better in the first half if Ighodora wasn't on the bench, but then who is to say that his shots at the end wouldn't have been off because of tired legs.

At the end of the day, Purdue outplayed Marquette for about 25 minutes, which is all that mattered.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
And sometimes he needs to be quicker with that pass out of the paint. There's been plenty of times where he'll allow that defender to drag down and he doesn't pass it out quick enough. This is where he seems to put himself in trouble with TO's.
Yep. Agree. I think he is still learning to trust his teammates. I’m sure Painter/staff have a progression on kick outs based on the sets. Just no more passes to greasy fingers Gillis who seemingly can’t handle a ball that well any more

Reactions: Poprudy
Yep. Agree. I think he is still learning to trust his teammates. I’m sure Painter/staff have a progression on kick outs based on the sets. Just no more passes to greasy fingers Gillis who seemingly can’t handle a ball that well any more
Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with Gillis. He's developed soft hands. I can remember using a hand strengthener for basketball and football. He may need to invest in one.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If you truly feel "there's a lot of work to be done" you're on some serious drugs. Beating the number #4 team which just beat the former #1 team. I would agree if you would've said "we have work to do" but not a lot.

We do have some small issues but we played great tough teams and won a nice tournament. Let's build off of this.
So sorry to use an extra word or two. Jeez.

The end of that game frustrated me like the last 10 games of last season did. We were lucky to come out on top. Feel free to disagree.

May be the most ludicrous post I’ve ever read. Htf can you opine if you missed the stretch where Purdue pulled away.
Because I watched 33 minutes where we struggled quite a bit on offense, especially the last 10 where we turned it over a ton and made some fluky shots. That's far from a ludicrous statement.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Purdue dominated the first half, Marquette without a doubt won the second half, happens often when you have two good teams playing each other. Marquette is quick, thank goodness Purdue has Jones, he’s a solid ball handler (not perfect), last year Purdue loses this game.

Because I watched 33 minutes where we struggled quite a bit on offense, especially the last 10 where we turned it over a ton and made some fluky shots. That's far from a ludicrous statement.
I don’t mean it as an insult but it’s just ignorant. You're 100% entitled to your view but watch the full game so you can at least have an informed opinion.

I don’t mean it as an insult but it’s just ignorant. You're 100% entitled to your view but watch the full game so you can at least have an informed opinion.
Now you and I have never had a problem, but you can't call someone's opinion ignorant and then say it's not an insult. That's like saying, "no offense, but....". I fully disclaimed that I missed the last 7 minutes of the first half. What I watched, especially the last 10 minutes, was not good and we were outplayed. I stand by that. Yes we won and I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong. Peace out.

Purdue dominated the first half, Marquette without a doubt won the second half, happens often when you have two good teams playing each other. Marquette is quick, thank goodness Purdue has Jones, he’s a solid ball handler (not perfect), last year Purdue loses this game.
The keys to the first half were Purdue’s tremendous three point shooting and Marquette’s excellent big man being on the bench with two fouls. Those factors considered, I was impressed by Marquette in the first half. They are a very good team. It would not surprise me at all if they beat out Connecticut for the Big East title.

Popular sentiment seems to be that we got our ass beat in all three games. Thankfully, we scored more points, than each of those teams, while they were in process of beating our ass. Coach must have practiced up on his Jedi mind control during the off season.

Now you and I have never had a problem, but you can't call someone's opinion ignorant and then say it's not an insult. That's like saying, "no offense, but....". I fully disclaimed that I missed the last 7 minutes of the first half. What I watched, especially the last 10 minutes, was not good and we were outplayed. I stand by that. Yes we won and I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong. Peace out.
Had I called your post idiotic or nonsense I would agree. It wasn’t, but it was by definition ignorant, I.e. lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.

Again, you’re obviously free to post whatever you like but I’d generally expect better from you. Putting a disclaimer on it doesn’t change that fact. I am a jerk at times and I’m probably being one here, but I’m also just stating a fact.

The keys to the first half were Purdue’s tremendous three point shooting and Marquette’s excellent big man being on the bench with two fouls. Those factors considered, I was impressed by Marquette in the first half. They are a very good team. It would not surprise me at all if they beat out Connecticut for the Big East title.
Agree that they’re very good and I believe they beat UConn for the Big East title last year and are now better while UConn is likely worse.

I understand why you would point to Ighodaro’s foul trouble as a factor, but would argue that had Shaka not game planned for Oso and team to foul and hold Zach on every possession Zach could have gone for 40 and 20. Was Purdue fortunate to get some of those calls? Absolutely. Was Marquette fortunate that they didn’t call twice as many? 100%.

Should Oso have either fouled out by early in the second half or had to have significantly adjusted his play? There is no doubt in my mind.

Agree that they’re very good and I believe they beat UConn for the Big East title last year and are now better while UConn is likely worse.

I understand why you would point to Ighodaro’s foul trouble as a factor, but would argue that had Shaka not game planned for Oso and team to foul and hold Zach on every possession Zach could have gone for 40 and 20. Was Purdue fortunate to get some of those calls? Absolutely. Was Marquette fortunate that they didn’t call twice as many? 100%.

Should Oso have either fouled out by early in the second half or had to have significantly adjusted his play? There is no doubt in my mind.
100%. That’s what Edey does and Purdue gets the credit for their lead. My point is that even in that first half, I was watching Marquette thinking that they were a national title contender, even as they were entering half time down by 15.

Reactions: northside100
I think Smith is great at bringing the ball up-court, but I would like to see more passing the ball up-court so that we play at a faster pace and get into our offense sooner.

Going at a faster pace will allow us to go deeper into our rotation, and with the Big Ten not being as strong, I think that will be a good thing. It will also give Heide and Colvin more time.
Going against a straight man to man press, passing the ball up the court is usually not a safe option. If they come to double the ball handler, then yes, you can pass it then, but not otherwise.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
and keep the ball HIGH! When he brings it down to make his move they were all over it. 3d guy coming back door to swipe at it as he turns.

Reactions: Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT