ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Some defensive ruminations

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
• The line did a nice job on Saturday, showing off its depth: Cole Brevard, Prince James Boyd, Kydran Jenkins, Branson Deen, Sulaiman Kpaka, Khordae Sydnor, Mo Omonode, Scotty Humpich, Lawrence Johnson, Jack Sullivan, Joe Anderson, Nic Caraway all played. That's 12 d-linemen--three at each spot. That is what d-line coach Mark Hagen wants.

E Sullivan, Sydnor, Anderson
NT Johnson, Brevard, Omonode
T Deen, Boyd, Kpaka
LEO Jenkins, Humpich, Caraway

T Greg Hudgins didn't play, as far as I know. Neither did NT D.J. Washington, LEO Yanni Karlaftis, T J.P. Deeter, T Tristan Cox (who probably never will) or E Joe Strickland, who has mono.

Impressive that Omonode played 11 snaps. No true freshman on the roster played more; not a total shock. He has impressed since the moment he arrived in January. Caraway was in for six plays. I bet that number keeps rising. I like the three LEOs: KJ, Humpich and Caraway. Purdue has a nice pass-rush trio there. Thought Boyd played well. He and Brevard needed to step up with Damarjhe Lewis out. Deen led the squad with five pressures; Jenkins had four. Humpich got the lone sack. He's gonna be good. Love how hard he and Jenkins play.

• The LB unit is probably the least strongest of the three defensive units. Just not a lot of pop or athletic ability or speed. Jalen Graham can move about and is the clear alpha of the unit and the entire defense. You saw that on Thursday. He never left the field in his hybrid LB/S role. O.C. Brothers has emerged as the No. 1 WLB. The unit needs his speed. Brothers is still a work in progress but should keep improving. Had a low grade on Thursday; needs to wrap up. WLB Semisi Fakaseiieiki only played six snaps, which was a surprise. MLB Kieren Douglas anchors the middle. He can hit but has limitations. Jacob Wahlberg got some work behind him. He's a bit more athletic than Douglas. Will be interesting to see if Wahlberg's snaps increase over time. He only played four Saturday. WLB Clyde Washington saw some action. He got beat on the winning TD, a wheel route by a RB. Always like his size, as he looks like a LEO almost. No Ben Kruel, a SLB. Still developing. This group struggles in coverage.

• Reese Taylor and Cory Trice started at CBS. Taylor struggled on Thursday. Missed tackles, spotty coverage, penalties. A surprise to me for a veteran player whom the staff had raved about. He was one of the lowest graded Purdue defensive player vs. PSU. He had 5 of 6 passes attempted vs. him completed. CB Jamari Brown must not have practiced enough/been ready to start. He still played 38 snaps to Taylor's 60. Gotta think he'll be back starting soon. Trice showed no ill effects coming off knee surgery. He played 57 snaps and looked good in coverage and vs. the run. No CB had a better grade in coverage than Trice. Future pro. How about Chris Jefferson? The former D2 safety has been a god-send. He was the highest graded Purdue defender. Not the biggest or fastest, but he's like a coach on the field. Can be trusted to not blow assignments. He played 71 snaps; fellow S Cam Allen played 69. He had team-high three missed tackles. Purdue leans on Jefferson/Allen a lot. A smallish duo. Sanoussi Kane is valueable for his ability to play S and CB. He looked bad on that TD pass late in the first half, when he and Allen missed the tackle. Remember: Kane started the bowl game at CB (he's a S by trade) and did well. He will be OK. Purdue would like to have CB Tee Denson. He may be ready later this month (sports hernia). I didn't see Adams State transfer Bryce Adams in the game. Maybe I missed seeing the S/CB. Has no PFF mentions. S Antonio Stevens saw no defensive snaps. Hope he can find a role coming off horrid 2020 knee injury. Ditto Jah'von Grigsby and Brandon Calloway, a guy the staff seems to like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News