ADVERTISEMENT

Speaker Hastert?

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
3.5 million in hush money, what the hell did this guy do? When he was named speaker out of the blue it was because of his so called great character, looks like it might not have been so great, weird story!

3.5 million in hush money, what the hell did this guy do? When he was named speaker out of the blue it was because of his so called great character, looks like it might not have been so great, weird story!

Very weird, especially given that the money was purportedly for something(s) he did before he was elected to Congress in 1986. I have a hunch what it could possibly be, but I'd prefer not to go down a very ugly road given that's it's only a guess on my part.

Very weird, especially given that the money was purportedly for something(s) he did before he was elected to Congress in 1986. I have a hunch what it could possibly be, but I'd prefer not to go down a very ugly road given that's it's only a guess on my part.
I have probably a similar hunch, thinking about his previous profession. It must have been pretty ugly with him willing to shell out that much money.

I'd say the cat's out of the bag. From Wikipedia:

On May 28, 2015, Hastert was indicted by federal prosecutors, who allege that he evaded the requirement that banks report cash transactions over US$10,000, and made false statements to the FBI about his withdrawals, in a hush money scheme. Hastert allegedly paid $1.7 million to a man whom he had sexually abused when that man was a student at Yorkville High School, during Hastert's time as a teacher and coach there.

I'd say the cat's out of the bag. From Wikipedia:

On May 28, 2015, Hastert was indicted by federal prosecutors, who allege that he evaded the requirement that banks report cash transactions over US$10,000, and made false statements to the FBI about his withdrawals, in a hush money scheme. Hastert allegedly paid $1.7 million to a man whom he had sexually abused when that man was a student at Yorkville High School, during Hastert's time as a teacher and coach there.

Yep--the cat escaped earlier today. And it looks pretty much like I thought it would.

Reactions: burbo
Yep--the cat escaped earlier today. And it looks pretty much like I thought it would.
Yep, what I was afraid of as we'll. Guess he can ask for the hush money back now? Tic of course.

Yep, what I was afraid of as we'll. Guess he can ask for the hush money back now? Tic of course.
How does a retired school teacher/coach come across the kind of money that he allegedly paid in this story? Was it from his years as a lobbyist (I would assume)?

Does this mean the end of the Hastert Rule?

How does a retired school teacher/coach come across the kind of money that he allegedly paid in this story? Was it from his years as a lobbyist (I would assume)?

Does this mean the end of the Hastert Rule?
I read on another board that he apparently had sizable land holdings when he was a teacher. Not sure if they were inherited or just wise investments on his part, or possibly both.

Wow, disturbing, he seemed like a honorable guy. Did you by chance see the video of the CSPAN call he took late last year? My guess is caller Bruce was the guy!

So shocking that such a scandal would happen in politically pristine Illinois. Usually when an Illinois politician is involved in hidden financial skullduggery he's trying to collect money for himself, not give it to somebody else.

He ****ed kids.

Just like the Duggars.

Just like the Vatican.

It is a standard cover-up.

Ask the pope about how to make it go away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT