ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Sep 2, 2001
I wonder how Purdue new Women's BB coach is doing on the recruiting trail. I hope this situation works out the same like Painter did when he first was hired as an assistant to Keady. During his first year, Painter had concentrated on the recruiting trail and landed the "Baby Boilers". I know Geralds is coming from a lower class of BB talent at Marion College but she was a great recruiter for them.

I wonder how Purdue new Women's BB coach is doing on the recruiting trail. I hope this situation works out the same like Painter did when he first was hired as an assistant to Keady. During his first year, Painter had concentrated on the recruiting trail and landed the "Baby Boilers". I know Geralds is coming from a lower class of BB talent at Marion College but she was a great recruiter for them.
No media covering this program...so it's been complete silence on anything related to this team including recruiting...sadly.

Madison Layden has a younger sister here in Howard County at Northwestern. McKenna Layden is a 6'2" SG/SF that averaged 23 pts 8 rebounds 6 assists 3.5 steals and 1.3 blocks per game as a Sophomore. She'll be a Junior this fall. I'm really interested to see if Purdue recruits her.

Last edited:
I posted my amateur opinion that we should offer Jessica Carrothers from Crown Point a couple months ago. Just my opinion but I think she could be our point guard for 3 or 4 years. She is the straw that stirs the drink for that state championship Crown Point program and her teammate Stoddard is already committed to us. I have no idea if we are involved or not but I haven't read she's committed anywhere yet.

Notre Dame offered this girl (2023) from Noblesville earlier this spring. Again, no idea our status with her. Just appears to be a high-major recruit from within our natural recruiting area.

Reactions: Russ Ford
There is also the Reynolds sisters up here in South Bend. The oldest graduated and is headed to play at Maryland next season. I believe they have a 2023 (Amiyah) and 2025 (Kira) coming and both have already received some good high-major offers like below. I know the younger one has been offered by Maryland as well.

This shows us having offered all 3 of the South Bend Washington players mentioned here. Lots of competition.

Katie certainly trying. Have to. Usually good coaches, like Painter, can spot talent others miss. Prob need some of those too.
It took time for in - state recruiting to fall off and will take some time to rebuild the relationships. Hope Katie can bring in the types that played big roles on some really good teams - girls like Douglas, Kamara and, well, herself.

I posted my amateur opinion that we should offer Jessica Carrothers from Crown Point a couple months ago. Just my opinion but I think she could be our point guard for 3 or 4 years. She is the straw that stirs the drink for that state championship Crown Point program and her teammate Stoddard is already committed to us. I have no idea if we are involved or not but I haven't read she's committed anywhere yet.

Looks like a great recruit...

Crown Point point guard Jessica Carrothers rated as a four-star prospect, No. 40 in nation by ESPN: ‘I’ve learned I can’t take anything for granted.’​

Looks like a great recruit...

Crown Point point guard Jessica Carrothers rated as a four-star prospect, No. 40 in nation by ESPN: ‘I’ve learned I can’t take anything for granted.’​

Not sure she is a PG. Plays it some for CP but is not the primary PG. Kind of like Carsen Edwards was for Purdue in that she is the prime scorer but not worn out bringing up the ball and starting the offense.

Not sure she is a PG. Plays it some for CP but is not the primary PG. Kind of like Carsen Edwards was for Purdue in that she is the prime scorer but not worn out bringing up the ball and starting the offense.
If you are talking about Carrothers, I think she serves as their primary point guard.

If you are talking about Carrothers, I think she serves as their primary point guard.
She is their primary PG, on the next level she'll need to be a college PG where she learns to distribute more. In High School she has to be the PG and SG I get it, next level she'll need to be a different type of player. I hope she joins her teammate and becomes a Boilermaker.

She is their primary PG, on the next level she'll need to be a college PG where she learns to distribute more. In High School she has to be the PG and SG I get it, next level she'll need to be a different type of player. I hope she joins her teammate and becomes a Boilermaker.
There will certainly be a shift as the competition she plays against gets better and also the quality of the players she's playing with. I've seen her make some really nice passes so I think she's plenty capable but you're right, at the high school level she probably looks to score more as she should (judging by the success the team has had).

Reactions: purduedavie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT