ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands JUCO wide receiver

Whether you think Walters is a good coach, bad coach or the jury is still out (me), pretty hard to not admit that he's improving the overall quality of players in the program.

Even in the worst case scenario of him not working out, he's not filling the program with bad talent. Best case scenario is obviously pretty good.

Whether you think Walters is a good coach, bad coach or the jury is still out (me), pretty hard to not admit that he's improving the overall quality of players in the program.

Even in the worst case scenario of him not working out, he's not filling the program with bad talent. Best case scenario is obviously pretty good.
Never knocked the guy on recruiting. It’s clear he can.

Talent will no longer be an excuse.

Go 4-8 again and that seat is going to be red red hot.

I wish him well.

Excellent news! Excited for the season! Welcome aboard the Boilermaker Express, LeLand!

Reactions: tenwest
The best thing Brohm did when he left was bring his WR coach with him. That year, we only had one receiver attack the ball, and our QB got criticized for only going to him. Last year, the WRs got a little better, but still not enough. Now, we are sitting pretty.

I still love Card and Mock is my favorite. And I see the line improving and having more depth.

The problem is that OSU, Michigan, and PSU pay out the big bucks, and it looks like Neb will be joining them. Iowa may be getting a good OC, and while no one in their right mind wants to move their home to California, many still want to go to college there.

I think we will field a fine team and uphold the traditions of having good character young men who will be a pleasure to root for.

Reactions: mediaexpert
They said they wanted more height in our WRs. Not sure if they will work out, but we accomplished the height goal.

Reactions: pboiler18
Fullerton College wide receivers coach Keenan Gardner chats with Boiler Upload to share insight into Purdue’s newest pass catcher, Leland Smith.

“This is a guy that gets it”

*For subscribers*

I am hearing that Leland Smith has 4.4 speed in the 40. 6 ft 5, 205 pounds, ability to win the 50-50 ball.
Sounds like Miami really wanted him.

Stay healthy this season. I want to see this guy on the field.

How was this guy only a walkon at TCU prior? Did he just start playing football recently or something? 6'5" with 4.4 speed...that's a rare combo.

Edit: Also saw he has a 45" vertical. Good grief.

I guess the story on him is he has only been playing WR for a few years beginning with his Jr. year in HS. He had a very solid Sr. Year with 845 yards and 9TDs. Being out of Houston you'd think he would have gotten more D1 offers, but maybe he simply was overlooked.

Last edited:
Reactions: z_one and krf3632
seems like Card will have some good targets to throw to, if the offensive line improves with the additions the offense should be fine. The defense will be the question mark, might take a few games to get in sync with the new players, especially in the Defensive backfield.

Reactions: z_one
seems like Card will have some good targets to throw to, if the offensive line improves with the additions the offense should be fine. The defense will be the question mark, might take a few games to get in sync with the new players, especially in the Defensive backfield.
I think we still at questions on the offensive side of the ball at RB. Mock definitely needs to cut down on turnovers. Of course, RBs needs holes too, which goes back to the OL.

I think we still at questions on the offensive side of the ball at RB. Mock definitely needs to cut down on turnovers. Of course, RBs needs holes too, which goes back to the OL.
I think Mock was chasing the 1k yd mark and was careless with the ball trying to get those extra yards. Definitely matured and we did not see turnover issues towards the end of the season.

C Walters made OL a priority this off season. We have much better depth at OL than we did last season. Hope they get strong this off season. We need a line that can push in 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 situations.

For all the talk of the OL being terrible, we rushed for more yards in a season than I can remember. Without looking i think we had 2 300-yard rushing games last season. So I think they were creating holes. Helps when Mock and Tracy are your RBs. Obviously short yardage situations were embarrassing as we couldn't get a good push when needed.

Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
For all the talk of the OL being terrible, we rushed for more yards in a season than I can remember. Without looking i think we had 2 300-yard rushing games last season. So I think they were creating holes. Helps when Mock and Tracy are your RBs. Obviously short yardage situations were embarrassing as we couldn't get a good push when needed.
Mock and Tracy were excellent in 2023. The difference is that Harrell had to adjust the run game to compensate for OL deficits. Early in the season, RBs were running head on, but later in the season, RBs were mostly running counters.

Purdue had a better chance getting a first down running on 2nd and 6 than they did 3rd and 1.

in the Minnesota game, the RBs we’re getting explosive plays off counters. But at the goal line, OL just could not push the D linemen. Card‘s scramble TD run is what broke the goal line stand at 4th and 1.

I think that terrible talk comes from short yardage failures and lack of pass blocking that caused Card to take sacks and scramble for his life…WRs not getting open didn’t help that cause either. The short yardage failures made them look really really bad at times but overall the team rushed for a good amount yardage for a Oline that seemed to have a different starting lineup every game. So far it looks like the team will have plenty of depth to play with this coming year so hopefully guys can stay healthy!

He has all the physical abilities. A couple of flags raised about him being a walk on at TCU. I’m not sure what other offers he had. A second flag raised for leaving TCU for a junior college.

I see it as a win win situation. Is he good at route running? Does he know and understand a playbook? Is he just a guy who uses his speed to run fly patterns? Are academics an issue? Is he a guy who is a late bloomer with not much experience? Who knows!!!!

A lot of other Div 1 schools were interested in him now. So he must have improved and shown something last year. He’s worth taking a flyer on.

Reactions: krf3632
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT