ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Minnesota THREAD

1:30 ;eft in first quarter tied at 7. Purdue shooting 30% for game so far. UMinn half that but hitting the boards hard, getting 6 ORBs already to make up for their glacial shooting. Purdue has 3 TOs to UMinns 0.

4:47 left in first half and Braun is going off now on offense. UMinn 21 Purdue 13. We have 8 TOs to UMinn's 1. UMinn has 9 ORBs to make up for their pathetic shooting, but it is starting to warm up for them finally.

At the half its 25-18 UMinn. We have turned it over 10 times to Goldie's 3 and they have 28 total rebounds with 12 offensive to our 24 boards with 4 offensive. Harper, Stevenson and Ellis our only scorers at 8-6 and 4. MA has jacked up 5 three's hitting only one and UMinn seems happy to keep giving her that shot all day long.

At the half its 25-18 UMinn. We have turned it over 10 times to Goldie's 3 and they have 28 total rebounds with 12 offensive to our 24 boards with 4 offensive. Harper, Stevenson and Ellis our only scorers at 8-6 and 4. MA has jacked up 5 three's hitting only one and UMinn seems happy to keep giving her that shot all day long.
Purdue’s offense is offensive. Time for some athletes to be brought in and some older players to move on. Not being mean but this brand of basketball is brutal to watch. Hopefully, they can pull it out though.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Purdue’s offense is offensive. Time for some athletes to be brought in and some older players to move on. Not being mean but this brand of basketball is brutal to watch. Hopefully, they can pull it out though.
The younger players got minutes, they just cannot produce half as well as the veterans at this point.

Stevenson 2-10,
Smith 0-5
Mila 0-2
Alaina once again no shots in her minutes.
Jones out for concussion protocol and McKenna, Sophie and Emily have not played.

Last edited:
3:33 left in the third, Purdue has come out hot and has turned a 7 point half time deficit to a 5 point lead, Timeout UMinn.

Reactions: tjreese
Purdue 43- UMinn 38 Terry through up a desperation 3 just before the buzzer and hit it..... We had 0 TOs in that quarter and finally limited UMinn to one shot almost every trip that quarter. Madison 16 points in the third quarter Terry with 7 and Ellis with 2 were our only scorers that quarter.

6-0 run for UMinn to start he 4th up 44-43 Purdue. Alaina went in and UMinn went right at her with Hart for 2 easy baskets. Meanwhile we turned it over twice in the quarter already.

Tied with 20+ seconds and Purdue ball Madison throws a lazy pass that is picked off and Terry commits a stupid foul so that UMinn win it at the line with 2.5 seconds left.... One last Turnover on Purdue on the inbound to end the game.

The transition of the program will begin next year when Geralds will have mostly players she wanted. The players we are counting on right now are more experienced but are not consistent and will often make fatal mistakes when they should be making sound plays. But this isn't unusual in women's BB as 98 % of the players aren't very good players. There are o oh a special few who continually and consistently play great ball.

I believe this team will get much better when Geralds just lets the newer players have a lot more playing time, but the problem with this strategy is that she will lose more games because if it for a few months. Hopefully better times are on the way

The transition of the program will begin next year when Geralds will have mostly players she wanted. The players we are counting on right now are more experienced but are not consistent and will often make fatal mistakes when they should be making sound plays. But this isn't unusual in women's BB as 98 % of the players aren't very good players. There are o oh a special few who continually and consistently play great ball.

I believe this team will get much better when Geralds just lets the newer players have a lot more playing time, but the problem with this strategy is that she will lose more games because if it for a few months. Hopefully better times are on the way

So far other than Jones and Stevenson, the other 6 newcomers have shown virtually nothing in the time they have gotten against all but the softest of cupcakes. The reality is right now we have 5 players that are Big Ten caliber. Six when Jones is playing again. Anyone else who has played in one of the tough games has just been taking up space on offense. I have some hope for Swanson assuming she is still recovering and not in game shape.... but Alaina, KcKenna, Emily, and Mila are not ready to help us win games in Big Ten play at this time. Maybe Mila is really hobbled, in which case she shouldn't be playing at all, but when she was out there today, Hart posted her deep called for the ball and shot easy layups over her. Mila was like not having a defender on Hart at all; and Hart did it both times Mila came in followed immediately by Mila going right back out. Smith is awful more often than helpful this season as well.

Reactions: Brya31
Finally got to watch the game. Damn.....what a heartbreaking way to lose. This one is going to sting for a bit.
Agree. I was depressed after watching. It is hard to know how to feel about Jeanae and Madison because without them the game would have not even been close. Tim Newton on radio was beside himself.

And what is going on with Jayla? With Jones out she should have shined. I keep waiting for her to come around but...

Last edited:
Agree. I was depressed after watching. It is hard to know how to feel about Jeanae and Madison because without them the game would have not even been close. Tim Newton on radio was beside himself.

And what is going on with Jayla? With Jones out she should have shined. I keep waiting for her to come around but...
Both Madison's short pass and Terry's bad foul are the types of plays that happen when players are exhausted. Both played well (as in a lot more than 30 minutes, not that either played a great overall game) over 30 minutes because Smith was awful and Jones unavailable. It's going to be increasingly difficult to finish out games if we don't have some of the freshmen guards step up soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffBoiler
The younger players got minutes, they just cannot produce half as well as the veterans at this point.

Stevenson 2-10,
Smith 0-5
Mila 0-2
Alaina once again no shots in her minutes.
Jones out for concussion protocol and McKenna, Sophie and Emily have not played.
Not disagreeing there, looked like they did play better in the second half but game was lost because of a lousy first half.

Both Madison's short pass and Terry's bad foul are the types of plays that happen when players are exhausted. Both played well over 30 minutes because Smith was awful and Jones unavailable. It's going to be increasingly difficult to finish out games if we don't have some of the freshmen guards step up soon.
I don’t know if I can agree with you about Jeanae’s dumb foul, Michael. That is just not thinking. Shouldn’t happen whether you are tired or not.

It really blows my mind that some of you are really surprised that with our best and really only bench scorer in street clothes it’d be an offensive struggle for a team that already had issues scoring the basketball.

I’m extremely frustrated with this team right now for sure and the way we lost should never happen in a high level basketball game. That awful cross court pass when MA was wide open in the lane for a short jumper. Just awful. That boneheaded foul after. Like WHO was she even trying to throw it to??? TERRY?!? The worst shooter on the team?! The only way to justify those plays is if they are being made by freshmen. But they were made by a 4th year and 5th year senior. Completely unjustifiable. Were they tired? Sure. But that’s just being a high level athlete. This is December it’s not like it’s February after a long and grueling season. These kids should still be fresh. Tiredness is not an excuse.

With that said, Minnesota is vastly improved this year. Whalen really did bring in some really good talent. Last year it was super young talent and they struggled in a league ruled by veterans. It is kind of a shame she didn’t get the opportunity to develop them and reap the rewards of her hard work on the recruiting trail. Their new coach is really good. She’s had success everywhere she’s been and a huge thing she did was keep the young talent that was there.

With that said - it’s pretty obvious that if we had Spider yesterday we would’ve won by a comfortable margin. Again that means nothing because a L is an L at the end of the day. Had we gone in there and gotten blown out or lost by 10-15 I’d be extremely concerned - the fact that we lost by 2 without spider and getting 0 pts from Smith is an encouraging sign.

I really want to know what the issue is with spider. My biggest issue I’ve had since KG arrived is her lack of transparency when it comes with injury issues. To me I think it’s bush league stuff because if Painter did that on the men’s side all hell would break lose. Or even with high profile women’s teams and players. Could you imagine if Clark had an injury and their coach would act like KG does with the media? All hell would break lose.

I don’t know if I can agree with you about Jeanae’s dumb foul, Michael. That is just not thinking. Shouldn’t happen whether you are tired or not.

It really blows my mind that some of you are really surprised that with our best and really only bench scorer in street clothes it’d be an offensive struggle for a team that already had issues scoring the basketball.

I’m extremely frustrated with this team right now for sure and the way we lost should never happen in a high level basketball game. That awful cross court pass when MA was wide open in the lane for a short jumper. Just awful. That boneheaded foul after. Like WHO was she even trying to throw it to??? TERRY?!? The worst shooter on the team?! The only way to justify those plays is if they are being made by freshmen. But they were made by a 4th year and 5th year senior. Completely unjustifiable. Were they tired? Sure. But that’s just being a high level athlete. This is December it’s not like it’s February after a long and grueling season. These kids should still be fresh. Tiredness is not an excuse.

With that said, Minnesota is vastly improved this year. Whalen really did bring in some really good talent. Last year it was super young talent and they struggled in a league ruled by veterans. It is kind of a shame she didn’t get the opportunity to develop them and reap the rewards of her hard work on the recruiting trail. Their new coach is really good. She’s had success everywhere she’s been and a huge thing she did was keep the young talent that was there.

With that said - it’s pretty obvious that if we had Spider yesterday we would’ve won by a comfortable margin. Again that means nothing because a L is an L at the end of the day. Had we gone in there and gotten blown out or lost by 10-15 I’d be extremely concerned - the fact that we lost by 2 without spider and getting 0 pts from Smith is an encouraging sign.

I really want to know what the issue is with spider. My biggest issue I’ve had since KG arrived is her lack of transparency when it comes with injury issues. To me I think it’s bush league stuff because if Painter did that on the men’s side all hell would break lose. Or even with high profile women’s teams and players. Could you imagine if Clark had an injury and their coach would act like KG does with the media? All hell would break lose.
From the Exponent article I linked, Jones is in concussion protocol, Mila is nursing an ankle injury.

I do need to give a big shout out to the UMinn message board. It was from there I found the Exponent article in their pregame posts looking into Purdue as their next opponent. In the days I've been lurking there, not one troll attacker acting like they are the only opinion that matters. No braying donkey. No "fake news" truth denying posts, just polite intelligent discussing of the team, the game, and what it might mean for the rest of the season.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Exhaustion can cause mental lapses like that. In three years Terry hasn't had a history of those types of mistakes, or even this season so far.

Very few high level players have a history fouling a player with 3 seconds left when the score is tied and the team is in the double bonus. And it’s for a reason.

sure - for someone who doesn’t make any excuse for any player doing something wrong- when it doesn’t fit your agenda. - Let’s assume they were tired from the minutes they were forced to play. The reason for that is the lack of having spider come off the bench and relieve them. But she is our only depth piece that can play point. So had she not been in there for pretty much the whole game we would’ve gotten blown out relying on Monson/Swanson/Layden at point. We could’ve played Ellis at point but then who is scoring? The game wouldn’t even has been close if those players - in their current form - were out there.

It’s obvious to anyone watching this team play that we aren’t a deep team. The lack of depth is the reason we have dropped 3 games to P5 teams in the 4th quarter. The 1 reliable depth piece we have is Spider. That’s what makes her current injury so crucial for us. Normally an injury like this doesn’t mean anything in December. But that was before the B10 added these stupid league games because they are collecting league members like baseball cards.

I truly feel bad for today’s freshmen. Not only are they going up against seniors and super seniors and sometimes super super seniors because of Covid. But they also can’t really ease into making the very tough transition from high school to college because thanks to preseason tournaments and now December league games they are being thrown into the fire pretty immediately. Now for some rookies it has been fine but for the ones that need to be developed a little more - primarily post players and wings. It has to be a very tough transition for them. Especially when you have fans that expect them to come in and produce right away against tough and more experienced competition

Last edited:
Tied with 20+ seconds and Purdue ball Madison throws a lazy pass that is picked off and Terry commits a stupid foul so that UMinn win it at the line with 2.5 seconds left.... One last Turnover on Purdue on the inbound to end the game.

Maybe we need to quit working on making half court shots in practice, and instead work on improving our ability to pass. Maybe a station on how to make end of game decisions would be helpful too. Feels like last year’s MD game. If you can’t handle pressure at the end of the game, then CKG needs to put someone else in. It’s that simple.

Maybe we need to quit working on making half court shots in practice, and instead work on improving our ability to pass. Maybe a station on how to make end of game decisions would be helpful too. Feels like last year’s MD game. If you can’t handle pressure at the end of the game, then CKG needs to put someone else in. It’s that simple.
LOL you just won't let it go that the fanfest was not a real practice will you? ;) I'll bet you a house payment that they NEVER work on halfcourt shots in a real practice. And who do you think should have been in at the end of the game if not Terry and Layden?

They screwed up, massively. Whether from fatigue, unable to handle the pressure, or what, they gave that game away. But the ugly truth is we only have 6 Big Ten level players at this time, and one was medically unavailable for the UMinn game. The three bench players that got minutes did nothing to help the team and two of them were abused by Hart down on the blocks as most of her points came against Alaina and Mila in the few minutes they got. I would love to be able to sit out Madison for someone consistent and mentally tougher, likewise I'd love to be able to put a scoring threat at point in place of Terry. Unfortunately we don't have those options on the bench at this time. Will the newcomers other than Jones and Stevenson eventually become contributors? No one knows. The only one I'm really dubious of is Alaina, as I thought she was a waste of a scholarship when she was signed and have seen nothing to make me think she will ever be a competent Big Ten player, but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. ;)

From the Exponent article I linked, Jones is in concussion protocol, Mila is nursing an ankle injury.
LOL you just won't let it go that the fanfest was not a real practice will you? ;) I'll bet you a house payment that they NEVER work on halfcourt shots in a real practice. And who do you think should have been in at the end of the game if not Terry and Layden?

They screwed up, massively. Whether from fatigue, unable to handle the pressure, or what, they gave that game away. But the ugly truth is we only have 6 Big Ten level players at this time, and one was medically unavailable for the UMinn game. The three bench players that got minutes did nothing to help the team and two of them were abused by Hart down on the blocks as most of her points came against Alaina and Mila in the few minutes they got. I would love to be able to sit out Madison for someone consistent and mentally tougher, likewise I'd love to be able to put a scoring threat at point in place of Terry. Unfortunately we don't have those options on the bench at this time. Will the newcomers other than Jones and Stevenson eventually become contributors? No one knows. The only one I'm really dubious of is Alaina, as I thought she was a waste of a scholarship when she was signed and have seen nothing to make me think she will ever be a competent Big Ten player, but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. ;)
Not referring to the scrimmage at all. If you follow them on any social media, they are proud to show that they can shoot stupid half court shots during their gameday shoot arounds. Who does that? Maybe we need attention on passing and fundamentals. Or sessions on mental toughness. Terry shouldn’t have fouled. But she also shouldn’t have ever been in that position either. I’m sure she was just as shocked as to why Madison would be making a weak cross court pass. The young guns would be coming along if CKG spent more time playing them in the non-conference games. Perfect time to get them growth and minutes. Instead, she played starters considerable minutes to get the wins against subpar teams. Agree with you about Harper Jr. CKG acts as if it’s a special and unique position to have 3 sets of sisters. It instead showed how poor of a recruiter she is. Now, if all 3 sisters were just way too good to pass up on, I get it. But they weren’t. There is no room for courtesy offers in the Big Ten. There’s a reason we have 3 sets of sisters and no other team does. It’s not because of their abilities. All of those variables will eventually catch up to us.

Not referring to the scrimmage at all. If you follow them on any social media, they are proud to show that they can shoot stupid half court shots during their gameday shoot arounds. Who does that? Maybe we need attention on passing and fundamentals. Or sessions on mental toughness. Terry shouldn’t have fouled. But she also shouldn’t have ever been in that position either. I’m sure she was just as shocked as to why Madison would be making a weak cross court pass. The young guns would be coming along if CKG spent more time playing them in the non-conference games. Perfect time to get them growth and minutes. Instead, she played starters considerable minutes to get the wins against subpar teams. Agree with you about Harper Jr. CKG acts as if it’s a special and unique position to have 3 sets of sisters. It instead showed how poor of a recruiter she is. Now, if all 3 sisters were just way too good to pass up on, I get it. But they weren’t. There is no room for courtesy offers in the Big Ten. There’s a reason we have 3 sets of sisters and no other team does. It’s not because of their abilities. All of those variables will eventually catch up to us.
Gameday shoot arounds are not practices either, they are for loosening up, not for intensive practice sessions. Bird did that too, are you going to say he did not take practice seriously because he had some fun at a shootaround?

Considering how poorly the "young guns" played in the time they got, I am not sure we would have more than two wins if they had been given the lions share of the minutes. First you secure the win, then you play the end of your bench for development. Most of player development comes from practice, not in games, but there is certainly some things that only in game will teach you. I think CKG has given the young players as much time as they deserved, and in the case of Alaina and McKenna far more than they deserved with their play on the court but she had to have someone take up minutes to rest the starters.

I am more concerned with why our veterans are tired this early in the season only averaging 30 minutes or less a game. It nagged at me when CKG said that at the end of the SeMo game and how she had given them a rest day because of it and just practiced the newcomers. And we looked tired at the end of the UMinn game. That makes me wonder about the teams conditioning and how hard they are being worked in practice to not have the energy and endurance to go 35-37 minutes in a pretty much must win game to keep NCAA hopes alive.

Game day practices are about being dialed in. Not about needing content to post. Their conditioning issue is a direct result of the lack of attention to their fitness and nutrition expectations and not being in game shape. I mentioned this concern weeks ago about players being labored. You can’t have athletes be physically unhealthy and expect them to be able to have the endurance for a 40 minute game. If CKG Is already letting veterans off the hook to practice then that’s part of the problem. Quit being their buddy and be their coach. Accountability instead of accommodation. If it was late February, a rest day could be warranted, but now? Wow.

Game day practices are about being dialed in. Not about needing content to post. Their conditioning issue is a direct result of the lack of attention to their fitness and nutrition expectations and not being in game shape. I mentioned this concern weeks ago about players being labored. You can’t have athletes be physically unhealthy and expect them to be able to have the endurance for a 40 minute game. If CKG Is already letting veterans off the hook to practice then that’s part of the problem. Quit being their buddy and be their coach. Accountability instead of accommodation. If it was late February, a rest day could be warranted, but now? Wow.
Are we talking a game day practice or a shootaround? Because they are definitely not the same thing. Shootaround is potentially in view of the opposition and thus nothing is "practiced" or shown to give the opfor any extra material to use against you. Any game day practice would be somewhere other than the gym to be used for the game to keep what you were working on a secret as long as possible.

Nothing to argue against in the rest of your post though.

Are we talking a game day practice or a shootaround? Because they are definitely not the same thing. Shootaround is potentially in view of the opposition and thus nothing is "practiced" or shown to give the opfor any extra material to use against you. Any game day practice would be somewhere other than the gym to be used for the game to keep what you were working on a secret as long as possible.

Nothing to argue against in the rest of your post though.
Corrected. I’m referring to the shootarounds.

Reactions: MichaelRR
As an old girls coach, there is no reason your point guard can't be a scorer. I coached several and they were my leading scorers and assist leaders as well. I'll admit I'm an Ellis fan. Not sure she can't do some of what Smith does for the men. But again, I defer to what goes on in practice and what coach sees. I will also admit it is hard to just be a fan when you've been a coach.

As an old girls coach, there is no reason your point guard can't be a scorer. I coached several and they were my leading scorers and assist leaders as well. I'll admit I'm an Ellis fan. Not sure she can't do some of what Smith does for the men. But again, I defer to what goes on in practice and what coach sees. I will also admit it is hard to just be a fan when you've been a coach.
Ellis certainly can run the point, but not as well as Terry on setting up the other players, and her scoring suffers. Clark at Iowa proves though that running the point doesn't prevent one from being the leading scorer. Ukari Figgs, Erica Valek, Kelly Komara were all good scorers at the point as well, but that is not in Terry's skillset, unfortunately.

Swanson seemed to be playing and more importantly shooting decently, I realize it was against lesser opponents but how about her getting some minutes? I haven’t watched much but this isn’t a very athletic team, besides the pretty good class coming in I would hope Coach hits the portal, not for Harper types, legit players capable of playing big time college hoops.

"Swanson seemed to be playing and more importantly shooting decently, I realize it was against lesser opponents but how about her getting some minutes?"

She has only played against the worst two cupcakes we played, and while doing decently, its no indication she could have helped against UMinn. Alaina and Smith looked really good in those games as well.... Right now I gotta trust Gearlds can evaluate her players to know who can help and who cannot or we really failed when we hired her.

"I haven’t watched much but this isn’t a very athletic team, besides the pretty good class coming in I would hope Coach hits the portal, not for Harper types, legit players capable of playing big time college hoops."

The class coming in is two big classic low post bruisers and Poole. As to the portal, lets say Morrow leaves LSU after this year, why would she even consider a WNIT level team instead of going to a different top 10 team? There are 300 programs that would like/want/need the handfull of high level transfers that come out every year, but the reality is players look to move up if they are great players, not way down.

Every opportunity is a coaching opportunity. Or it should be. Maybe that’s part of the problem.
agree to disagree. You can definitely overcoach players and if you are in their ear in shootaround, they aren't getting in the right mindset for the game, they are in practice mode. Look at Knight's later years teams how tight they always were because he was using that "every opportunity is a coaching opportunity" kind of mindset and his players were always in practice mode expecting to be yelled at for every little mistake and thus played tight and got worse as the season progressed as the "constant coaching" wore them down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT