ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Quick Wednesday practice notes

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
Co-DC/d-line coach Mark Hagen

- Always had high hopes for Khordae Sydnor; gotten better each week; two good rushes last week; redshirted last year; took advantage of batting 1st/2nd stringers in practice; had good spring; has length; good athlete
- Nic Caraway gets better each week; big, athletic young man; he is like a sponge; lots of reps last week
- Run defense is Coach English’s mind-set; working on run fits since January; need to be gap-sound; have to be physical in Big Ten; group effort to stop run; try to make teams one-dimensional
- Gonna face some good RBs coming up
- Nebraska been in most games, now won two in a row; won’t fear us
- Depth helps vs. the run; no one needs to play a lot of snaps; we don't have drop-off when we sub
- Tightened the rotation a little bit
- Cole Brevard has given up a physical presence at NG; one of strongest guys on team; big, 325 pounds; cleaned up technique; has confidence
- Trying to get Mo Omonode more time; gives us mobility at NG
- Our guys just like to straight rush; have some other packages to rush with, too
- NG Lawrence Johnson has been helped by line depth, doesn't have to play as many snaps; keep him healthier

NT Cole Brevard

- Good to be back home in Indiana; I love it here
- Got to WL in summer; felt home
- Coach Hagen recruited in high school at Carmel; had good connection with him
- Feel like I have gotten better, reading my keys, playing hard
- Good at not getting moved by double-teams; strength helps
- Goal of ours is to stop the run each week

NT Lawrence Johnson

- Depth major help to keeping me healthy; was playing 60 or so snaps before, not as effective; reps cut in half now; have no drop-off with Cole Brevard and Mo Omonode in at NT
- Just wanna win; don't care about my snap count
- Nebraska will be physical
- Cole Brevard is agile for his size, and has power, too
- Asked to watch a lot of film, study
- Pride for us to be good vs. run; worked on run fits a lot of time; have to beat us via the air
- Hats to the ball is our philosophy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News