ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those who are good in english writing

icewind7

Sophomore
Apr 25, 2005
When you write, do you say

1) Purdue won the title OR
2) We won the title

Is it OK for me, a PU alumni, to say "we won the title" if I am not even playing in the game?

thanks!

I try to say 'Purdue' as opposed to 'we' despite being an alumnus, born from a confidence that neither my degree nor my internet bravado would be guiding factors in either victory or defeat.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

It's strictly a matter of opinion. If you consider the team an extension of Purdue University, it's students and alumni, then yes.

People do it all the time when discussing things.
We defeated the British in the American Revolution.
How many newspapers (along with Lloyd Christmas) declared "We've landed on the moon!".

Arguing the technicality of what has become a common practice in the English language strikes me as pedantic but to each his own.

I write Purdue. Though I have won the national championship for Purdue thousands of times on my backyard goal and graduated from Purdue in 1995, I have never officially suited up for the Boilermakers.

As BoilerGrad02 said, it's a matter of personal preference.
This post was edited on 3/9 4:07 PM by Professor Emeritus

As an Alum and feel I am in the company of other Alums.......I say "We". IMO, I AM A BOILER!

On the other hand, I also am a Chicago Bears, Bulls, Sox, Cubs, Blackhawks fan. I don't say "We" about those teams. Just picking a team to follow hardly makes "Me" responsible for anything.

I say "we" because I am a die hard Purdue alumni that feels I am part of the university.

That includes any athletic teams, academic accolades, etc................

Boiler the F Up!

Grow some nutz

Mike Golic said it best...You "WE" your college teams...you don't "we" professional teams. "We" finished tied for 3rd in the Big Ten..."The Pacers" might miss the playoffs...

Originally posted by icewind7:
When you write, do you say

1) Purdue won the title OR
2) We won the title

Is it OK for me, a PU alumni, to say "we won the title" if I am not even playing in the game?

thanks!
When Purdue wins that next title, you can say whatever the hell you want.
happy0005.r191677.gif

To be correct, unless you're a part of the team or the group you should say "Purdue won the title".

Agree with bearsboiler. I always and always will say "we" when it comes to Purdue. No other sports teams though. I AM AN ALUM DAMNIT!! I GET PRIVILEGES!!!
furious.r191677.gif

I have gone back an forth on my personal preference for my wording. However, I realized I paid a lot of money to Purdue, and a lot of money to Purdue athletics specifically. SO since it is a public owned company I consider myself a very minor owner of the teams. So... I am fine if I say we. My friend who went to Ball State by cheers for OSU I bust him all the time for saying we though. ha ha ha.

we.
the players and staff know they put in a crazy amount of effort more than fans,
however for the time we do spend in the stands, money spent on tickets, sore throats from yelling, being classmates with players, being an alum, still watching games with friends/family years later - that equates to we imo.

As others have said, it's a semantic issue rather than a grammatical one. Personally, I say both of those, but when I say "we," I'm implying support for Purdue rather implying I had something to do with the success.

I'd love to be able to say either of your sentences.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by proudopete:
Makers All
This. Say "we" if you want.

I personally try to say "Purdue" instead of "we", but that's me. Maybe I'm reacting to the trailer trash iu fans who never got past 3rd grade thumping their chests over a victory "they" earned.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

For me it depends on the situation or mood I'm in. My family has a long history of either going to Purdue or being diehard fans of them .. so for me it's "we".

People say "we" in terms of teams when there is a deep association with them I think. And let's face it, there wouldn't be organized sports if it wasn't for the revenue of fans. So while you may not be on the court/field with the team, if you put that sort of dedication in to something, I think that gives you the right to say "we".

I prefer the use of the term "Purdue" as opposed to the "we." However, I do agree with those that say the "we" should be used only by alums, students and staff as they have direct ties to the university. The idea of sub-alums using "we"is patently absurd imo.

As an alum, I have used the "we" but rarely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT