ADVERTISEMENT

The problem is once you get past Zach, Braden, Fletcher, Mason, David,...

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
...Trey, Caleb, Brandon, and Ethan, we really don't have a team.

I can't see HOW we're going to get through the tourney.

Sesame Street What GIF by Muppet Wiki

...Trey, Caleb, Brandon, and Ethan, we really don't have a team.

I can't see HOW we're going to get through the tourney.

Sesame Street What GIF by Muppet Wiki

Do you think the whole team needs to score, when we have guys that are taking turns having big games? I missed this game the other night and really like what I saw from the box score. I am not sure what to think with comments like this. Not every player can score 19 a game.

As a geek I have never understood when people keep talking about how tiring playing 30 minutes is on a player. Or how tiring playing 4 games in 10 nights can be. When I went to school, when not playing a real game, you could always find the players playing a pickup game on off nights at the co-rec. aren’t they spending the same amount of energy in their pickup games?

A recent post talked about playing 4 games in 9 days and how taxing it would be physically. But that’s exactly what the NCAA tournament is. You play 2 games on back to back weekends. That’s 4 games in 10 days. If you can’t play 4 games in 9 games now without being tired how are you going to play 4 games in the tourney? And how is Purdue any different than any other team? Doesn’t every team have to play 4 games on two week end? How are other teams preparing?

I don’t understand how resting players now or playing few minutes prepares a player for the tourney? In the tourney, a starter will have to play more minutes! Shouldn’t we be using our current games to test a player’s ability to play 30+ minutes in back to back games?

When not playing games, aren’t players spending the same amount or more energy in practice?

As a geek I have never understood when people keep talking about how tiring playing 30 minutes is on a player. Or how tiring playing 4 games in 10 nights can be. When I went to school, when not playing a real game, you could always find the players playing a pickup game on off nights at the co-rec. aren’t they spending the same amount of energy in their pickup games?

A recent post talked about playing 4 games in 9 days and how taxing it would be physically. But that’s exactly what the NCAA tournament is. You play 2 games on back to back weekends. That’s 4 games in 10 days. If you can’t play 4 games in 9 games now without being tired how are you going to play 4 games in the tourney? And how is Purdue any different than any other team? Doesn’t every team have to play 4 games on two week end? How are other teams preparing?

I don’t understand how resting players now or playing few minutes prepares a player for the tourney? In the tourney, a starter will have to play more minutes! Shouldn’t we be using our current games to test a player’s ability to play 30+ minutes in back to back games?

When not playing games, aren’t players spending the same amount or more energy in practice?
I don’t think the players expend as much energy in practice as they do in a game. The practices become less physically demanding late in the season as legs begin to wear out.
It’s probably a good idea to rest the starters when possible as this allows them to have more energy than otherwise in more meaningful games. In the tourney, players who play a lot need to not only have the stamina but they also need their muscles to recover fully to allow them to play at the peak performance when games are on the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT