ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Minnesota THREAD

As an old girls coach, there is no reason your point guard can't be a scorer. I coached several and they were my leading scorers and assist leaders as well. I'll admit I'm an Ellis fan. Not sure she can't do some of what Smith does for the men. But again, I defer to what goes on in practice and what coach sees. I will also admit it is hard to just be a fan when you've been a coach.
Big Ellis fan here. She brings energy every single game. She’s also in great shape. I would bet she grows frustrated by others not being able to play at game speed all the time and no one wanting to match her energy. We’re fortunate she chose to stick around. She’s a spark for sure. Think she will do whatever CKG needs her to. Not sure how much direction she actually gets as CKG often appears to just want to “will her team” to a victory. I wonder how her game would have been if she would have had Komara instructing her all 5 years.

Reactions: ffangus
agree to disagree. You can definitely overcoach players and if you are in their ear in shootaround, they aren't getting in the right mindset for the game, they are in practice mode. Look at Knight's later years teams how tight they always were because he was using that "every opportunity is a coaching opportunity" kind of mindset and his players were always in practice mode expecting to be yelled at for every little mistake and thus played tight and got worse as the season progressed as the "constant coaching" wore them down.
We will agree to disagree on this. You actually believe that if a coach is instructing a player during a shoot around, that that inhibits their ability to be in the right mindset for the game? You call that overcoaching? So I assume CKG should stay out of their ear during a game as well, so they can stay in the right mindset? An accomplished coach never misses an opportunity to prepare their team. Also, I would never compare CKG to Bob Knight or to any other high level college coach. It’s great to cheer her on blindly but there are some of us who actually want her to be able to coach and lead. The reality is she’s currently struggling to do both.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT