ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan comparable to David West

Nov 9, 2011
Appreciate it if someone who listened to the entire show could list all the key talking points

- Painter compared Swanigan's decision-making and passing ability to Indiana Pacers power forward David West

- Painter also talked more about Hill, who he finally saw play in person for the first time on Tuesday

- discussed centers A.J. Hammons and Isaac Haas

- Painter said he did not communicate with Swanigan after his commitment to Michigan State, citing Big Ten rules in the wake of the Eric Gordon recruiting situation. (Gordon initially committed to Illinois, but later rescinded and soon chose Indiana.)

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...wanigan-purdue-basketball-recruting/28883117/

I have been telling my friends if Purdue wants to be successful this year the players need to watch tape of the Pacers and Grizzlies as those are 2 teams in the NBA that use 2 post players well and really do well with a high post and low post.

Reactions: GS Thomas
g
I have been telling my friends if Purdue wants to be successful this year the players need to watch tape of the Pacers and Grizzlies as those are 2 teams in the NBA that use 2 post players well and really do well with a high post and low post.

good point....but they aren't in the finals

The Pacers have shown us how good a high-low post offense can be and how bad a high-low post offense can be. They've also shown us that there is a very fine line between the two. Another thing we saw in 13-14 is that hero ball on the perimeter (Stephenson) isn't necessarily compatible with this style.

I am very interested to see what the Boilers show us with regard to the 3 out 2 in offense in the small ball era. I think that one thing we'll see is that everyone will be playing off of Swanigan a lot and that Swanigan's decision making will be crucial to offensive efficiency.

g

good point....but they aren't in the finals

true, but, college bball is behind the NBA, so, Purdue's style works better in the college game than it would the pros. Also, it helps when you have two of the purest three point shooters of this era (Curry and Thompson). The small-ball game is definitely legit, and here to stay...but, I love the advantage that Purdue's size will give them! Boiler Up!

true, but, college bball is behind the NBA, so, Purdue's style works better in the college game than it would the pros. Also, it helps when you have two of the purest three point shooters of this era (Curry and Thompson). The small-ball game is definitely legit, and here to stay...but, I love the advantage that Purdue's size will give them! Boiler Up!
Also, consider the success that the Spurs have had over the years building around maybe the best pure 4 in the history of the game, Tim Duncan. Great teams tend to build around the strengths of great players and make opponents adjust. Purdue needs to capitalize on the strengths of Swanigan and Hammons, because they are difference makers.

The West comparison isn't one I've heard before, but it's one that excites me. Speaking of West, I loved watching him come play in Mackey in 2001 since he allowed John Allison to put up 20 pts & 11 rebs in a PU victory over Xavier...that made it ok that West went for 31 pts & 15 reb against John that night!

Even the worst NBA teams have outstanding talent when compared to college teams. I believe this gives the Boilers even more of an advantage this year. It's hard to get out and run the way most teams are designed to do today if you never get a rebound and every time you get in the lane your shot is as likely to come back at you as to go in.

Reactions: alwaysaboiler
Good. We could use a dose of that. Big AND mean. I like it.

I agree, except for Haas. He needs to keep the same "who me? I was just moving like I normally do" look on his face when he flattens somebody. If he got mean, while in college, he'd get tossed half the time, even if the contact wasn't intentional. One he gets to the NBA, he can show an edge.

I agree, except for Haas. He needs to keep the same "who me? I was just moving like I normally do" look on his face when he flattens somebody. If he got mean, while in college, he'd get tossed half the time, even if the contact wasn't intentional. One he gets to the NBA, he can show an edge.

I think Haas has a feistiness to him. Posters like OldBoiler have mentioned that he was like that in HS in Alabama. Other teams would try to make dirty plays on him to limit him but Haas would get them right back with a taste of their own medicine. I thought there were some moments his freshman season at Purdue where you could see that as well. It may have looked incidental, but something tells me that Isaac had learned about Branden Dawson's history with CMP and Purdue prior to that elbow catching his forehead.

So, I would say he and Swanigan both have a fighting streak to them.

I think Haas has a feistiness to him. Posters like OldBoiler have mentioned that he was like that in HS in Alabama. Other teams would try to make dirty plays on him to limit him but Haas would get them right back with a taste of their own medicine. I thought there were some moments his freshman season at Purdue where you could see that as well. It may have looked incidental, but something tells me that Isaac had learned about Branden Dawson's history with CMP and Purdue prior to that elbow catching his forehead.

So, I would say he and Swanigan both have a fighting streak to them.

I agree that he's got a mean streak. It just shouldn't be apparent to everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT