ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Purdue Nation

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I believe that they have called Illinois (Chicago in particular), state of Ohio, Kentucky, and of course Indiana as part of Purdue Nation as far as an emphasis in recruiting, especially the state of Indiana again as it was in the past with Tiller.

I realize that Rivals is not the only service, and it is other people's opinions. However, why do we only have offers out to 2 (Hayes and Knutson) recruits in the preseason top 10 in the state of Indiana for 2016 right now?

As far as the current list, do we feel that we don't have a shot of getting most of them and it is a waste of time, academic issues, personality problems, don't like our coach, we feel that others are more deserving of being in this top 10 right now that we are offering in IN, etc.?

Hazell has mentioned several times in the past about getting the state behind the program by recruiting the state of IN hard again. Of course, we don't want a roster of only Indiana kids, but if we go after state recruits shouldn't we try to get the best in the state when we can or have most of the top tier state recruits just lost faith in our program over the last few years?

13 spots in the class. Going to have to be selective and use resources wisely

Nat100, am I interpreting your post correctly,,,only 13 scholarships currently available for next year? Does this include Knauf?

If that's really his plan, it's been poorly promoted and poorly executed.

Originally posted by lbodel:
If that's really his plan, it's been poorly promoted and poorly executed.

He mentions the state of purdue every time he talks about recruiting. He just hsnt executed
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Granted, I do not read every last article about Purdue, but I read more than the average Purdue fan.

I had never heard of "State of Purdue" until the recruiting dinner when someone posted something from the dinner and people asked what the heck that is (which is essentially the midwest?). So I obviously was not the only person who was hearing it for the first time.

I had never heard he has a focus on recruiting Indiana until I'm reading this post here.

So if these are true focuses, why is it such a secret? Why aren't these promoted? I remember after a basketball game earlier in the season, Matt Painter had a post-game interview on ESPNU or something - and he pretty much gave a recruiting pitch on how centers thrive at Purdue. Why isn't Hazell giving recruiting pitches about this stuff, if it's actually a focus, every media opportunity he has?

At some point, a real plan has to be "really" promoted. Why isn't there a page on the Purdue Football website about "State of Purdue" or in-state recruiting.

I mean, our recruiting is as bad as can be. There's gonna have to be some creative effort put forth - heck, IU's done a good job with it. You can question their coaching all you want, but their recruiting is almost to the point of being significantly better than ours.

I'd like to see some effort put forth that's on the lines of "coaching for your job"...

I was looking over the Rivals Top 250 for 2016 and was disappointed to see that only 3 IN kids showed up on the list. Yes, I know that IN is not a football hotbed, but with that said, all three were going out of state.

Hopefully Hazell can make some inroads on getting some of the top IN kids to stay in state.

Granted, I do not read every last article about Purdue, but I read more than the average Purdue fan.

I had never heard of "State of Purdue" until the recruiting dinner when someone posted something from the dinner and people asked what the heck that is (which is essentially the midwest?). So I obviously was not the only person who was hearing it for the first time.

I had never heard he has a focus on recruiting Indiana until I'm reading this post here.

So if these are true focuses, why is it such a secret? Why aren't these promoted? I remember after a basketball game earlier in the season, Matt Painter had a post-game interview on ESPNU or something - and he pretty much gave a recruiting pitch on how centers thrive at Purdue. Why isn't Hazell giving recruiting pitches about this stuff, if it's actually a focus, every media opportunity he has?

At some point, a real plan has to be "really" promoted. Why isn't there a page on the Purdue Football website about "State of Purdue" or in-state recruiting.

I mean, our recruiting is as bad as can be. There's gonna have to be some creative effort put forth - heck, IU's done a good job with it. You can question their coaching all you want, but their recruiting is almost to the point of being significantly better than ours.

I'd like to see some effort put forth that's on the lines of "coaching for your job"...

State of Purdue has been used quite frequently... https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hazell+"state+of+purdue"

isnt pennsylvania included? I remember thinking it was a stretch but a talent rich state so why not when Haz started talking about it

Yes, PA was included. Purdue had some success recruiting the state under Hope.

Just because people haven't heard of it, they accuse the coach of poorly promoting it....when if you've been exposed to ANYTHING Purdue recruiting this has been referenced.

Just because YOU don't remember it doesn't mean the coach hasn't spoken about it.

New Just because people haven't heard of it, they accuse the coach of poorly promoting it....when if you've been exposed to ANYTHING Purdue recruiting this has been referenced.

Just because YOU don't remember it doesn't mean the coach hasn't spoken about it.

Hahahaha. Im a 40 year old office worker. Why is this the first Ive heard of this?!?!

Not that Ive done a sweeping analysis of it, but it doesnt seem like this is where our footprint is. Seems more national excluding the west states.

Most of the references are not terribly recent. Purdue's own release about the recruiting class this year made zero mention of it.

Also, the "State of Purdue" is not logical - you have to explain what it means every time it's mentioned. Hard to latch onto/embrace.

You can only do as well as the people around. I'm not blaming Hazell - it's pretty clear there isn't great branding at Purdue and if it's a "strategy" they want to use - why is there no mention of it on the website or in recruiting class releases?

Branding, one thing Purdue University and Purdue Athletics are terrible at! After leaving the state and living in the southeast and southwest the majority of the people that ask me where I went to school respond, Purdue is an Ivy League University on the East Coast, right?

Most of the references are not terribly recent. Purdue's own release about the recruiting class this year made zero mention of it.

Also, the "State of Purdue" is not logical - you have to explain what it means every time it's mentioned. Hard to latch onto/embrace.

You can only do as well as the people around. I'm not blaming Hazell - it's pretty clear there isn't great branding at Purdue and if it's a "strategy" they want to use - why is there no mention of it on the website or in recruiting class releases?

It doesn't sound like you're following, as that was part of the point... it didn't just occur, it's been used in the past. I've always taken "State of Purdue" to be similar to "Purdue Nation". And I don't think it was something intended to be "latch(ed) onto/embrace(d)", just a clever phrase to get the point across.

It doesn't sound like you're following, as that was part of the point... it didn't just occur, it's been used in the past. I've always taken "State of Purdue" to be similar to "Purdue Nation". And I don't think it was something intended to be "latch(ed) onto/embrace(d)", just a clever phrase to get the point across.
I'm all for more Pa. players myself.

I was looking over the Rivals Top 250 for 2016 and was disappointed to see that only 3 IN kids showed up on the list. Yes, I know that IN is not a football hotbed, but with that said, all three were going out of state.

Hopefully Hazell can make some inroads on getting some of the top IN kids to stay in state.

He took the worst MAC to a bowl in three years with recruits worse than ours. It takes longer to turn a larger boat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT