Projected Starters:

Purdue

1/2 #3 Carsen Edwards 6'0 190 So.

1/2 #11 P.J. Thompson 5'10 180 Sr.

2/1 #31 Dakota Mathias 6'4 195 Sr.

3/4 #12 Vince Edwards 6'8 215 Sr.

5/4 #32 Matt Haarms 7'3 235 RS Fr.

Texas Tech

1/2 #12 Keenan Evans 6'3 190 Sr.: averaging 17.8 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 1.1 SPG, 3.2 APG, 48% FG's (188-390), 81% FT's (182-224), 33% 3PT's (47-143), and 29.3 MPG in 34 GP

2 #23 Jarrett Culver 6'5 190 Fr.: averaging 11.5 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 47% FG's (140-301), 64% FT's (68-106), 40% 3PT's (54-136), and 26.5 MPG in 35 GP

2/3 #2 Zhaire Smith 6'5 195 Fr.: averaging 11.3 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 1.1 BPG, 1.1 SPG, 57% FG's (147-260), 72% FT's (87-121), 44% 3PT's (16-36), and 28.5 MPG in 35 GP

3 #5 Justin Gray 6'6 210 Sr.: averaging 4.9 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 45% FG's (60-133), 79% FT's (42-53), 26% 3PT's (6-23), and 21.1 MPG in 34 GP

5/4 #32 Norense Odiase 6'9 245 RS Jr.: averaging 3.9 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 2.6 FPG, 52% FG's (49-94), 59% FT's (38-64), no 3PT's attempted, and 15.1 MPG in 35 GP

Projected Reinforcements:

Purdue

1 #20 Nojel Eastern 6'6 210 Fr.

2 #14 Ryan Cline 6'5 190 Jr.

4 #24 Grady Eifert 6'7 220 Jr.

5/4 #23 Jacquil Taylor 6'10 240 RS Jr.

Texas Tech

1/2 #25 Davide Moretti 6'3 165 Fr.: averaging 3.3 PPG, 0.8 RPG, 32% FG's (35-109), 83% FT's (20-24), 31% 3PT's (24-78), and 12.2 MPG in 35 GP

1/2 #10 Niem Stevenson 6'5 205 Sr.: averaging 7.4 PPG, 3 RPG, 39% FG's (87-222), 68% FT's (55-81), 40% 3PT's (31-78), and 20.4 MPG in 35 GP

2/3 #1 Brandone Francis 6'5 205 RS So. (transfer from Florida): averaging 5.2 PPG, 2 RPG, 45% FG's (70-155), 44% FT's (11-25), 39% 3PT's (32-82), and 15.5 MPG in 35 GP

4/5 #11 Zach Smith 6'8 220 Sr.: averaging 6 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 1 BPG, 58% FG's (54-93), 44% FT's (18-41), 25% 3PT's (1-4), and 20.5 MPG in 21 GP

5/4 #0 Tommy Hamilton 6'11 250 RS Sr. (transfer from DePaul): averaging 5.6 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 42% FG's (74-178), 56% FT's (18-32), 39% 3PT's (29-75), and 14.5 MPG in 35 GP

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I've only watched them play twice, takeaways are their incredibly good defensive team. Good length and athletic, I don't know off hand who I would compare them to as I don't think we've played a team similar to other than Michigan.

Reactions: nagemj02
I've only watched them play twice, takeaways are their incredibly good defensive team. Good length and athletic, I don't know off hand who I would compare them to as I don't think we've played a team similar to other than Michigan.
I admit I haven't seen them...but VERY little adn not sure they have the shooters to space that Michigan has. Very athletic and Evans has a quick step and why giving a bit of ground and having length to contend in the trees and not letting him blow by "may" be important...right Nojel?

Texas Tech hangs its hat on defense. Statistically, TT is 6th in defensive efficiency while Purdue is 15th. I would say with Haarms in the game, Purdue’s defensive efficiency will be even better.

On the other side, Purdue is 5th in offensive efficiency, while Texas Tech is 84th. I get Purdue is probably not as efficient with Haas being out. So that could obviously be a challenge.

This should be a very good game. If Purdue is shooting well, I expect them to win. If they shoot below 40%, forget it. They’ll need to move the ball sharply to effectively counter TT’s athletes. I would hope we can get some good back door cuts against their aggressive man to man. Hopefully, Haarms can be more aggressive in the post as well.

Reactions: Roeder and nagemj02

They have a lot of depth, going 10 deep.

Texas Tech hangs its hat on defense. Statistically, TT is 6th in defensive efficiency while Purdue is 15th. I would say with Haarms in the game, Purdue’s defensive efficiency will be even better.

On the other side, Purdue is 5th in offensive efficiency, while Texas Tech is 84th. I get Purdue is probably not as efficient with Haas being out. So that could obviously be a challenge.

This should be a very good game. If Purdue is shooting well, I expect them to win. If they shoot below 40%, forget it. They’ll need to move the ball sharply to effectively counter TT’s athletes. I would hope we can get some good back door cuts against their aggressive man to man. Hopefully, Haarms can be more aggressive in the post as well.

40% overall or 3P%?

I'm going to say if we hit 10 or more 3's we win the game. TT is a pretty poor shooting team and rely on getting to the basket and free throw line (though they shoot a poor percentage). It helps that we play defense without fouling as good as anybody in the country

Reactions: Purdue11
This isn't something new. I've listed him at 6'7 all season long.

6'6" on the G&B roster......and I am not sure he is that big. Probably just relatively looks small next to Haas and Haarms on the same court .

I'm going to say if we hit 10 or more 3's we win the game. TT is a pretty poor shooting team and rely on getting to the basket and free throw line (though they shoot a poor percentage). It helps that we play defense without fouling as good as anybody in the country

Also I'd say as a general rule, any time Vince Edwards plays well, Purdue wins. It helps when Thompson, Mathias, and Cline are scoring at a respectable rate.

Reactions: Roeder

I think you're greatly underestimating Texas Tech.

Florida averaged over 9 3 point FGs a game on the season, making 37%.

Against Texas Tech, they made 6 and shot 27%. 20 of their 22 attempts were contested.

So yeah, I guess if we hit 10 3s we'll be in good shape - but talk about easier said than done.

Reactions: Boilerupone

Against Texas Tech, they made 6 and shot 27%. 20 of their 22 attempts were contested.

So yeah, I guess if we hit 10 3s we'll be in good shape - but talk about easier said than done.
So their first 20 threes were contested? Because those last two they missed were wide open looks.

Florida was a notoriously inconsistent team.

TT does look very deep though. Mostly 6'5 guys. Need the bigs to rebound and hope vince can use his size to finish at the rim.
I was real nervous but I think purdue can compete with them after looking deeper. They've played athletic teams, need to show they've grown

They are a very athletic team and they scare me. This will be a very hard matchup for Purdue. I hope Tech has an off night.

They are a very athletic team and they scare me.
It's the S16 how can anyone not scare you? Hell if UMBC won that (easily) winnable game the other night they'd be scary to face in this round.

TT is an athletic poorly shooting team. It's about the best we could hope for in this round. We're not getting Lipscomb from here on out.

Florida was a notoriously inconsistent team.

TT does look very deep though. Mostly 6'5 guys. Need the bigs to rebound and hope vince can use his size to finish at the rim.
I was real nervous but I think purdue can compete with them after looking deeper. They've played athletic teams, need to show they've grown

I wouldn't say we have been terribly consistent either.

This is going to be a tough game (it is the sweet sixteen after all). They're athletic, experienced, and have an elite defense that allows them to be competitive in every game. Honestly, they are probably even better than their record indicates and would've likely won the Big XII had they not had two key injuries lasting a good chunk of the season. They were mauling teams early on, including that convincing win at Kansas.

But, their main weakness is going long stretches without scoring and looking lost at times without Keenan Evans on the floor. They kinda remind of those rugged SDSU teams from a few years ago.

Rutgers is a good comparison off the top of my head...but more experienced.

I would say similar to Minnesota had they not lost Lynch and a few other guys to injury...athletic, can play defense, and have a guard or two who are more athletic than anything but can fill it up if they get hot.

Wow, really? How many games did we lose by more than 5 points in regulation?

It was simply about 3 point shooting. Follow the thread - I made a post about Texas Tech's 3 point defense, using Florida as an example. Then someone replied to my post saying Florida is an inconsistent team (which I'd imagine is relating to 3 point shooting).

This is our 3 point shooting from every game since February 1. That's what I'm calling inconsistent. I wouldn't call these numbers consistent, would you? There's a 25%+ point swing multiple times.

3P %

It was simply about 3 point shooting. Follow the thread - I made a post about Texas Tech's 3 point defense, using Florida as an example. Then someone replied to my post saying Florida is an inconsistent team (which I'd imagine is relating to 3 point shooting).

This is our 3 point shooting from every game since February 1. That's what I'm calling inconsistent. I wouldn't call these numbers consistent, would you? There's a 25%+ point swing multiple times.

3P %
The eye test tells me that Purdue has more difficulty in the three ball when the perimeter is actually guarded. We all know this or should. I believe it helps a lot in this game if Haarms contributes more scoring and demands a "bit" of attention as that time..that extra step on help, may be enough. That said..timing of screens, setting up screens and cutting correctly will help with the shooting as well as the proper delivery of the ball. However, it is not as though TT doesn't preach the same things and used to defending against motions or offense away from the ball. It would be wonderful if Purdue could come out blazing and stay that way...we all wish for that...but it is unlikely.

When we start to use "data" gather from the season we cannot or should not forget that the data is the totality of the teams...some zone, some not, some pressure, some not...some double...some not, some press or trap...some not...not only for ALL the teams Purdue plays...but the comparison to all the similar data gathered by the opposing team as well...with nothing to indicate if a shift takes place early in the season to later in the season. Quite simply...the data has some "general" things that MAY be very applicable to this match-up and MAY NOT. Consistency can be difficult to understand with all the previous and becomes more difficult with discrete data. With smaller sample size per game each miss carries a different final result. If a team shoots 9 shots each shot fluctuates 11% where as if a team shoots 25 each shot fluctuates 4%. If a team goes 2/9 due to the defense, illness, wrong shots or just missing it ends with 22% whereas a team going for 13/25 shows a result with a huge spread between those games.

I agree with you that Purdue is less consistent that a couple of months ago. I attribute that to being a bit tired, sick and better D while losing focus on the little things that help the O get better shots..but not sure percentages without further info on those percentages give the whole picture.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
It's the S16 how can anyone not scare you? Hell if UMBC won that (easily) winnable game the other night they'd be scary to face in this round.

TT is an athletic poorly shooting team. It's about the best we could hope for in this round. We're not getting Lipscomb from here on out.
I guess Tech just seems like a tough matchup for Purdue after watching them play a few times. I would rather have a different opponent than Tech. If Purdue can win this game, I will feel more confident in the next opponent than Tech.

Reactions: tjreese

Oh it was a total oversimplification by me. I've watched Tech a handful of times this season and when they've played well, their brand of basketball has been extremely entertaining and tough to beat.

The eye test tells me that Purdue has more difficulty in the three ball when the perimeter is actually guarded. We all know this or should. I believe it helps a lot in this game if Haarms contributes more scoring and demands a "bit" of attention as that time..that extra step on help, may be enough. That said..timing of screens, setting up screens and cutting correctly will help with the shooting as well as the proper delivery of the ball. However, it is not as though TT doesn't preach the same things and used to defending against motions or offense away from the ball. It would be wonderful if Purdue could come out blazing and stay that way...we all wish for that...but it is unlikely.

When we start to use "data" gather from the season we cannot or should not forget that the data is the totality of the teams...some zone, some not, some pressure, some not...some double...some not, some press or trap...some not...not only for ALL the teams Purdue plays...but the comparison to all the similar data gathered by the opposing team as well...with nothing to indicate if a shift takes place early in the season to later in the season. Quite simply...the data has some "general" things that MAY be very applicable to this match-up and MAY NOT. Consistency can be difficult to understand with all the previous and becomes more difficult with discrete data. With smaller sample size per game each miss carries a different final result. If a team shoots 9 shots each shot fluctuates 11% where as if a team shoots 25 each shot fluctuates 4%. If a team goes 2/9 due to the defense, illness, wrong shots or just missing it ends with 22% whereas a team going for 13/25 shows a result with a huge spread between those games.

I agree with you that Purdue is less consistent that a couple of months ago. I attribute that to being a bit tired, sick and better D while losing focus on the little things that help the O get better shots..but not sure percentages without further info on those percentages give the whole picture.
I wonder if Purdue would try a 4 out 1 in with VE in the post, would open things up for the shooters. If they double team him, he can pass back out of it like Haas does or hit a cutting Haarms. VE is likely to be guarded by a player he has some size on and could have some room to roam in the paint if Haarms can drag his defender out to the perimeter. Haarms may have to prove he can hit a couple of mid range shots to do that though.

I guess Tech just seems like a tough matchup for Purdue after watching them play a few times. I would rather have a different opponent than Tech. If Purdue can win this game, I will feel more confident in the next opponent than Tech.

I mean obviously in the Sweet 16, it's a tough matchup regardless. This is a game that can go very well in Purdue's favor or rather poorly. Purdue's D will have to be on point and we can't afford a sloppy game. No hero ball either.

I wonder if Purdue would try a 4 out 1 in with VE in the post, would open things up for the shooters. If they double team him, he can pass back out of it like Haas does or hit a cutting Haarms. VE is likely to be guarded by a player he has some size on and could have some room to roam in the paint if Haarms can drag his defender out to the perimeter. Haarms may have to prove he can hit a couple of mid range shots to do that though.
Well, Purdue is pretty close to that all the time when Haas is not playing. The physical attribute that limits the effectiveness of spreading the court...once the D extends out is the "slowness" outside Carsen and somewhat Vince to drive the ball quick enough that you don't have help D covering you before you get to the rim. Driving the ball for Purdue is limited somewhat due to players, but possible to get a floater or mid range jumper as something in between the arc and the rim

He noticeably looks taller than Mathias in person. He's a very solid 6'6" is my guess, maybe a bit more.
Is Dakota between 6'3 and 6'4"...doesn't seem as tall as 6'4" to me...not that any of this matters

If I were to pick the path for Purdue, I would have rather seen Florida than Texas Tech. Moving forward I would prefer WVU. Then coming out of the other side I would say Syracuse. Purdue will matchup better against teams that aren't "great shooting team". Between Kansas or Duke I would take Duke.

Losing Haas hurts but he is such a leader on the bench and a great teammate, I think he can rally the troops. Purdue struggles when they can't knock down open looks. This doesn't change with or without Haas. Got to be locked in on defense and hit open shots. If Purdue comes out flat, Texas Tech wins. If Purdue comes out hot, Texas Tech will have to play really well to beat them.

Upside: Vince looks healthy and had a great game. If Carsen or Dakota can have a dominant game as well, I like Purdue's chances.

All this waiting is driving me crazy and of course we get the last game of the round. Punch Texas Tech in the mouth early and alleviate all my built up anxiety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT