ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue drops third straight (link)

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Looking like an uphill climb to the NCAA Tournament …

Loss

This post was edited on 12/7 5:45 PM by Kyle_GoldandBlack.com

Need to get it fixed

I have been a supporter of Coach V and still am, but I think that she needs to go beyond saying that it is going to make a big difference when the shots start falling. She has made statements similar to that after each of the last two losses. For three games in a row, the only things falling are the field goal percentage and the team's post season prospects. Vs. George Washington, Purdue shot 34.5%; vs. Florida State it was 34.4%; and vs. Dayton it was only 31.7%. Both the percentages and the downward trend are disturbing.

It doesn't take a genius to know that things will be better if those numbers improve, but it takes a pretty good coach to figure out how to make it happen. Coach V and her staff need to get this fixed. I have not seen enough games this year to know (and I am not sure that I would know if I had watched every minute), but Coach V and her staff need to figure out if the offense needs an adjustment to get better shots, if some of players' shot selection needs to be improved, whether shot mechanics need to be re-emphasized for some players, or just what can be done to improve the dismal field goal percentage. Maybe some of the players need to be strongly encouraged to spend more time in the gym putting up shots. Just believing that the shots will begin to fall and expecting the players to make it happen may not work without strong help and pushing from the coaches.

Coach Versyp's teams have usually improved as the year has gone along. Thus, I still believe that Coach V will find a way to improve this team's shooting, but it is now beginning to look like it needs a lot of improvement very soon if this team is going to compete for the upper half of the Big Ten.

This post was edited on 12/7 6:46 PM by oldgoldandblack

Re: Need to get it fixed

Truly one of the most disappointing beginnings to a season I can remember in it seems like forever. Somewhere, I think the year Wisdom-Hylton was hurt, we got off to a rough start and had an overall poor season as we had little depth. Each of these three losses could easily have been wins and we would be 6-1 and there would be not as much talk. But we lost them all and the inability to make shots when it counts is disturbing. If that does not change this will be one of the worst seasons. It has not happened yet, but FTs, shooting and the lack of depth are serious concerns. Too bad, most women's fans are not used to this at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT