ADVERTISEMENT

"There's a really good player inside there"

That was a quote from Matt Painter regarding Trevion Williams. You can hear it in the most recent video interview.

That made me smile a bit.

Given Matt Painter's hesitancy to lavish praise on his players, that's an encouraging comment about the potential of Trevion.

Do you consider that praise? I see that as Matt calling out Tre to be that player every day. That’s not a bad thing but my sense is that the light has not yet fully gone on for Tre.

I don’t think painter is at all hesitant to praise his players. To me this is not exactly a compliment and reminds of his comments about Hammons for years.

Keady used to do the same thing. But great coaches always show expectation of better play from their players. Sometimes it relates to teamwork and sometimes it relates to personal skills.

Do you consider that praise? I see that as Matt calling out Tre to be that player every day. That’s not a bad thing but my sense is that the light has not yet fully gone on for Tre.

That's interesting. It's certainly possible that I missed some nuance to his statement. And yes, he was definitely calling him out to be more consistent. But I was also hearing his tone when he said it. He didn't just say, "he could be a good for us." He said, "there's a *really* good player in there". I may be reading too much into it, but I got the impression that he was talking about All-American, Big Ten Player of the Year type of potential.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
That's interesting. It's certainly possible that I missed some nuance to his statement. And yes, he was definitely calling him out to be more consistent. But I was also hearing his tone when he said it. He didn't just say, "he could be a good for us." He said, "there's a *really* good player in there". I may be reading too much into it, but I got the impression that he was talking about All-American, Big Ten Player of the Year type of potential.

I completely agree, I think those are his expectations for Tre but my sense is Matt and Tre both know he has a lot of work to do to get there.

Reactions: reswat
I just listened to it to provide context for myself. Considering CMP just listed everything that Tre needs to improve, I think it was meant as a small compliment and encouragement.

Goodness. For my daily dose of "overthinking", all I need to do is come to this forum.

;)

tenor.gif

Reactions: mathboy and jindy

with as big a paw he has, and passing ability with a quick first step toward basket, not so difficult seeing Tre's potential..

I would call him the "Biggie II" this season.
I just can't wait for the passes in and out of the low post by Tre,
and soft shots or treys (yay!) that would take air out of our opponents.

Boiler Up!

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT