ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue with 10th ranked portal class

247 Sports had Purdue's transfer class as 7th nationally and that article was from last week prior to the big commitments from this last weekend. It just shows that you don't have to get all 5* transfers to make a difference. Good solid recruiting. I'm too old to smoke the wacky-tobaccy (more of a Jameson whisky man) but I think 8-4 record is doable next year.

Hopefully better ones to come to bump that number up!
Outside of Burks going to Oklahoma here are some of the schools the transfers are signing with….
UAB, South Florida, ball state, western Michigan, Maryland, Mississippi st, south Alabama, Vandy
All do respect to those schools but those are all down grade moves outside of Oklahoma and maybe Mississippi st. It’s a little upsetting seeing that many transfers but welcome to college football now. Us fans need to realize these guys aren’t jumping ship for money going to schools like that. That’s lack of talent or extra Covid year guys trying to play more. Coach Walters isn’t trying to play with Brohms leftovers that couldnt make it…he’s trying to improve this team for the better so hopefully it pays off!!

It appears the coaching staff is shoring up the O and D lines, RB, and D-backs. All that is left are some talented WRs and the team will start to come together. Hoping we get some speedsters in at WR.

Reactions: z_one
It appears the coaching staff is shoring up the O and D lines, RB, and D-backs. All that is left are some talented WRs and the team will start to come together. Hoping we get some speedsters in at WR.
There's plenty of PT and opportunity to go around in the WR room is a couple big timers want to come.

Reactions: Bippus33 and z_one
Outside of Burks going to Oklahoma here are some of the schools the transfers are signing with….
UAB, South Florida, ball state, western Michigan, Maryland, Mississippi st, south Alabama, Vandy
All do respect to those schools but those are all down grade moves outside of Oklahoma and maybe Mississippi st. It’s a little upsetting seeing that many transfers but welcome to college football now. Us fans need to realize these guys aren’t jumping ship for money going to schools like that. That’s lack of talent or extra Covid year guys trying to play more. Coach Walters isn’t trying to play with Brohms leftovers that couldnt make it…he’s trying to improve this team for the better so hopefully it pays off!!
article referred to Burks as a big time receiver, I always thought he was a good receiver

247 Sports had Purdue's transfer class as 7th nationally and that article was from last week prior to the big commitments from this last weekend. It just shows that you don't have to get all 5* transfers to make a difference. Good solid recruiting. I'm too old to smoke the wacky-tobaccy (more of a Jameson whisky man) but I think 8-4 record is doable next year.

also has a ranking list on their site that has us at 14th

Reactions: rgarlitz and z_one
article referred to Burks as a big time receiver, I always thought he was a good receiver
Good receiver….yes
Big time speed…yes
Big time receiver…no
Kids got talent and would have loved to keep him on the team but he is not a big time receiver yet. Big time receivers run good routes to get open and stay on their feet when the ball is thrown to them.

Reactions: z_one and Kocher101
I would add that if I already have my undergraduate degree and, after not excelling in football for the last three or four years while still giving it my all, transferring to a school with a stellar academic reputation for a graduate degree would be very attractive. Knowing that my professional life probably won’t include football, I could see why Vanderbilt would be an attractive destination.

I would add that if I already have my undergraduate degree and, after not excelling in football for the last three or four years while still giving it my all, transferring to a school with a stellar academic reputation for a graduate degree would be very attractive. Knowing that my professional life probably won’t include football, I could see why Vanderbilt would be an attractive destination.
Agree. A Masters degree from Maryland or UAB, among others, isn't too shabby, either.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Looking at the 247 portal rankings, I'm surprised not to see a lot of the big programs listed at the top. Colorado probably isn't surprising because of the Deion effect, but Ole Miss, Arizona State, and NC State, along with Louisville, are also leading at getting top transfers.

Yes for sure but I don’t think portal kids think that way these days unless they are really serious about school…Khordae Sydnor is a sophomore and he is the player transfering to Vandy so he’s not even getting his Purdue degree before leaving. Granted Vandy’s academics are top notch but out of the 22 portal guys I believe only 10 of them got their Purdue degree!

Looking at the 247 portal rankings, I'm surprised not to see a lot of the big programs listed at the top. Colorado probably isn't surprising because of the Deion effect, but Ole Miss, Arizona State, and NC State, along with Louisville, are also leading at getting top transfers.

ASU is in the same boat as Purdue, !st yr HC w/ a team that has a similar record

Good receiver….yes
Big time speed…yes
Big time receiver…no
Kids got talent and would have loved to keep him on the team but he is not a big time receiver yet. Big time receivers run good routes to get open and stay on their feet when the ball is thrown to them.
Has the potential to be a great slot receiver. I don't see him as a number one receiver anywhere. He's not great at tracking the ball, or getting separation except on go routes using his speed but those are not efficient snaps. That speed is important and if he is to excel it would be where someone focuses on teaching him to get early separation in a slot role with the occasional use of taking the top off the defense.

But for us if wasn't hitting the big shot he wasn't doing much at all. Granted a few of those big shots were electric.

How tall is Burks actually? Saw he's listed at 5'11ish. Doesn't look that tall to me. Not hatin on the guy at all, just seemed like a rather small target for all those deep throws.

Think he'd relish in a Rondale Moore type of role where you're lining him up all over...at least in college.

Reactions: cillerdo
I don’t believe playing time is as big a recruiting tool as it used to be. If an athlete is good they kind of expect to play. Or start upon arrival. Look at Card. He didn’t come to Purdue to be a backup and he wasn’t afraid of beating out the competition. I can Vandy being a nice place to go if you are a grad student and realize your playing days will be over once your eligibility is used up. Nashville is a nice town and Vandy offers a good education. I’m sure Purdue has signed some grad transfers. Based on our academic programs.

I don’t believe playing time is as big a recruiting tool as it used to be. If an athlete is good they kind of expect to play. Or start upon arrival. Look at Card. He didn’t come to Purdue to be a backup and he wasn’t afraid of beating out the competition. I can Vandy being a nice place to go if you are a grad student and realize your playing days will be over once your eligibility is used up. Nashville is a nice town and Vandy offers a good education. I’m sure Purdue has signed some grad transfers. Based on our academic programs.
I would argue it the other way. With the big programs buying 1 year rental quarterbacks every year, I think future highly rated QBs may go to other programs to start early and get more playing time and tape. Once the QB has good film, they may transfer to a bigger program. Instead of sitting a couple years behind a starter and get leaped by a 1 year rental QB. Case in point the USC QB situation.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I would argue it the other way. With the big programs buying 1 year rental quarterbacks every year, I think future highly rated QBs may go to other programs to start early and get more playing time and tape. Once the QB has good film, they may transfer to a bigger program. Instead of sitting a couple years behind a starter and get leaped by a 1 year rental QB. Case in point the USC QB situation.
Like the kid who just committed to indiana?

Do we really have a #1 option at WR now?

I was expecting a big pickup or two in the portal at WR, and it really did not materialize, at least not yet.

• Sad
Reactions: z_one
Yes for sure but I don’t think portal kids think that way these days unless they are really serious about school…Khordae Sydnor is a sophomore and he is the player transfering to Vandy so he’s not even getting his Purdue degree before leaving. Granted Vandy’s academics are top notch but out of the 22 portal guys I believe only 10 of them got their Purdue degree!
Sydnor, Is a head scratcher for me...He got PT in 2022. Stayed with Purdue and was backing up and rotating in 2023.....

Sydnor, Is a head scratcher for me...He got PT in 2022. Stayed with Purdue and was backing up and rotating in 2023.....
Playing out of position here IMO. Too big and slow for the OLB slots and not the type of guy Walters wants there.

I think he should have played more at the down DE position though. Oh well…

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Playing out of position here IMO. Too big and slow for the OLB slots and not the type of guy Walters wants there.

I think he should have played more at the down DE position though. Oh well…
Totally agree. Pretty good guess as to why he left.

On another note, do you think we could potentially be better without Scourton provided one of the new OLBs provides more speed especially in coverage? It looks like Walters ideal OLB is probably someone more in the Derick Barnes mold. Im trying to convince myself that losing Scourton may not be a total loss.

On another note, do you think we could potentially be better without Scourton provided one of the new OLBs provides more speed especially in coverage? It looks like Walters ideal OLB is probably someone more in the Derick Barnes mold. Im trying to convince myself that losing Scourton may not be a total loss.
It is next man up. We have to trust that C Walters and C Dineen will develop and produce a strong OLB room. Madden and Jenkins would be a lethal OLB duo. Madden is a bit smaller than Scourton, but might play the position better.

I have heard that Jenkins wants to move to Inside LB to help his draft stock. Show NFL teams that he is versatile LB. If so, someone else will need to step up and fill the other side.

Like Burks, Scourton and Jenkins had a big jump in their production from previous season. I am sure C Walters would like to keep Scourton, but grab the next man and develop them.

It is next man up. We have to trust that C Walters and C Dineen will develop and produce a strong OLB room. Madden and Jenkins would be a lethal OLB duo. Madden is a bit smaller than Scourton, but might play the position better.

I have heard that Jenkins wants to move to Inside LB to help his draft stock. Show NFL teams that he is versatile LB. If so, someone else will need to step up and fill the other side.

Like Burks, Scourton and Jenkins had a big jump in their production from previous season. I am sure C Walters would like to keep Scourton, but grab the next man and develop them.
Heldt looked really good for a true freshman.

Reactions: Kocher101

Interesting about Jenkins. I was thinking he may be a better fit in the middle before last season given our personnel. I believe he played inside backer in high school.

I’m telling myself that we are net positive from the portal. Lost a total stud, but maybe added 4-5 competent starters.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Scheme or coaching? (I'll also accept development, i.e. one year bigger, one year stronger)
Does it matter? Probably all of above.

1 year under C Walters, players have gotten stronger from their strength coach. Burks, Mockabee, Tracy looked like a completely different player, body size and fitness wise. They are taking the Michigan strength coach approach. Turn 3* into 4*, 4* into 5*.
C Walters said his focus is player development from strong recruiting classes instead of plug and play.

The scheme is aggressive, designed for OLB to inflict hurt to the opposing QBs.

Scourton went from 15 tackles, 2 sacks to 33 tackles and 10 sacks.

2023, this defense was still in the oven, not fully cooked. 2024, (to be fair) give C Walters a full recruiting class and transfer class cycle for us to see what this defense is supposed to look like fully cooked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT