ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 87, Iowa 68 Game Recap

And they were so considerate to finish the game 10 minutes earlier so someone with 3 fantasy players going tonight could get over to MNF.

Seriously though, pretty much a perfect 30 minutes of play tonight. It was clear the 2nd team was just playing out the string and didn't want to add up fouls by defending too hard in the paint down the stretch. Led to a ton of Iowa layups. I'm sure someone will blame Painter.

My highlights:
1) 1st half morton was elite. Yes he didnt shoot worth anything but if the movement and tempo are fast Morton can find driving lanes and hopefully wont need to take too many 3s.
2) Painter adjusting rotation and having morton off the bench first. Worked out big time.
3) Ball movement in general was amazing for multiple players. Morton Jones and smith all had some great passes.
4) Breaking the press! Absolutely annihilated Iowa's press all night! Havent seen a press break like that since Carsen's senior year.
5) Reduced turnovers to 8 from 18 last game.
6) Pulling edey and smith with I think at least 9 minutes left in the game for good! I am always thinking about load management for those because they are far and away the most key players for a natty this year.
7) Finally great response after a tough loss to a Northwestern team that played lights out for all of the 2nd half and OT. Great resolve by the team!

My highlights:
1) 1st half morton was elite. Yes he didnt shoot worth anything but if the movement and tempo are fast Morton can find driving lanes and hopefully wont need to take too many 3s.
2) Painter adjusting rotation and having morton off the bench first. Worked out big time.
3) Ball movement in general was amazing for multiple players. Morton Jones and smith all had some great passes.
4) Breaking the press! Absolutely annihilated Iowa's press all night! Havent seen a press break like that since Carsen's senior year.
6) Pulling edey and smith with I think at least 9 minutes left in the game for good! I am always thinking about load management for those because they are far and away the most key players for a natty this year.
7) Finally great response after a tough loss to a Northwestern team that played lights out for all of the 2nd half and OT. Great resolve by the team!
Morton really doesn't give us much. I would rather have Gillis in than him any day. At least Gillis can rebound, shoot and drive. Morton is only decent on defense. Anyways. Played an almost perfect 30 minutes of basketball. Our backups did not look very good though. Good minutes for them though.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Morton gave us nothing I tell you! 4 rebounds 5 assists( zero turnovers) and a block , plus shut down one of their better scorers. Loved Gillis 12 points too. Plus Gillis had 1 assist, 1 rebound but eh, 2 turnovers.

Reactions: Misfit1
Morton gave us nothing I tell you! 4 rebounds 5 assists( zero turnovers) and a block , plus shut down one of their better scorers. Loved Gillis 12 points too. Plus Gillis had 1 assist, 1 rebound but eh, 2 turnovers.
Morton gives nothing on scoring the ball. He played 25 minutes and failed to score. In his last 5 games, hard to believe he hasn’t scored in over 75 minutes of play.

Reactions: Lionheart1
He is 2-10 for the whole year, and hasn’t made a shot since Xavier. He did play well, but it was vs a not very athletic team. As long as he isnt a liability/gives us a disadvantage, then he should play a few mins. Who did he shut down exactly?

Gillis is playing well and complements Zach well. I like him off the bench and how well he is playing. Hope he’s not hurt too serious.

My highlights:
Morton is not elite… Iowa is just not very good.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
My highlights:

#1 Morton was no doubt fantastic last night. That was vs. Iowa. I will be surprised if that is the case the next two games or the end of the year where quick guys will blow by him. But giving him his due, last night was a difference maker.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Morton is not elite… Iowa is just not very good.
Morton was elite last night in the first half. I agree iowa wont be a good team this year but doesnt change the fact that he was great last night and helped start the blow out.
We have no one other than jones and maybe smith who can stay with quick guards with a mid range game. There will be defensive liabilities all over the floor this year when the opposition has elite guards. Morton is the least liability out of the group of heide, colvin and loyer but is the worst shooter in the bunch so its a pick your poison with that group of four.

Morton was elite last night in the first half. I agree iowa wont be a good team this year but doesnt change the fact that he was great last night and helped start the blow out.
We have no one other than jones and maybe smith who can stay with quick guards with a mid range game. There will be defensive liabilities all over the floor this year when the opposition has elite guards. Morton is the least liability out of the group of heide, colvin and loyer but is the worst shooter in the bunch so its a pick your poison with that group of four.
Morton can only guard Iowa type players. Ones that are not athletic or quick. When he faces those types, he’s not any better than Heide or Colvin. At least those two are young, and are a threat on O.

I’ll give you he played well last night, but he shouldn’t be getting 26 mins compared to Heide and Colvins 14 each if we want to make any type of run in March.

Morton really doesn't give us much. I would rather have Gillis in than him any day. At least Gillis can rebound, shoot and drive. Morton is only decent on defense. Anyways. Played an almost perfect 30 minutes of basketball. Our backups did not look very good though. Good minutes for them though.
Every team needs some fans that just don't see the whole floor. ;)

He is 2-10 for the whole year, and hasn’t made a shot since Xavier. He did play well, but it was vs a not very athletic team. As long as he isnt a liability/gives us a disadvantage, then he should play a few mins. Who did he shut down exactly?

Gillis is playing well and complements Zach well. I like him off the bench and how well he is playing. Hope he’s not hurt too serious.
He shut down Sanfort in the first half.

Reactions: Woodsa
Morton can only guard Iowa type players. Ones that are not athletic or quick. When he faces those types, he’s not any better than Heide or Colvin. At least those two are young, and are a threat on O.

I’ll give you he played well last night, but he shouldn’t be getting 26 mins compared to Heide and Colvins 14 each if we want to make any type of run in March.

I actually generally agree with you about heide and colvin playing more for development even though colvin is still a huge liability on defense.

But you need to get credit where credit is do when a player plays well. We will need all hands on deck to win the title this year and that includes morton being involved.

Reactions: Woodsa
5 assists with 0 turnovers is very helpful to scoring the ball. Kind of like linemen in football.
It takes way more skill to score than make a pass. If that’s not true, Morton would be able to make a shot.

I actually generally agree with you about heide and colvin playing more for development even though colvin is still a huge liability on defense.

But you need to get credit where credit is due when a player plays well. We will need all hands on deck to win the title this year and that includes morton being involved.
Sure. It was his best game all year. He played 26 min vs 14 for Heide and colvins 14 each. I’m just not sure what that exactly accomplishes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT