ADVERTISEMENT

This play calling…and this result…

Please don’t tell me I see that deer in the headlights look?

Harrell refuses to learn how to call plays at the goal line.How many times does he get stuffed by running straight into a wall. He has speed to the outside .Why does'nt he use it ?
I have also wondered about that.

Harrell refuses to learn how to call plays at the goal line.How many times does he get stuffed by running straight into a wall. He has speed to the outside .Why does'nt he use it ?
I don’t think we have much speed to the outside. Mock, Tracey and Downing are all N/S runners. And if you try to use Burks, not sure that works either.

Is squarely why we are no longer a good football team.

They know what we are going to do. They’ve watched the tape and know we can’t execute.

3 plays to get 1 yard.

Going to be a long ass year.
This is the problem with not hiring a proven offensive mind as HC. You’re totally dependent on making a good OC hire.

And if you do, then they are gone after a year or 2. Like DeBoer at IU.

This is Walter's defense. What you saw at Illinois was Walters playing pretty shitty offenses and having 3 NFL players in the secondary...
Obviously, but the post I was replying to was blaming the coordinators.

if Kane isn’t making the necessary adjustments, then Walters needs to step in.

Reactions: purduepat1969
This is the problem with not hiring a proven offensive mind as HC. You’re totally dependent on making a good OC hire.

And if you do, then they are gone after a year or 2. Like DeBoer at IU.

This is why I found this hire so baffling. Especially since Walters had no head coaching experience and only briefly showed success as a DC, probably because he had a few NFL players on his roster.

Reactions: pboiler18
I am not down on the coaches as much as some of you.

What I think is on the coaches
1. Don’t stop trying to run up the middle but stop trying to do it in all key short yardage situations. This team has not developed any kind of running mentality yet.

2. Kick field goals. I know what the statistics say, but until Purdue shows it can convert 80%+ of 3rd/4th and short, take the points.

3. Imo the worst coaches call of them all was not spying Syracuse’s qb from play 1. Anyone who watched last season’s game knew how they could beat us and they did. We did much better (still not great) in the second half with a spy on him.

Having said all that we should be 2-1 right now. The players fumbled 7 times (3 lost) and threw an int. Without those we almost certainly win the Syracuse game even with the less than perfect coaching decisions.

We have a new staff and system on both sides of the ball. There are going to be growing pains but so far I think we can get better. I am still remaining patient with this staff.

I am not down on the coaches as much as some of you.

What I think is on the coaches
1. Don’t stop trying to run up the middle but stop trying to do it in all key short yardage situations. This team has not developed any kind of running mentality yet.

2. Kick field goals. I know what the statistics say, but until Purdue shows it can convert 80%+ of 3rd/4th and short, take the points.

3. Imo the worst coaches call of them all was not spying Syracuse’s qb from play 1. Anyone who watched last season’s game knew how they could beat us and they did. We did much better (still not great) in the second half with a spy on him.

Having said all that we should be 2-1 right now. The players fumbled 7 times (3 lost) and threw an int. Without those we almost certainly win the Syracuse game even with the less than perfect coaching decisions.

We have a new staff and system on both sides of the ball. There are going to be growing pains but so far I think we can get better. I am still remaining patient with this staff.
Feel like you’ll be saying the same 2 years from now.

The upside here is that we can be actively shopping for a new coach and jettison the dude at anytime and the money we owe him is slightly more than a rounding error with the big ten funds we have coming in. Give him 2 years (but start filling the black book now) but if we can’t win reliably by then, let him go when we think we have our guy.

With the portal, 4 years is no longer the wait period for somebody to right the ship

Reactions: boilermaker75
Feel like you’ll be saying the same 2 years from now.

The upside here is that we can be actively shopping for a new coach and jettison the dude at anytime and the money we owe him is slightly more than a rounding error with the big ten funds we have coming in. Give him 2 years (but start filling the black book now) but if we can’t win reliably by then, let him go when we think we have our guy.

With the portal, 4 years is no longer the wait period for somebody to right the ship
And I feel like you would say the same for any coach who doesn’t turn Purdue into Ohio St in year 1.

I hope it doesn’t take 4 years. I think we should be in bowl games at a minimum starting no later than next year. And from there we look at progress and recruiting to decide if we are moving in the right direction.

Fingers crossed we see signs of improvement all through this year and questions get erased.

And I feel like you would say the same for any coach who doesn’t turn Purdue into Ohio St in year 1.

I hope it doesn’t take 4 years. I think we should be in bowl games at a minimum starting no later than next year. And from there we look at progress and recruiting to decide if we are moving in the right direction.

Fingers crossed we see signs of improvement all through this year and questions get erased.
I had no expectations to beat OSU or Michigan this year. This team is talented though but clearly not well coached. Could easily be 3-0 but staring down the barrel of 1-3 at the end of the week.

Too much wrong to detail out in 1 thread. Of course I’d like to see them improve…but if the backslide from week 2 to 3 is any indication, this will be a long, momentum stopping year.

I had no expectations to beat OSU or Michigan this year. This team is talented though but clearly not well coached. Could easily be 3-0 but staring down the barrel of 1-3 at the end of the week.

Too much wrong to detail out in 1 thread. Of course I’d like to see them improve…but if the backslide from week 2 to 3 is any indication, this will be a long, momentum stopping year.
You speak as if you know more about coaching than the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT