ADVERTISEMENT

Put things into perspective

Mar 2, 2016
Purdue will be back in the tournament next year. With a better backcourt and guards. FDU won’t see the tournament until 2035 again. Purdue overachieved this year. With an average age of idk 22. Fdu average age 25. We have true freshman. They don’t. This team overachieved. All year. IU was supposed to dominate the big ten and get to the final four. Didn’t happen. Purdue won conference and conference tourney. We all know how much of a bs crapshoot this tourney is. Especially now with all the stupid transfer rules and essentially building super teams for the tourney. Purdue will get to the final four next year whether edey stays or not. F the haters. Especially the douche FDU coach who will lose against FAU and be irrelevant and not have a job soon enough.

Purdue will be back in the tournament next year. With a better backcourt and guards. FDU won’t see the tournament until 2035 again. Purdue overachieved this year. With an average age of idk 22. Fdu average age 25. We have true freshman. They don’t. This team overachieved. All year. IU was supposed to dominate the big ten and get to the final four. Didn’t happen. Purdue won conference and conference tourney. We all know how much of a bs crapshoot this tourney is. Especially now with all the stupid transfer rules and essentially building super teams for the tourney. Purdue will get to the final four next year whether edey stays or not. F the haters. Especially the douche FDU coach who will lose against FAU and be irrelevant and not have a job soon enough.

Our goal is FDU now?

I thought our goal was to make the Final Four?

Do you see us ever doing that with our current roster?

Our goal is FDU now?

Yes I do. This team is only gonna get better. We weren’t even ranked preseason. Expected to finish mid in big ten. We shouldn’t have been a 1 seed. That says a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Mobes and clankhan
Hahahahahha

Purdue will be lucky to keep Catchings.

Smith is sorry, white boy lawyer ja sorry. Purdue us trash poll

We also have great recruits coming in. I’d be more upset as an IU fan. They underachieved. They were expected to dominate big ten and get to the final four. Don’t see that happening.
IU May make the final four this year. Let’s see before we trash them.

Reactions: KenTre1983
IU May make the final four this year. Let’s see before we trash them.
Technically, the poster is correct. IU didn't dominate the B1G. So, they can't "dominate the B1G AND get to the final four." But, they can still get to the FF. And, I think most Purdue fans would take that over another B1G regular season and tourney title.

Our goal is FDU now?

The roster is not the problem. If Smith had any help breaking the press, (or if there was a real strategy) he wouldn't have been so gassed and could have probably played a decent offensive game otherwise. The refs screwed Smith on several occasions last night as well. When FAU destroys FDU it will be even more apparent how epic this loss was. I am still really pissed at the refs as well; why in the world does it take 5 minutes to review an out of bounds possession when it was completely obvious after 2 seconds of review that it was last touched by FDU? All that did was ice Purdue even more. The refs gave FDU at least 8 points last night and without that we would have eeked out the victory.

This team overachieved? I think the correct statement is Zach Edey overachieved. Once teams figured out how to neutralize him, this team performed as expected.

Yes I do. This team is only gonna get better. We weren’t even ranked preseason. Expected to finish mid in big ten. We shouldn’t have been a 1 seed. That says a lot.
What has painter shown you in 18 years that gives you confidence that he can coach a team to. FF?
Is he going to change his philosophies? Suddenly recruit great athletes and run a transition offense?
Play zone D?

Nope. He’ll continue to try and run a 1980s style with a big low post scorer and man D.
He’s not changing.

We also have great recruits coming in. I’d be more upset as an IU fan. They underachieved. They were expected to dominate big ten and get to the final four. Don’t see that happening.
I’ll be very surprised is Colvin and Catchings sign.

Technically, the poster is correct. IU didn't dominate the B1G. So, they can't "dominate the B1G AND get to the final four." But, they can still get to the FF. And, I think most Purdue fans would take that over another B1G regular season and tourney title.
agree, but that not gonna happen.

The roster is not the problem. If Smith had any help breaking the press, (or if there was a real strategy) he wouldn't have been so gassed and could have probably played a decent offensive game otherwise. The refs screwed Smith on several occasions last night as well. When FAU destroys FDU it will be even more apparent how epic this loss was. I am still really pissed at the refs as well; why in the world does it take 5 minutes to review an out of bounds possession when it was completely obvious after 2 seconds of review that it was last touched by FDU? All that did was ice Purdue even more. The refs gave FDU at least 8 points last night and without that we would have eeked out the victory.
Weak. Blaming the refs for a loss to a 16 seed.
Try harder.

• Haha
Reactions: Mobes and 1IRISH1
I’ll be very surprised is Colvin and Catchings sign.
Honestly, I don’t know why they would at this point. 4-5 * players aren’t content with winning the conference, its about NCAAT success on the only stage that matters.

Not sure what game you were watching. Purdue‘s guards and forwards were terrified to shoot the 3 ball. I am a big Gillis fan, but he passed up wide open look after wide open look. You are reaching for an excuse and trying to blame the refs. The loss was on Purdue and CMP.

Reactions: bonefish1
Honestly, I don’t know why they would at this point. 4-5 * players aren’t content with winning the conference, its about NCAAT success on the only stage that matters.
And told to dump the ball inside to a slow footed 7 footer.

Nope.....not in my lifetime would I take a FF OVER what we accomplished in the regular season. In ADDITION to, sure.

This is, exactly, why I put little relevance into this one and done March tournament. One bad shooting night for ANYONE and the season is over. Believe me, I get why the overwhelming majority say the opposite. I just don't rank the March tournament as a higher "achievement" over the regular season. 20 games vs. 6...at most.

It's simply a run in front of a large TV audience / gamblers in order for a business to make hundreds of millions. Fun to watch, little relevance......for me.

Reactions: sixpackpete
Your
Nope.....not in my lifetime would I take a FF OVER what we accomplished in the regular season. In ADDITION to, sure.

This is, exactly, why I put little relevance into this one and done March tournament. One bad shooting night for ANYONE and the season is over. Believe me, I get why the overwhelming majority say the opposite. I just don't rank the March tournament as a higher "achievement" over the regular season. 20 games vs. 6...at most.

It's simply a run in front of a large TV audience / gamblers in order for a business to make hundreds of millions. Fun to watch, little relevance......for me.
That’s the problem with a lot of Purdue fans. We don’t succeed in March, therefore it’s not important. Sad.

Your

That’s the problem with a lot of Purdue fans. We don’t succeed in March, therefore it’s not important. Sad.
I've told you this for years on here. Don't give a damn about a one and done tournament, therefore it's not important......to me. The human element of the individual players and their personal growth is infinitely more important to me. Like I said, I get why the majority put all of the hopes and dreams on a one off, crap shoot.

Not accepting someone else's opinion.....sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: dumpsterFyre
I've told you this for years on here. Don't give a damn about a one and done tournament, therefore it's not important......to me. The human element of the individual players and their personal growth is infinitely more important to me. Like I said, I get whey the majority put all of the hopes and dreams on a one off, crap shoot.

If it were really a "Crap shoot" then there wouldn't be such a short list of programs to do it. Then, it would simply be a law of averages and everyone would eventually win one. It's not a crap shoot. Some coaches and programs have a legit shot over and over year after year. But, this is how mediocrity is accepted and losing is tolerated. "Well, it's luck"......."Well, it's a crap shoot". The truth is water finds it's level. It's why 1 seeds almost never lose in the first 2 rounds. It's not luck. You're either a very good team or you aren't. It's not a coin toss. Not a roll of dice.

Have your opinion. I accept it. Some of us have a different opinion. But, don't act virtuous and call it a crap shoot.

So you prefer being regionally relevant to nationally relevant? I don't think the kids who play college basketball have that perspective at all.

Reactions: bonefish1
I've told you this for years on here. Don't give a damn about a one and done tournament, therefore it's not important......to me. The human element of the individual players and their personal growth is infinitely more important to me. Like I said, I get why the majority put all of the hopes and dreams on a one off, crap shoot.

But, it’s important from a national perception, it’s important in recruiting, it important in funding, so yeh, it’s really important.
I couldn’t care less if any players get a degree. They’re here to play basketball. Otherwise, their scholarship would be dependent on getting a degree.
Do you care that Big Dog didn’t graduate? Ivey?

Here is some perspective...We just lost to the smallest team in D1...With an average height of 6'3!!! A team that didn't win their regular season or conference tourney!! A team with 3 D2 transfers playing big minutes

I'm legit surprised FDU is D1. It really feels like losing to Manchester Bible College or Ivy Tech, they are that bad...and the loss is that level of awfulness.

I don't know what this thread means but I do know that this board is racist against Jews who have Purdont degrees.

But, it’s important from a national perception, it’s important in recruiting, it important in funding, so yeh, it’s really important.
I couldn’t care less if any players get a degree. They’re here to play basketball. Otherwise, their scholarship would be dependent on getting a degree.
Do you care that Big Dog didn’t graduate? Ivey?
First off, please understand that I'm not trying to be argumentative in my response. Texting / messaging has it's limitations in interpretations.

"I couldn’t care less if any players get a degree. They’re here to play basketball. Otherwise, their scholarship would be dependent on getting a degree."

This isn't a professional team. Regardless of perception, they are still STUDENTS playing basketball. Hard period. I can assure you that Purdue basketball players are not getting paid to play basketball.......ONLY.

Those items you mentioned have their place on the "importance" ladder. Facilities, coaching, academics, proximity, and now, conference money and NIL are of much more importance than the March tournament perception. All of the programs that have a "national brand" have all had their stumbles in the March tournament in an "embarrassing" or "humiliating" fashion. Only 1 like yesterday but they won 6 games in a row the next year.

ALL players understand tough losses prior to going to their college of choice. Losing in March is just part of a process. Later is preferred to sooner but, to me, this has been an OUTSTANDING year with a few hiccups along the way. If Zach stays, next year could be even more entertaining and that's a fantastic thought. My message to the players would be, "What are you going to do about it?"

Get mad, get stronger, keep bonding and building that 5 * chemistry.

To me, athletes, coaching, game plan......none of that lost the game. We simply missed shots. It started in February and continued through yesterday. Make more shots and they are playing on Sunday. It's really that simple. The shots were wide open and the players were making them most of 3 / 4 of the year.

No, I don't care that two players that were going to be multi-millionaire's left the program. I would have done the same. Every player's situation is different.

You are certainly entitled to your perception and level of interest / enjoyment of Purdue Athletics.

Reactions: Schnelk
If Smith had any help…that’s a roster problem. And geez don’t blame the refs for this one.

So you prefer being regionally relevant to nationally relevant? I don't think the kids who play college basketball have that perspective at all.
I didn't realize that Fox Sports, ESPN, CBS, FOX, TV AND RADIO, were regional in scope. I didn't realize that the AP Polls and Coaches Polls were regional in scope.

I didn't realize that Selection Sunday / BTT final was regional, in scope. I didn't realize that Matt Painter's appreciation / professional support / adoration was regional in scope.

There is nothing about what Purdue accomplished this year that was relegated to regional-only coverage. Good and bad. A whole season of good. A few days of bad.

Purdue has been nationally relevant.....outside of selective talking points......for a long time.

Look at the Purdont football and basketball player majors. They're not here for degrees that matter, by and large. STOP THE LIES.

He's right! Way to go, Painter!!! We should be proud that Purdue gave FDU a good fight.

I didn't realize that Fox Sports, ESPN, CBS, FOX, TV AND RADIO, were regional in scope. I didn't realize that the AP Polls and Coaches Polls were regional in scope.

I didn't realize that Selection Sunday / BTT final was regional, in scope. I didn't realize that Matt Painter's appreciation / professional support / adoration was regional in scope.

There is nothing about what Purdue accomplished this year that was relegated to regional-only coverage. Good and bad. A whole season of good. A few days of bad.

Purdue has been nationally relevant.....outside of selective talking points......for a long time.
And were ranked nationally No. 1 for 7? weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT