ADVERTISEMENT

Rule 15.5.1.7 and the JPC/NIL

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
From TOS

“Walters’ efforts to remake the roster are aided by NCAA rule 15.5.1.7, which is known as the “Aid After Departure of Head Coach” bylaw and has been on the books since 2017. The bylaw states that new coaches can remove a player from their 85-man scholarship roster but keep them on scholarship as long as they stop playing.

It’s a way to clear players who may not be fits for the new schemes–while allowing them to continue their education. And the new coach has room to add players deemed better fits. Plus, a new coach has three semesters to use the rule”

I assume the rule is widely known, but this could be huge in terms of departures. If Walters doesn’t think a guy is a fit, he can basically tell the guy he should transfer with rule 15 in his back pocket. This allows maximum use of the 85.

Also, on the radio he said he was all in on NIL and that donations should go there. He “teases alumni that the facilities are already top notch.” Coaches like him produce. That’s his first super soft warning.. “look, stop with your club where you get better seats or one day if I end up doing great I’m out.”

If he’s not that great oh well. If he’s as great as I think he will be, he’s likely already frustrated that his lack of up front resources has had him relying on shon stephens to solve his roster issues.

I’m not expecting Purdue to spend the kind of up front money it likely took to get Arik Gilbert to nebraska. But there’s a wide valley between that and this.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News