ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest concern and potential fatal flaw

Okay, does that put more wear on fewer players doing it now? If not done now, can it be done in particular games going forward? Hasn't Matt traditionally put more minutes on fewer closer to the tourney? Carsen and Ryan's team was not a great team. Carsen got hot for a couple of weeks and Ryan got hot one game. A month before and Purdue maybe gets beat earlier since some games that year were not as good as the tourney production.

I don't have an answer on cutting the rotation. I would assume since many believe that the grinder of the Big was detrimental to the tourney that if able to win and not cut so many minutes that it is best for Purdue...."IF" the assumption that the grind of the big takes a toll. Every year there are teams with as much talent as this Purdue team and every year some get knocked off. Lot of time in the season to see if things start to develop a certain direction
That 2019 team wasn’t playing well for awhile before the tourney. Carsen was shooting horribly as well and there were people talking about his shot selection. All it took was a hot hand in the tourney to turn that around.

My main point here is that THIS team could get hot in the tourney as well. They have already proven to be able to beat really good teams, on a neutral floor, with a short turnaround. We may have lost a couple of head scratchers but this is still the same team that was rolling through the non-con. Hopefully as with most teams, they will continue to improve in the conference season and hopefully fill these holes we see in our two losses.

I'm saying at some point you consider sitting Edey in a game like this and matching up
Yes, let’s take the National Player of the Year out of the game. Let’s forfeit our huge rebounding advantage, our rim protection, and most of our open threes.

I’m sure Hoiberg would agree with this approach tho.

Yes, let’s take the National Player of the Year out of the game. Let’s forfeit our huge rebounding advantage, our rim protection, and most of our open threes.

I’m sure Hoiberg would agree with this approach tho.
We lost by 18 bud, I'm going to suggest to you that in that game when that player barely got to double figures that it wasn't a "huge advantage." And we out rebounded them by 4. So again, not huge that game.

We lost by 18 bud, I'm going to suggest to you that in that game when that player barely got to double figures that it wasn't a "huge advantage." And we out rebounded them by 4. So again, not huge that game.
Zach was frustrated and def. Off his game. We should have at least tried it for a bit. Hope we do next time and if we get the lead late, bring Zach back in to close it out.

And it was 16…don’t give NE that 😂

So you want to shoot worse from 3, get out-rebounded, and give up layups and dunks? Ok bud.

Look forward to you coming around again after the next loss ;) Team will go as far as Zach, Braden and Loyer can take it, none of whom were good versus Nebraska.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Look forward to you coming around again after the next loss ;) Team will go as far as Zach, Braden and Loyer can take it, none of whom were good versus Nebraska.
Yawn. I post all the time, after wins and losses with both positive comments and critiques so you can take that I'm a better fan than you nonsense and shove it

Zach was frustrated and def. Off his game. We should have at least tried it for a bit. Hope we do next time and if we get the lead late, bring Zach back in to close it out.

And it was 16…don’t give NE that 😂
The point is there are going to be games where dump it to Zach isn't going to work and it would be fortuitous to have another way to compete in those games.

The point is there are going to be games where dump it to Zach isn't going to work and it would be fortuitous to have another way to compete in those games.
I suspect you're a great fan who cares a lot about Purdue, as evidenced by the fact that you post 10x as much after a loss as at any other time because you're disappointed and your feelings are hurt.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I suspect you're a great fan who cares a lot about Purdue, as evidenced by the fact that you post 10x as much after a loss as at any other time because you're disappointed and your feelings are hurt.
Yawn. Pump yourself up with someone else bud, I'm not interested.

Is the backcourt play. You don’t overreact to one game especially on the road against a pretty good and insanely hot team. But in today’s game that is dominated by quick, athletic perimeter scorers and shooters who can create off the dribble and finish at the rim, is the Purdue backcourt good enough? As good as Edey is, he also has some limitations. Gonna need the 1-2-3 positions elevate their games if Purdue wants to make a deep run.
When we were playing our best basketball we were playing off post feeds where Z and the guards were on the same page. There’s a lot of standing around after the post feed now. When this team moves off of the post feed there are weapons everywhere. The defense has been very poor lately. The hallmark of recent Purdue teams has been to allow penetration at will by the opposing team. This if this first team I’ve seen that prevents penetration- until the last few games. I’m not sure what has changed.

Reactions: Boiler8285
When we were playing our best basketball we were playing off post feeds where Z and the guards were on the same page. There’s a lot of standing around after the post feed now. When this team moves off of the post feed there are weapons everywhere. The defense has been very poor lately. The hallmark of recent Purdue teams has been to allow penetration at will by the opposing team. This if this first team I’ve seen that prevents penetration- until the last few games. I’m not sure what has changed.
It depends on the opponent. Look, there's a reason we have such a great, almost historic winning streak against top teams, because those teams allow us to be what we are best at, a team that has a historic big man dealing one on one down low and winning that matchup, guards who can play aggressive on the perimeter because he's also a rim protector, and using that advantage to create openings and mismatches and passing lanes. Why? Because most of those teams are also built with a quality big man, and are more "traditional" in how they play and set up. We eat them for lunch.

