ADVERTISEMENT

"Teams that could shake things up"

Here's an ESPN article that mentions the Boilers. Did they really have one of THE WORST turnover rates in DI last season or is Medcalf exaggerating a bit? Most of the rest of it is complimentary:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...iler-teams-power-conferences-2015-2016-season

Medcalf is right. That season-long TO rate was good for 228th in the country. Actually, our TO rate in the Big Ten season was even worse. At 20.9, it was the worst in the conference.

By way of comparison, EVERY player on Wisconsin except for Traevon Jackson had a lower individual TO rate than EVERY player on our roster.

And unlike 2014, when most of our turnovers came from AJ, RJ, and Bryson, last year the disease was more widespread. I suspect that probably had a lot to do with poor post feeds resulting in deflected, mishandled, or intercepted passes. Some of those TOs would be credited to Haas and Hammons, while others would be credited to guards & wings, resulting in bad individual TO rates across the board.

I think this team can be very good by February and March, but guard play is a legitimate concern. I'm intrigued by Ray Day starting at 2, but that doesn't put a lot of perimeter shooting in the starting line up. We'll see what Dakota and Kendall can do. Need a point guard to emerge. My money is on PJ, but maybe not right away.

I think this team can be very good by February and March, but guard play is a legitimate concern. I'm intrigued by Ray Day starting at 2, but that doesn't put a lot of perimeter shooting in the starting line up. We'll see what Dakota and Kendall can do. Need a point guard to emerge. My money is on PJ, but maybe not right away.

Johnny Hill

He's had 20+ point games against Creighton (when they had Doug McDermott, Ethan Wragge, and co.) and a few other teams as well during his collegiate career, as well as high assist numbers in several games. He's not a superstar (or the leaper that Jon Octeus was/is), but he's capable of being a good, B1G caliber point guard.

Boiler Up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT