ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball Some scrimmage notes

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
• Purdue lost to Providence 60-53.

• Nojel Eastern was DNP due to a foot problem, I'm told. Obviously a significant void.

• Sasha Stefanovic and Trevion Williams led Purdue with nine points each. No one took more than Trevion Williams' 10 shot attempts.

• Purdue shot only 28 percent for the scrimmage and was just 5-23 from three. I'm told they generally got decent looks, just didn't make a lot of them.

• Williams led Purdue with 12 rebounds. Providence outrebounded Purdue by one.

• Alpha Diallo scored 22 on 7-14 shooting.

• Purdue's freshmen were a combined 0-7.

• Jahaad Proctor: 3-7, 7 points.

• Providence's length, height and physicality gave Purdue problems.

• Neither team did a great job keeping the other off the offensive glass, but Purdue really struggled without Nojel Eastern when Trevion Williams was out of the game. Matt Haarms didn't play well, doesn't sound like, and Purdue could have used more from him, especially on the glass.

• Too many turnovers, and too many out-of-character shots Purdue took.

• Heard positive things and Brandon Newman and Mason Gillis even though neither did much from a scoring perspective. Gillis came right in and got a few offensive rebounds.

• Purdue generally got good threes, but missed them. Aaron Wheeler had a bunch of good looks down the stretch and couldn't connect. He was 1-6 from three.

• Purdue led by five at half, but Providence had more energy and was more physical coming out of "halftime," and erased that lead pretty quick.

• Providence played zone and man and was really aggressive defensively, and that's what Purdue wanted out of this.

• Eastern's foot issue just popped up the past few days, and isn't considered serious.

• Purdue's starting five was Matt Haarms, Aaron Wheeler, Eric Hunter, Jahaad Proctor and Sasha Stefanovic. Had Nojel Eastern been available, it would have been an either/or deal between Eric Hunter and Jahaad Proctor.

• Just too many turnovers. Trevion Williams was loose with the ball and Sasha Stefanovic got called for a pair of charges, which in context probably isn't ideal considering the nature of his game probably shouldn't make him all that vulnerable to charges.

• Haarms and Williams only played together about three or four minutes. Didn't go well, I don't think.

qcqdktxx9rbsw7ta4jgf

I will add to this throughout the day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News