When it comes to teams like today, we simply out talent them. Nothing they can do.

The issue comes when we play tourney level teams (like NW and Neb) who have quality guard play, good shooting, who pack things down low and muddy things up on defense and bring their big outside on offense either because they can shoot the three or they have the handles to take it to the basket.

That's the final key that Painter has to figure out.

I know I will feel a lot better about things, if we shoot the 3 well enough in our next road game, to get the win.

Agree with that - looked it up we are 13th in the country at 39 percent from 3 - if that continues we are in great shape
That’s why the Nebraska game didn’t bother me. They hit 60% and we hit 40% (it was a little skewed after some desperation 3s towards the end), but we made 14. It would have been one of, if not the best, shooting we had last year. The only game we have shot poor from 3 was Northwestern. It’s going to be tough as hell Tuesday, but hopefully we can keep up the 3%.

We should get good looks as IU is NOT good at defending the 3–teams have had wide open looks, I assume that’ll change vs us. IU also is like 12th to last in 3s made, attempted and 3%. I also assume they will have their best shooting of the year vs us 😂 Gunn will probably remember how to shoot on Tuesday…hope not, but they’ll all be (or should be) because this is their Super Bowl and they NEED this win to have any chance at March.

Some people keep repeating this but must not have watched the games. Purdue simply wasn't hitting open shots.
This has happened over and over in March. Is it because they have to expend more energy on defense, or just worn down from the season, or players moved off the spots they normally hit from? Maybe they are playing a bit faster, or it’s just mental. We don’t really know, but something keeps Purdue getting beat by teams they should handle.

This has happened over and over in March. Is it because they have to expend more energy on defense, or just worn down from the season, or players moved off the spots they normally hit from? Maybe they are playing a bit faster, or it’s just mental. We don’t really know, but something keeps Purdue getting beat by teams they should handle.
This is not a mystery, IMO. Purdue's guards the last three seasons simply have not been good enough and that's been exposed by aggressive, athletic, physical guards in the NCAAT. The exception was Ivey and he melted down when SPU manhandled him and he didn't get calls. If Braden, Fletch and Lance are ready for the big stage come March and April this team will be in great shape. If not it's more of the same.

This is not a mystery, IMO. Purdue's guards the last three seasons simply have not been good enough and that's been exposed by aggressive, athletic, physical guards in the NCAAT. The exception was Ivey and he melted down when SPU manhandled him and he didn't get calls. If Braden, Fletch and Lance are ready for the big stage come March and April this team will be in great shape. If not it's more of the same.
Ivey? Maybe the most athletically gifted guards in the country. That was the previous year. People keep playing last year's game in their heads and think it has been repeated the past 10 years. We lost the game in 2022 due to turnovers. That team did not value the ball all year. Check out the turnover numbers. They thought they were good enough to outscore opponents even with fewer possessions. Painter harped on it, but never got it under control. With more possessions, opponents simply had more scoring opportunities.

Reactions: tjreese
Last year, Purdue struggled with its shooting all season. It was a fatal flaw that allowed FDU to completely collapse on Edey. This year is a completely different team in that respect.

Ivey? Maybe the most athletically gifted guards in the country. That was the previous year. People keep playing last year's game in their heads and think it has been repeated the past 10 years. We lost the game in 2022 due to turnovers. That team did not value the ball all year. Check out the turnover numbers. They thought they were good enough to outscore opponents even with fewer possessions. Painter harped on it, but never got it under control. With more possessions, opponents simply had more scoring opportunities.
Lack of discipline in general with that team. It showed up a lot on defense.

That’s why the Nebraska game didn’t bother me. They hit 60% and we hit 40% (it was a little skewed after some desperation 3s towards the end), but we made 14. It would have been one of, if not the best, shooting we had last year. The only game we have shot poor from 3 was Northwestern. It’s going to be tough as hell Tuesday, but hopefully we can keep up the 3%.

We should get good looks as IU is NOT good at defending the 3–teams have had wide open looks, I assume that’ll change vs us. IU also is like 12th to last in 3s made, attempted and 3%. I also assume they will have their best shooting of the year vs us 😂 Gunn will probably remember how to shoot on Tuesday…hope not, but they’ll all be (or should be) because this is their Super Bowl and they NEED this win to have any chance at March.
We have shot poorly from 3 in more games than just NW. Including Morehead State when we made 34.8 %, there have 6 other games where we made 32% or less. That is at least 1/3 or our games.

We have shot poorly from 3 in more games than just NW. Including Morehead State when we made 34.8 %, there have 6 other games where we made 32% or less. That is at least 1/3 or our games.
Bottom line...can't have the three ball determine success. Hitting it is icing for an easier game. Still need to get ball and player to the rim, hit open shots wherever, not turn it over and get to the FT line and hit there and that is just on O.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
To not see the night and day difference from last year when going to Zach isn't happening..............?
Are you in a coma?

To not see the night and day difference from last year when going to Zach isn't happening..............?
Are you in a coma?
Lol there was no night and day difference against Nebraska. We shot better and played worse defense, end result was the same against the same type of opponent that gives us the same type of problems.

Gotta love the various personal attacks if you make the mildest of criticism though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT