ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M boosters pay $30 million NIL to get #1 recruiting class

Major college sports is going to need a salary cap of some kind. Or spending limits like Formula 1. I'm also not sure what to do about my JPC membership. I guess specify the sports. I'm definitely not subsidizing someone who doesn't care about an education.

Boosters, no matter how wealthy will get tired of subsidizing the lifestyle of 18-22 year olds who are not contributing to teams success. I think you’ll see some of these big deals get dialed back and right sized. If there was indeed a $30mil pool that’s about 1 Mil a player X 4 recruitng classes…the economics of it to be something that is sustained just don’t work.
Remember all the kids saying they were used when the topic of paying players first came up? How are they gunna feel when they are PROMISED millions and then kicked to the curb when they can’t produce?

Reactions: Inspector100
Boosters, no matter how wealthy will get tired of subsidizing the lifestyle of 18-22 year olds who are not contributing to teams success. I think you’ll see some of these big deals get dialed back and right sized. If there was indeed a $30mil pool that’s about 1 Mil a player X 4 recruitng classes…the economics of it to be something that is sustained just don’t work.
Remember all the kids saying they were used when the topic of paying players first came up? How are they gunna feel when they are PROMISED millions and then kicked to the curb when they can’t produce?
Being a pro is a double edged sword. You can’t help the team anymore, for whatever reason, hit the bricks pal!!

Reactions: pboiler18
They are probably gonna feel like salesman who cannot meet their sales quotas and watch the guy next door doing triple or quadruple their sales numbers. Players wanted to be paid like employees, now come the expectations of the pay they are about to receive and/or contractually agree to with the NILs.

(Depending on their deal they could be Darrell Hazell collecting $2M per season for 1-2 wins….or if they agree to a contract with zero guaranteed money but pays $50k per win versus FCS and $400k per FBS…they might get a little upset when they get fired after only beating ISU.)

Last edited:
Yep, the NCAA sure cleaned up the corruption marring the college athletic landscape. Thanks, guys. None of us saw this coming- right? (very TIC)
It's as if the NCAA were run by Democrats (sorry, couldn't resist).

I can see the gap-toothed hillbilly iu fans spending their welfare and McDonald's checks on something like this for Indinia.

It's as if the NCAA were run by Democrats (sorry, couldn't resist).
I'm not a democrat, but didn't the Supreme Court that is controlled by conservatives vote to allow this to happen? Many on this very site agreed with the decision. Now it is going to destroy college sports as we have known them. Add all the gambling that is currently tainting all sports and we will soon wonder what has happened.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I'm not a democrat, but didn't the Supreme Court that is controlled by conservatives vote to allow this to happen? Many on this very site agreed with the decision. Now it is going to destroy college sports as we have known them. Add all the gambling that is currently tainting all sports and we will soon wonder what has happened.
My point was tongue in cheek, playing along the lines of "Let's defund the police!" followed by "Wait....crime is out of control!"
Well......duh.

Reactions: z_one
True but that is still not the NCAA, they are still working on their plan to try to keep it fair for all schools that the courts will approve which imo is a very hard thing to do to!

This will all work itself out when the courts rule women need to play on the teams as well to get their fair share of the dough-ray-me. And when Alabama starts to actively recruit the 300 pound transgender linewomen, the robo-coach calls all of the equity plays to make sure no one is offended or oppressed and the drone refs call penalties on every play making games an 8 hour marathon with the outcome pre-determined by computer models and Vegas betting lines, the sport will be relegated to the ranks of the WWE and roller derby. And rightly so!

Reactions: bonefish1
This will all work itself out when the courts rule women need to play on the teams as well to get their fair share of the dough-ray-me. And when Alabama starts to actively recruit the 300 pound transgender linewomen, the robo-coach calls all of the equity plays to make sure no one is offended or oppressed and the drone refs call penalties on every play making games an 8 hour marathon with the outcome pre-determined by computer models and Vegas betting lines, the sport will be relegated to the ranks of the WWE and roller derby. And rightly so!
I wish you were right but that won't happen. This NIL money isn't coming from the schools so Title IX does not apply. In theory, this is about each individual athlete marketing his/her own name, image and likeness in a free marketplace. The courts have no basis to order Bob Rhorman Chevy to provide wheels to the softball team just because the football team got cars.

Reactions: Wolegib
your post would be absurd, if we didn't step back in time, oh, say, 20-30 years, and then look to today...

This is my concern. Not losing recruits to the big boys, that is and has been happening forever. But losing proven, established PLAYERS is another thing.

What if Nic Caraway, who grew up near College Station, tears it up this fall? What’s to keep these TAMU boosters from contacting his family, HS coach, etc with a more lucrative offer?
Welp.

And these same people complain about our country’s economy and inflation! I could think of a lot better things to spend that money on.

I wish you were right but that won't happen. This NIL money isn't coming from the schools so Title IX does not apply. In theory, this is about each individual athlete marketing his/her own name, image and likeness in a free marketplace. The courts have no basis to order Bob Rhorman Chevy to provide wheels to the softball team just because the football team got cars.
Who said the courts would force it? You'll have a lower court rule, which will be supported or overturned by a higher court and so on up the ladder until the Supreme Court either rules or most likely declines to hear it. The courts are used as a pretext to bringing it up the injustice to be "corrected". It's the rest of the peanut gallery that will force the issue. Exhibit A: The WNBA loses money, yet it exists. NIL providers will be asked to give more to the less deserving; at that point the men will be separated from the boys, so to speak.

The way to get rid of the NIL is to change the tax codes and classify it for what it is - a gift - rather than allowing businessmen to deduct it as a business or marketing or good will expense. And to classify it as a gift for people rather than allow it to considered as a charitable donation.

If the NIL was classified on taxes for what in reality it truly is, there would be a lot less NIL donations.

The way to get rid of the NIL is to change the tax codes and classify it for what it is - a gift - rather than allowing businessmen to deduct it as a business or marketing or good will expense. And to classify it as a gift for people rather than allow it to considered as a charitable donation.

If the NIL was classified on taxes for what in reality it truly is, there would be a lot less NIL donations.
The same philosophy should be applied to the wbna and other sporting activities like teams and bowl games etc. Stop using the activity as a tax write off and Start making it be its own business with profits and losses.

This stuff won’t last. It will always persist but boosters will get tired of paying out insane sums of money for little return and things will go back closer to normal vs these kids getting promised millions of dollars before even stepping onto a COLLEGE field. These kids think they are used now…what if they never see a penny of the money they were promised because they don’t ever play or achieve on the field?

all NIL deals SHOULd be public and registered with the schools IMO.
I agree it won't last, but how much damage is being done to college sports? I think the damage will end programs at some schools and end scholarships for some non revenue sports.

Reactions: Tommaker
I wish college football would become more like college baseball, tennis, golf and track. If the player wants money, he/she turns pro . If the player wants an education, he/she goes to college.

Baseball and golf have both proven that players can be pros or go to college and still succeed in their sport. Tiger Woods went to college and then turned pro. Many baseball players went to college and then turned pro. At the same time, many in each sport skipped college.

Basketball is emerging as a sport That offers players a choice of college or turning pro.

We talk about football players needing to go to college so that they can use it to physically develop in order to go into the pros. Is that really a good reason to go to college? Can’t they just go to some nearby gym and do that?

I have an idea. Stop recruiting players out of high school. Use the $ you save from the high school kids and transfer all $ to recruiting transfer portals.
Better yet try to ensure some degree of parity and and have a HS draft. If these kids want to be treated like pros then go all in. Listen to them howl when the number 1 ranked player in HS gets chosen by IU with the first pick.

Better yet try to ensure some degree of parity and and have a HS draft. If these kids want to be treated like pros then go all in. Listen to them howl when the number 1 ranked player in HS gets chosen by IU with the first pick.
I like that idea! Conduct a draft like the pros!

Reactions: Boiler8285
I can see the gap-toothed hillbilly iu fans spending their welfare and McDonald's checks on something like this for Indinia.
Maybe not football, but they would give plasma for basketball. Not that it has helped them. They get their money's worth on TJD?

Well, at least they finally made a NCAA Tournament. I guess that was worth the $400K to $500K he got paid? I thought I remember seeing that amount last year.

I try to understand the benefits to NIL.

Jalen Rose interview on 30 for 30 “Fab Five,” where he talked about going to the book store and seeing his #5 jersey for sale for $50. Rose further explains he then went back to his room and only has enough money to buy Cheerios to eat.

Johnny Manzel completely went off the rails described in his documentary. All the $ came flooding in and no one from his family to the university knew what to do or how to handle that type of fame.

NIL kept us watching Edey one more year.

Contrary to the benefits, it sucks when your DE leaves for more money to another school throwing cash his way. I believe regulation needs to be set forth for players already “under scholarship” and must show a legitimate reason to leave other than more NIL money.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT