ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. Southern THREAD

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Game day thread for Purdue’s home game against Southern at 4 pm today.

What are you guys looking for in Mackey?

Game day thread for Purdue’s home game against Southern at 4 pm today.

What are you guys looking for in Mackey?
I'm just looking for a solid all around performance. Single digit turnovers, winning the boards and shooting a nice percentage. It would be nice to get a lead so all the Freshmen and newcomers get plenty of minutes.

Change to the starting lineup: Mary Ashley Stevenson in, Jayla Smith now coming off the bench.

I believe we will have a pretty easy time of it, winning by at least 12 and probably in the 20s. Not much to see in these types of games and its difficult to really get anything positive or negative from them as far as team development because even playing sloppy ball we should win big. Things I will be looking at are Assists, Turnovers, Rebounding and are the shots coming in the flow of the offense or from too much one on one play.

End of first quarter 14-12 Purdue. Madison came to play, but she is 10 of the 14 points we have scored. Terry went to the bench and the offense just stopped. Jones still playing out of control and Smith has not played yet, behind McKenna and Jones off the bench apparently this game.

HALF: #Purdue 25, Southern 19.

Boilers struggling offensively in the first half, shooting 27% and having seven turnovers.

Reactions: MichaelRR
25-19 at the half, if not for Madison's 15 we would be getting blown out. Our offense is sloppy and haphazard so far, really disappointed in this half of this outing. Monson got some minutes, Smith did not in the first half. Reynolds got a couple of minutes and picked up a foul.

Reactions: DocRon
25-19 at the half, if not for Madison's 15 we would be getting blown out. Our offense is sloppy and haphazard so far, really disappointed in this half of this outing. Monson got some minutes, Smith did not in the first half. Reynolds got a couple of minutes and picked up a foul.
Do you think Smith is ill/injured? (I don’t know if you are there in person or not.) Can’t believe she has not seen the floor yet?

Do you think Smith is ill/injured? (I don’t know if you are there in person or not.) Can’t believe she has not seen the floor yet?
Just listening and missed the first few minutes of the game. So they may have said something there, but nothing has been said so far. McKenna got lots of minutes, Jones seemed to have hers more limited, going back to the bench after making mistakes.

Just listening and missed the first few minutes of the game. So they may have said something there, but nothing has been said so far. McKenna got lots of minutes, Jones seemed to have hers more limited, going back to the bench after making mistakes.
Tim and Jane said they expected Jayla to be the first off the bench, Jane said “I hope that doesn’t cause any problems.“ I saw Jayla doing warmups (I think) and she looked fine and was smiling. Go figure.

Purdue 55- 38. Third quarter the ball started moving around the offense better. Jones has a lot of athleticism, but she has not at all adjusted to the college game as she keeps making passes that are easy for Southern to pick off, things you can assume she got away with in HS that just won't float at this level. Madison has 21 and Ellis has 11. Jones has 4 points, but off 1-7 shooting and 1-2 from the line. Jones has our only bench points. This is not a very positive game for the home team so far. Other teams are not going to let Madison shoot uncontested the way Southern did the first half.

59-47 early in the 4th, Southern is pressing and its causing even more turnovers. Madison on the bench with 4 fouls and this game is not safely put away by any means.

So far Jayla and Terry haven’t given much, really early but they need to step up, I think they will but so far not much from them.

So far Jayla and Terry haven’t given much, really early but they need to step up, I think they will but so far not much from them.
Jayla is not playing in this game, don't know why. Reynolds and Monson only got a couple of minutes each in the first half, Alaina got a couple of minutes in the second, but the rotation has been Madison, Ellis, Harper, Stevenson, Terry with McKenna and Jones off the bench for any amount of time. McKenna has done a lot of good, but not scored, Jones has scored, but only has 4 points off 8 shots and 2 fts and has 4 TOs to 1 A. Final 67-50 Purdue, but this effort won't beat any Power 5 conference team, and that is disappointing indeed.

Jayla is not playing in this game, don't know why. Reynolds and Monson only got a couple of minutes each in the first half, Alaina got a couple of minutes in the second, but the rotation has been Madison, Ellis, Harper, Stevenson, Terry with McKenna and Jones off the bench for any amount of time. McKenna has done a lot of good, but not scored, Jones has scored, but only has 4 points off 8 shots and 2 fts and has 4 TOs to 1 A. Final 67-50 Purdue, but this effort won't beat any Power 5 conference team, and that is disappointing indeed.
Thanks, good write up/much appreciated! I think they’ll be ok but a few girls need to step up. A buddy who knows all about the Reynolds sisters told me exactly the same thing about the oldest sister, he said it seems like she’s burned out on hoops, someone mentioned that here, hopefully, she’s not, it does happen though.

Tim interviewed KG post-game and did not have the nerve (or permission?) to ask why Jayla Smith did not play. A pretty glaring omission in the interview. They certainly could have used her. At times we had 3 fresh playing against Southern’s good press.

Tim interviewed KG post-game and did not have the nerve (or permission?) to ask why Jayla Smith did not play. A pretty glaring omission in the interview. They certainly could have used her. At times we had 3 fresh playing against Southern’s good press.

Reactions: DocRon
I got this quote from Mike Carmin’s Substack column that apparently was given post-game:

“She’s nursing an ankle,” coach Katie Gearlds said about Smith. “I think she’s tried to practice a couple of times this week. I don’t think it would’ve mattered who we were playing, I think today would’ve been a very tough game for her.”

Took advantage of a sunny, nice day in southern Indiana and played golf this afternoon, so I didn’t follow this or the VB match. Appreciate the thread and all the comments.
Really glad to hear Madison had a good outing, but sounds like the rest of the returnees are rusty as heck!
Kinda disappointing b/c they are veterans, playing at home in Mackey, with the 1999 team In attendance - I mean, WTH?? I know it’s way early in the season, but reading this thread gives me vibes like the FB team’s season performance (before yesterday). Lotta early positive hype, hope, plus new highly touted additions - and then the ugly loss at UCLA and this sorta lackluster win.

Hopefully Ellis and JT (and Harper) find their groove and Madison stays at today’s level. Thanks again for the comments

Took advantage of a sunny, nice day in southern Indiana and played golf this afternoon, so I didn’t follow this or the VB match. Appreciate the thread and all the comments.
Really glad to hear Madison had a good outing, but sounds like the rest of the returnees are rusty as heck!
Kinda disappointing b/c they are veterans, playing at home in Mackey, with the 1999 team In attendance - I mean, WTH?? I know it’s way early in the season, but reading this thread gives me vibes like the FB team’s season performance (before yesterday). Lotta early positive hype, hope, plus new highly touted additions - and then the ugly loss at UCLA and this sorta lackluster win.

Hopefully Ellis and JT (and Harper) find their groove and Madison stays at today’s level. Thanks again for the comments
Off topic, but what course did you play?!

Agree, was at the game...some times you play at the level of your opponent...hopefully we see improvement the next game ....

End of first quarter 14-12 Purdue. Madison came to play, but she is 10 of the 14 points we have scored. Terry went to the bench and the offense just stopped. Jones still playing out of control and Smith has not played yet, behind McKenna and Jones off the bench apparently this game.
Don’t understand not utilizing Smith. Hope we don’t lose her. She deserves minutes. So athletic. Great to see MA rewarded for her performances so far but to sit Smith? I’m concerned she will transfer. She works hard but CKG again, isn’t great at managing personnel. I mean putting those 2 freshmen in BEFORE her. Come on.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Don’t understand not utilizing Smith. Hope we don’t lose her. She deserves minutes. So athletic. Great to see MA rewarded for her performances so far but to sit Smith? I’m concerned she will transfer. She works hard but CKG again, isn’t great at managing personnel. I mean putting those 2 freshmen in BEFORE her. Come on.
Smith has an ankle injury.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Not glad she is injured but good to know why her minutes are limited. Again, a Miss Basketball for the state of Indiana, so let’s hope she is utilized more than she has been so far. Thank you for the info.
Smith has to learn to play hard and consistently or she may stay on the bench. HS accolades don't guarantee success in college if you don't adapt your game to the next level.

Reactions: HoopDad317

Just saw the highlights, all of Madison's made shots were WIDE open, she didn't shoot when there was a player on her. That does not bode well for this result carrying over very well. I suspect she'll be like Hardin last year, knock down a couple of threes a game and take up space the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Smith has to learn to play hard and consistently or she may stay on the bench. HS accolades don't guarantee success in college if you don't adapt your game to the next level.
I would agree as HS success/rankings don’t always equate to college success. I only mention Miss Basketball for Smith, as she was deemed the best player in the best state for basketball, so she does have skill and athleticism. Adaptation to your role comes with the coach also clarifying that for you and the way she is utilized, seems very erratic. You mention playing hard and consistently. Couldn’t agree more. But this has to be true for ALL players in CKG’s program. CKG has put herself in a delicate position with wanting to be friends with her players. She played players last year who didn’t play hard or consistently and yet got the nod. So in theory I agree with you, just not so sure CKG has the accountability she needs with her players.

Maybe just maybe KG knows more about the health of her players and in result will make the decisions on how best to get them healthy. Ankle injuries can be nagging and she has been dealing with this for the last week or so. A possible reason she had a terrible game against UCLA. We need her healthy asap - so rest her for the Southern game - a team we should and did beat. We will need her close to 100% for TAMU Thursday as it will be a tough game.

The one thing we know about KG is she will not voluntarily discuss the health of players - this should’ve been clear the way she dealt with the Kyle foot injury her. She almost seemed surprised when someone asked why one of our most important veterans didn’t play at all during the press conference. Which is pretty odd.

But I will give. KG credit with this - she doesn’t use injuries as an excuse when we lose games - something she easily could’ve done post ucla with Smith’s situation.

Last edited:
Maybe just maybe KG knows more about the health of her players and in result will make the decisions on how best to get them healthy. Ankle injuries can be nagging and she has been dealing with this for the last week or so. A possible reason she had a terrible game against UCLA. We need her healthy asap - so rest her for the Southern game - a team we should and did beat. We will need her close to 100% for TAMU Thursday as it will be a tough game.

The one thing we know about KG is she will not voluntarily discuss the health of players - this should’ve been clear the way she dealt with the Kyle foot injury her. She almost seemed surprised when someone asked why one of our most important veterans didn’t play at all during the press conference. Which is pretty odd.

But I will give. KG credit with this - she doesn’t use injuries as an excuse when we lose games - something she easily could’ve done post ucla with Smith’s situation.
That's making a wild assumption that A) Smith was hurt before the UCLA game and B) CKG WILLINGLY played her injured knowing it could significantly harm her permanently. I suspect Smith may have turned the ankle slightly in the second half of UCLA at the earliest and by then it was SO clear we were outclassed and getting routed off the floor in embarrassing fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
My take and Michael and Hoopsdad will jump on me for this maybe but dont think Smith is a good college player. She is a great athlete and can do great things individually with the ball in her hands but doesnt play contribute much in a team system and is poor on defense.

Ate lunch with a friend who was on the J. Purdue Club visit to Los Angeles and he said the staff got on smith during the practice after she errored right after the coaches told her what to do several times.

Michael is right. HS awards don't mean much especially one from three years ago when the state was on lock down.

My take and Michael and Hoopsdad will jump on me for this maybe but dont think Smith is a good college player. She is a great athlete and can do great things individually with the ball in her hands but doesnt play contribute much in a team system and is poor on defense.

Ate lunch with a friend who was on the J. Purdue Club visit to Los Angeles and he said the staff got on smith during the practice after she errored right after the coaches told her what to do several times.

Michael is right. HS awards don't mean much especially one from three years ago when the state was on lock down.
I'm waiting three more games to see how they all play against P5 opponents before calling for a youth movement and some upper classmen to step aside, but I haven't seen anything from Smith in 2+ years that would convince me that you are wrong at this point about her.

Reactions: BoilerRingside

Nah…. I don’t jump on people. I like being able to discuss topics and players. That’s kind of what the blog is supposed to be about. I respect your not a fan of Smith. I’m not a fan of a couple kids. It’s allowed. I believe I stated too, that HS accolades don’t always transfer to college. I don’t think she’s been used well nor do I feel the state of Indiana got it wrong with her. Would agree that if she isn’t doing what she needs to in practice, then could be why she isn’t utilized more consistently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT