ADVERTISEMENT

Straight razors

just curious, why? Seems like it would take more skill just to shave.

I personally like the Dollar Shave Club. Good razors, cheap, delivered once/month to your home.

Why!?

First off, you can usually find the same razors online for a cheaper price.

Secondly, while the Gillette razors may be "sticker shock", they should last most people a long time. I go well over a month (often 2) with the same one and I shave every week day and have pretty sensitive skin (so when a razor goes "bad" I'm well aware). The key is to make sure the blade is easily dry (usually hanging a razor is much better).

I spend less than $25 on Gillette Fusion razors a year - $2/month.

Of course, like I said, not all people are the same. But assuming you are doing the $6/month option, that's still around 2 Gillette razors a month, which are high quality.

As for the straight razor inquiry, good luck. It'll take some serious nicks to get it down pat.

I gave some serious consideration to a straight razor, but having to strop it all the time turned me off. plus there is a learning curve. but I did like the thought of the "old-timey" shave so did a lot of research and ended up with a safety razor. I would go to west coast shaving and check those out.

I'd spend some money up front to get one you like b/c the blades are so cheap over time it's less expensive than say a Fusion or even dollar shave club. I got a Muhle and some Personna blades. get a Jack black synthetic brush or a high dollar badger. if you get the Jack black get it from Nordstrom of course b/c of their return policy.

as for the shave...it may not be quite as close as say the mach 5 turbo, but it has been much better for me as I no longer get razor burn. you will slice yourself from time to time of you get lazy with it though.

so, sorry that wasn't about a straight razor; but I was in the same position and now I'm really happy with the safety razor.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

And this is the bottom line: the only reason we have triple, quintuple-bladed razors is because businesses need to make money. Safety razors worked well for years, but blades were cheap, and you rarely need a new handle.

I do DSC right now in the "not so hairy" version (once per two months). I like the razors a lot. Not sure if it's saving me money, but at $3/month, I can't believe it's costing me more...

I shave with a straight razor. I advise getting a safety razor first and using that for a couple months first. Otherwise you'll cut your face up and hate it. The biggest issue is keeping the straight razor sharp. You need to strop it every few shaves and hone it (or send it to be professionally honed) once or twice a year. If you don't do that, you'll get a crappy shave and get bad razor burn. West Coast Shaving has some great products, too. I recommend the DR Harris shave cream and aftershave.

Why? A.) it's more badass than the 5-blade crap. B.) you never have to buy another razor ever again. C.) you get a closer/better shave once you learn the right technique and get used to it. Doesn't take any longer to shave.

Originally posted by FatPizzaGuy:
I gave some serious consideration to a straight razor, but having to strop it all the time turned me off. plus there is a learning curve. but I did like the thought of the "old-timey" shave so did a lot of research and ended up with a safety razor. I would go to west coast shaving and check those out.
I started out with a safety razor, too. Now I'm using a straight razor. The stropping only takes 20 seconds after every 3 shaves or so. It's not a big deal. The learning curve was worse going from a Mach 3 to a safety razor than it was going from a safety razor to a straight razor. Artofmanliness.com is a great resource on this topic.

Thanks, I just wanted to try something new since I've opted to grow a beard.

I have a fusion which I like a lot ( still on my first cartridge since December), and it's comfortable. But I figured a straight blade would help me get a perfect edge.

This post was edited on 8/24 8:36 AM by BoilersRock

I'm also a proponent of the safety razor. Bought a Merkel HD handle, a badger brush, some Col. Conk glycerine soap, and alum block a few months ago, and my shaves are drastically better--no razor burn, no irritation, and a closer, smoother shave. Plus the blades are dirt cheap.

I may move on to the straight razor eventually, but a safety razor sure does the trick.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Safety Razor question

I've been tossing the idea of straight razor also and have a hard time getting a close shave w the Gillette blades around my chin and under the jaw/neck
Also get a razor burn and have gone to useing pre shave oil and a Jack Black shaving cream...works ok
So, does the Safety razor work better on sensitive skin?
Does the old school soap/cream work better than like a Jack Black product?....not sure i am in to all the soap dish, brush and extras that come with it
But want a better shave that does not irritate as much as the Gillette blades
Thanks for any info on this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT