ADVERTISEMENT

Rashunda Jones shines on Purdue Fan Day

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
What stood out at Purdue WBB Fan Day? Boiler Upload’s got you covered!

⭐️ Rashunda Jones shows out
🧩 Piecing together the front court
🏀 How are the youngsters coming along?

Premium article

Thanks for the write up Dub...probably wiil take a year or two for the new talent to jell, but Coach KG has us heading in the right direction !
I think the team makes a small jump this year, maybe they can win a game in the tourney? Not sure they can make a sweet 16 but one never knows, they definitely have some older/experienced girls in the lineup.

Thanks for the write up Dub...probably wiil take a year or two for the new talent to jell, but Coach KG has us heading in the right direction !

While I understand where you’re going with that, I’m betting the coaching staff is hoping that the new talent will jell much quicker than that.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, we have a very solid core of veterans returning this year. We will need our youth to come in and be a support system for that. The growth and development of 3 newcomers will be essential for this team to maximize results this year. MA and Mila down low and Jones at the point.

It’s pretty obvious why we need MA and Mila down low as they will need to support Harper in the post. MA has things early on in her college career you simply can’t teach. She is one - smart, two- physically developed and three- fundamentally sound. Sure there will be a learning curve for her but I’m betting she will use all three attributes to her advantage as she gets accustomed to the college game. Mila has a year under her belt and has the tools and fundamentals needed to be successful. She gives us something we have not had under KG - a mobile post that can score at all three levels, I’m excited to see how the coaching staff uses her at the 4 spot in particular.

Jones gives this team something it desperately needed last year. A scorer at the point. We had to resort to Ellis last year at times and I believe that limited her potential impact at the wing spot as just being a pure scorer. There were times last year when teams barely needed to guard JT as she was simply not an option offensively for us. To have Spider come in and produce offensively at the point will force teams to guard us differently, and hopefully that will rectify our issues of going in scoring draughts. It will also allow for Terry to play off the ball more and potentially making her even more of a formidable rebounder she already is at the guard spot. (This will probably be the case when we play smaller, quicker teams.)

Those 3 jelling with the returning core are going to be the key for us to have success. When do they develop? Hard to tell. But I’m hopeful that KG has put together a tough enough OOC schedule that throws them into the fire immediately - will it always be pretty? - probably not - but the sooner these kids get into the fire the sooner the diamond is made. I’m hopeful that by B10 season these 3 will be developed enough to be key cogs in a rotation that I believe is talented enough to play with every team in the big ten and make the tournament once again.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I think the team makes a small jump this year, maybe they can win a game in the tourney? Not sure they can make a sweet 16 but one never knows, they definitely have some older/experienced girls in the lineup.
I can see a small step up, making the field of 64 and maybe as high as 5th or 6th in conference with about 21 wins. I can also see us slipping back a little, only winning 16 games finishing 8th in the conference and maybe making some noise in the WNIT.

While I understand where you’re going with that, I’m betting the coaching staff is hoping that the new talent will jell much quicker than that.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, we have a very solid core of veterans returning this year. We will need our youth to come in and be a support system for that. The growth and development of 3 newcomers will be essential for this team to maximize results this year. MA and Mila down low and Jones at the point.

It’s pretty obvious why we need MA and Mila down low as they will need to support Harper in the post. MA has things early on in her college career you simply can’t teach. She is one - smart, two- physically developed and three- fundamentally sound. Sure there will be a learning curve for her but I’m betting she will use all three attributes to her advantage as she gets accustomed to the college game. Mila has a year under her belt and has the tools and fundamentals needed to be successful. She gives us something we have not had under KG - a mobile post that can score at all three levels, I’m excited to see how the coaching staff uses her at the 4 spot in particular.

Jones gives this team something it desperately needed last year. A scorer at the point. We had to resort to Ellis last year at times and I believe that limited her potential impact at the wing spot as just being a pure scorer. There were times last year when teams barely needed to guard JT as she was simply not an option offensively for us. To have Spider come in and produce offensively at the point will force teams to guard us differently, and hopefully that will rectify our issues of going in scoring draughts. It will also allow for Terry to play off the ball more and potentially making her even more of a formidable rebounder she already is at the guard spot. (This will probably be the case when we play smaller, quicker teams.)

Those 3 jelling with the returning core are going to be the key for us to have success. When do they develop? Hard to tell. But I’m hopeful that KG has put together a tough enough OOC schedule that throws them into the fire immediately - will it always be pretty? - probably not - but the sooner these kids get into the fire the sooner the diamond is made. I’m hopeful that by B10 season these 3 will be developed enough to be key cogs in a rotation that I believe is talented enough to play with every team in the big ten and make the tournament once again.
I would rate this as the "best case senario" but believe we will fall short of that. I also do not think we have the talent to play with a healthy IU, Iowa, or OSU. We are still well bhind them in talent and experience and it will likely show in some lopsided losses.

I would rate this as the "best case senario" but believe we will fall short of that. I also do not think we have the talent to play with a healthy IU, Iowa, or OSU. We are still well bhind them in talent and experience and it will likely show in some lopsided losses.
Gearlds has to be disappointed in the lack of fan support for the women yesterday. Didn’t appear to be many in attendance at all.

Gearlds has to be disappointed in the lack of fan support for the women yesterday. Didn’t appear to be many in attendance at all.
Dont know what fan day you were watching. I thought I was pretty well attended, one of the better ones since I started taking my granddaughters several years ago. I also noticed fewer people skipping over the ladies for autographs just to get to the guys. It was a much more engaging group with my grandkids than in years past.

Dont know what fan day you were watching. I thought I was pretty well attended, one of the better ones since I started taking my granddaughters several years ago. I also noticed fewer people skipping over the ladies for autographs just to get to the guys. It was a much more engaging group with my grandkids than in years past.
Glad you had a good experience with your grandchildren. Dub tweeted a picture 15 minutes before it began and Mackey was pretty empty. Also Purdue Women tweeted a clip of the day and again, not many in attendance.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Glad you had a good experience with your grandchildren. Dub tweeted a picture 15 minutes before it began and Mackey was pretty empty. Also Purdue Women tweeted a clip of the day and again, not many in attendance.

The athletic dept is not doing the women’s program any favors by having them scrimmage first instead of second. Not many can make a 10am call on a Saturday. It should not start that early in the first place. There are tons of kid sports events going on at that time. Maybe if it was held on a football weekend with 330 start time that would work. But it wasn’t. If it’s held on a non football weekend it should start at least at 3 pm to make sure everyone that wants to attend can.

Painter hates the idea of a Mackey madness. Similar to what iu does and we did I believe one year. He wants a public scrimmage. Of course what Paint says goes no matter how beneficial an event like that could be for the women’s program and his alike 🙄

Last edited:
Valid point! I guess I noticed the crowd more when it was towards the end of the scrimmage. It was pretty barren at the start.

Reactions: HoopDad317
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT