ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue drubbed 80-70

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Purdue with another dud loses to Penn State 80-70, at this point Sharon might be gone, this is a disaster. Karissa missed her second straight game, hope she's ok, this season is a wash, need her healthy for next year.

Reactions: DocRon
Had a 10 point lead at end of 1st quarter too. Same story, way too many turnovers and poor(and too much) three point shooting. From following on line it seemed Purdue may have had an advantage inside(huge rebounding advantage, including on the offensive end) so why force threes when your top threat from there is out? Granted, psu may have packed it in to force some of that but just doesn't seem like Purdue has a well coached team right now.

Had a 10 point lead at end of 1st quarter too. Same story, way too many turnovers and poor(and too much) three point shooting. From following on line it seemed Purdue may have had an advantage inside(huge rebounding advantage, including on the offensive end) so why force threes when your top threat from there is out? Granted, psu may have packed it in to force some of that but just doesn't seem like Purdue has a well coached team right now.
Diagne and Fraquar played well, good points. Fatou has been excellent lately, perhaps she's encouraged to return next season?

Just like Minnesota game, Purdue started and looked like the better team and had decent leads, but then fell apart, especially in the second half when they presented no D and PSU reamed them. Just like the Minnesota game also, the Nits hit a bunch of open threes, scored at will inside and built a 17 point lead and coasted. One of the most obvious things to me is that Versyp doesn't even have a concept of who her best players are and how to use them. Farquar has been a mess and she finally stopped playing her, but in the third Q she put her in and they got the ball inside and she scored 8 or 10 points. But the biggest miss is Doubia. She can drive and penetrate sometimes better than Traylor and added a lot when she played in the second quarter. But she did not play until late in the third Quarter after PSu had surged ahead and then at the end of the game in garbage mintues. Instead, Versyp again gave big minutes to Hardin who is slow and has not scored in weeks. It is obvious that a lineup of Moore, Doubia, Layton, Traylor and a big would be most effective, but it was hardly on the floor. Klarissa would fit into that but she is hurt. But Versyp sacrifices mobility over and over and the offense slows to a crawl. If you know basketball, it is apparent that her solution when they are playing badly is to just throw new players in and hope it turns arond.. PSU is one of the weakest team in the conference and one we beat on the road earlier. No excuses for this. I never thought it could happen, but this team could even lose to hapless Illinois. If BO does not replace Versyp after this debacle then it is proof positive that he has no interest in the quality of women's basketball, which has fallen about as far as it can.

Can anyone tell me why Cassidy Hardin gets the minutes she is getting? 13 minutes yesterday during which she had the grand total of 1 assist. Missed all 6 of her shots, including 3 three-point shots, and committed one turnover. And it is not like PSU was keying on her.

In the last 3 games before this one she has averaged 12+ minutes with a grand total of 2 points. In those games she (obviously) missed all her three-point attempts. Nothing against her personally as she seems to be a good person, but you have got to produce, especially on a team which so often depends on three-pointers.

I know there is a lot more wrong with this team than that one issue but it is just so frustrating - that and their never-ending turnovers. I can barely stand to watch their games anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffBoiler
Playing Hardin that much was a mystery and Grant too who has produced little, especially when you have Doumbia on the bench. Woltman too, a top recruit has disappeared.
Adding to the above. Most assists by a Purdue team in ever, but 24 To's. You will seldom win with 24 To's. A lot of this rests on having no rotation that is consistent. Clearly these gals do not know how to play together. There is only one solution.

Going forward the lineup should be Fatou or Kyle, would prefer Kyle but Diagne has produced, Doumbia, Layden, Moore, Traylor. When Karissa can play let her be the first or second girl off the bench, no need to rush her at this point. That's 7 players, after that play Farquar, Woltman and let it go. Harden is a decent shooter that needs spot minutes here and there.

Going forward the lineup should be Fatou or Kyle, would prefer Kyle but Diagne has produced, Doumbia, Layden, Moore, Traylor. When Karissa can play let her be the first or second girl off the bench, no need to rush her at this point. That's 7 players, after that play Farquar, Woltman and let it go. Harden is a decent shooter that needs spot minutes here and there.
She WAS a decent shooter. Not this year. And where are you going to give minutes to someone too slow to defend and who can’t hit anything right now?

Point here is that fans see that Versyp has no rotation and seems not to know which players are her best and should play the most in combination. A change on the rotation suggestion above. Farquar has to be in that top mix and that is enough. Could actually play her at the 5 some for a small ball stint depending on the game situation. You just play the other girls when the game is out of hand--like when we play MD and Indiana. Then it doesn't matter.

14 of the 24 turnovers were from two players. One of the two is probably the best player on the team when she is focused and tuned in.

Can anyone tell me why Cassidy Hardin gets the minutes she is getting? 13 minutes yesterday during which she had the grand total of 1 assist. Missed all 6 of her shots, including 3 three-point shots, and committed one turnover. And it is not like PSU was keying on her.

In the last 3 games before this one she has averaged 12+ minutes with a grand total of 2 points. In those games she (obviously) missed all her three-point attempts. Nothing against her personally as she seems to be a good person, but you have got to produce, especially on a team which so often depends on three-pointers.

I know there is a lot more wrong with this team than that one issue but it is just so frustrating - that and their never-ending turnovers. I can barely stand to watch their games anymore.
Hardin was a good shooter in high school. But at this level with Big Ten caliber athletes and with her limited athletic ability. She struggles to get her shot off. So she rushes the shot. If they would run her off some screens so when she catches the ball she has some time to gather and shoot. I think her shooting percentage would rise a little.

Hardin was a good shooter in high school. But at this level with Big Ten caliber athletes and with her limited athletic ability. She struggles to get her shot off. So she rushes the shot. If they would run her off some screens so when she catches the ball she has some time to gather and shoot. I think her shooting percentage would rise a little.
Good call, she's limited athletically, she's a specialty player that needs to be used when it works. Against an athletic team probably not wise.

Point here is that fans see that Versyp has no rotation and seems not to know which players are her best and should play the most in combination. A change on the rotation suggestion above. Farquar has to be in that top mix and that is enough. Could actually play her at the 5 some for a small ball stint depending on the game situation. You just play the other girls when the game is out of hand--like when we play MD and Indiana. Then it doesn't matter.
Farquar has looked bad every game I've watched this year, not last year. Looks like yesterday she played great, she doesn't seem that she's that athletic, she sure tries hard though. She has a role on the team, perhaps she plays next year as well, however, pretty sure she and Diagne probably can't play tons of minutes on an upper tier team. If her and Diagne return next year do they start again? As the season winds down I'd like to see Kyle and Doumbia get more minutes at their expense, it's not that I'm down on them but at some point younger and more athletic players need a shot!

Farquar has looked bad every game I've watched this year, not last year. Looks like yesterday she played great, she doesn't seem that she's that athletic, she sure tries hard though. She has a role on the team, perhaps she plays next year as well, however, pretty sure she and Diagne probably can't play tons of minutes on an upper tier team. If her and Diagne return next year do they start again? As the season winds down I'd like to see Kyle and Doumbia get more minutes at their expense, it's not that I'm down on them but at some point younger and more athletic players need a shot!
Actually she looked good in the non-conference games and I was impressed how well she came back from her ACL. She had a 12+ scoring and 11+ rebounds average in those four games. But since, she has not done much until this last game.. And she is usually one of the leaders in TOs. I know she tries hard but that effort has not shown up in most games against good competition.

Last edited:
Focusing on individual players is interesting, but basketball is a team game and there is no coherence on this team at all so they play scramble ball and lose. It is not going to change because it is allowed and coached. I guarantee you there are several coaches in this league who could take these same players and win more with them or at least make them not put on a clown show most of the time. It's on Bo to get a coach who knows what he or she are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT