ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should Indiana Fix It Now?

OldStyle1902

All-American
Aug 20, 2002
The world is watching the great state of Indiana which has now reached a critical crossroads in history.

I guess I don't understand

any more than I do about anything, but if this law wasn't about discrimination what in the hell WAS it about?

I guess I don't understand what this law does that the federal law or the law in other states (like Illinois) does not do. This whole firestorm seems way overblown to me. What is there to fix?

Originally posted by HartPU:
What is there to fix?
The egos of a bunch of social media loudmouths in New York and California who want to dictate policy everywhere. I don't necessarily agree with this bill but I also don't agree with letting Ashton Kutcher dictate policies in Indiana. If we change it, it should be because that's what people in Indiana want to do.

Originally posted by HartPU:
I guess I don't understand what this law does that the federal law or the law in other states (like Illinois) does not do. This whole firestorm seems way overblown to me. What is there to fix?
Other states have provisions on their bills to prevent discrimination; old school, behind the times IN does not

The law was completely unnecessay and looked more like a presidential gambit for Pence to out conservative even Ted Cruz but it's turned into more of Richard Mourdock like disaster for him.

This post was edited on 4/1 11:10 AM by Bill4411

Forgive me, but who is Richard Murdoch besides an English actor born in 1907?

"IT"?

tmE6UPx.jpg

No reason for the law. If a bakery doesn't want to deliver a cake to a Gay marriage just make an excuse like they are to busy, you'll have to pick it up. I think because Indianais typically a conservative state the liberal media is having a field day.

I want to know who Ted Cruse is also. I know of a Tome Cruise and a Ted Cruz. I also wonder why this isn't on the GD board since nobody has injected Purdue sports (or any sports) into the thread. This topic does cross into sports only because athletes and sport organizations have voiced their opinion on it but I am not seeing any of that included in this thread.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

NO, I hope Tom Crean stays forever, why fix it when he's perfect.

He is a perfect fit for their personality. IT'S TOM CREAN!

Why wouldn't...

Federal Law trump a state law in this instance? Federal Law already has provisions for prohibiting discrimination due to sexual orientation for employment or housing.

I'm no constitutional scholar but I would expect anyone trying to discriminate in those areas would not be above any state statute.

Here is a good editorial from a liberal legal scholar who supports gay marriage. One of the few who actually read and understands the law and hasn't engaged in ignorant and fake outrage. The protests will do nothing but rob them of credibility when there really is something to complain about. People get tired of being bullied and the endless outrage and protests without any evidence or data to back it up. You have a beef? Fine, show some facts, persuade people, have a civil debate. This bill has nothing to do with the protests and most of the other laws don't have the provision they are complaining about. Basically identical bills has been passed over 30 times over 20 years and not a peep. There's a large group of people who wake up every day being offended and outraged before the day even starts. They are threatening business's to place the "we serve everyone" sticker on the doors or they will drive them out of business. WFT? That's tolerance? These protests aren't about the law, there about an agenda. Besides, the CEO of Apple is denouncing Indiana and boycotting the state while he promotes his business in China and Russia, who beat and kill gays? USC's AD, Pat Hayden needs to move the hell out of California instead of cancelling his visit to Indiana, since they passed the law first. They also crushed the gay marriage proposal several years ago. Did he boycott California? He can go pound sand along will all the other bandwagon protestors who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. You think someone in Indiana discriminates against you, you still get to take legal action, just like before. In the meantime, I know a lot of people who will not be buying Apple products anymore. This works both ways. Tired of pathetic politicians turning people against each other for political gain. Talk and act like an adult and most people will gladly listen and even be persuaded if you have a good case. Otherwise, the Saul Alinsky tactics will backfire.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/03/29/indiana-religious-freedom-prothero/70632870/

This entire fake controversy was about providing cover for Obama's Iran Nuclear deal / getting Hillary's email mess out of the news. Much like Treyvon Martin etc, it's a media brush fire ginned up to take people's attention away stories that the media and their political puppet masters would not like them to see.

If you are getting your news from the mainstream media, you are being manipulated.

BTW - Iran would not cater a gay wedding either..and yet this administration would like to see them have nuclear weapons. Cut the strings folks....

This post was edited on 4/1 11:50 AM by vonbraun

Re: Why wouldn't...

I don't fully understand the issue myself, but I am pretty sure if it was clear cut - and LGBTQ had protections - Pence would have said so instead of transparently skirting around the issue on national TV. To me, it's a straight forward question that cuts to the root of concerns. If he can't answer it, I think it's valid to be concerned with it.

Originally posted by vonbraun:
This entire fake controversy was about providing cover for Obama's Iran Nuclear deal / getting Hillary's email mess out of the news. Much like Treyvon Martin etc, it's a media brush fire ginned up to take people's attention away stories that the media and their political puppet masters would not like them to see.

If you are getting your news from the mainstream media, you are being manipulated.
im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens-thumb.jpg

Should gays be denied service in restaurants? Absolutely not, and the Indiana should be clear about not.

If a Muslim barber refuses to cut a woman's hair is that discrimination?

If a Christian photographer is unwilling to leave their office to go take photos of a gay marriage should that be illegal?

Most feel the Muslim is within their legal rights (despite sex being a protected class) although the photographer should be held accountable.

It's a tough law to write and enforce. Indiana will have to fix it, but it is a shame how poorly the media has covered it. Apple does business in countries where homosexuality is a crime yet they condemn a law that literally makes no reference to homosexuality.

That's assuming...

that all of the politicians involved know what's actually in the bill and how it will be used. Wasn't it Pelosi who said (when talking about the Obamacare bill) something like "We have to pass the bill to know what's in the bill"?

To me it sounds like someone in Indiana needs to go find a good Muslim owned restaurant and order a BLT and see what happens.

Please someone explain this to me...(not trolling)

I am a free thinking independent. I grew up in a conservative household, catholic school, and went to Purdue..so you can imagine the influences on my life.

I am not persuaded by the national media. I understand the biases and agendas from all news sources. Although I enjoy reading different points of views, which I have done for this.

So someone who is smarter than me please explain this to me.

If Mike Pence can't explicitly say that the bill does not legalize discrimination against the LBGTQ communicate, then why are people who do not support it wrong calling it discriminatory.

There has been a lot of back and forth over the liberal media and the liberal agenda, but I live in Indiana and would like an honest discussion over real potential outcomes. Not red herrings pointing fingers and shouting vague talking points.

I'm legitimately curious, not trying to start a shouting match. It's very likely I am neglecting a key piece of information, and that's what I am hoping someone can help straighten out for me.

It's 2015 and it's America. Come on Indiana. How many huge companies are having issues with this along with about every single media outlet, public figures, etc.? First law of holes....stop digging.

This was a totally unnecessary bill to pacify his base. First time I've ever heard of the Indy Star being liberal media before.

Re: It's simple....

You can not discriminate against anybody or anything except Christians. This law which is the same as federal (Bill Clinton signed into law)and same as many states in the union, but the left, far left wants to destroy the constitution and our past changing the fabric of our country. They know the glue to our constitution is God. They need to minimize the religious aspect of our country so we can destroy our nation. Of course the sheep in this country are falling in lock step with this movement. We are flushing our rights down the tube!

Originally posted by concrete:
Here is a good editorial from a liberal legal scholar who supports gay marriage. One of the few who actually read and understands the law and hasn't engaged in ignorant and fake outrage. The protests will do nothing but rob them of credibility when there really is something to complain about. People get tired of being bullied and the endless outrage and protests without any evidence or data to back it up. You have a beef? Fine, show some facts, persuade people, have a civil debate. This bill has nothing to do with the protests and most of the other laws don't have the provision they are complaining about. Basically identical bills has been passed over 30 times over 20 years and not a peep. There's a large group of people who wake up every day being offended and outraged before the day even starts. They are threatening business's to place the "we serve everyone" sticker on the doors or they will drive them out of business. WFT? That's tolerance? These protests aren't about the law, there about an agenda. Besides, the CEO of Apple is denouncing Indiana and boycotting the state while he promotes his business in China and Russia, who beat and kill gays? USC's AD, Pat Hayden needs to move the hell out of California instead of cancelling his visit to Indiana, since they passed the law first. They also crushed the gay marriage proposal several years ago. Did he boycott California? He can go pound sand along will all the other bandwagon protestors who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. You think someone in Indiana discriminates against you, you still get to take legal action, just like before. In the meantime, I know a lot of people who will not be buying Apple products anymore. This works both ways. Tired of pathetic politicians turning people against each other for political gain. Talk and act like an adult and most people will gladly listen and even be persuaded if you have a good case. Otherwise, the Saul Alinsky tactics will backfire.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/03/29/indiana-religious-freedom-prothero/70632870/
Well said post, and the USA Today column was very good too.

This whole issue is not about the law itself. It's about an agenda plain and simple.

Re: Why wouldn't...

doesn't apply to public accommodation laws.

Gays could be refused service before this law in Indiana, because there are no federal or state protections.

The states where folks cite for some baker being sued, are based on STATE protections.

So to sum up:

Indiana passed a law to allow businesses to do, what they could already do, and then gained a ton of negative attention for it. They'd have been better off being silent and letting the status quo hold if they wanted to continue to let bakers keep their dough gay-free.

Until federal law changes to includes gays as a fully protected class, which is coming pretty darn soon (making all of this such a waste of time).

Re: That's assuming...

your last example is not remotely what this is about. If you said, someone needs to go to X-owned restaurant and demand service that is one thing...that doesn't mean they have to do something special for you that they don't do for everyone else.

Originally posted by rsomm:
You can not discriminate against anybody or anything except Christians. This law which is the same as federal (Bill Clinton signed into law)and same as many states in the union, but the left, far left wants to destroy the constitution and our past changing the fabric of our country. They know the glue to our constitution is God. They need to minimize the religious aspect of our country so we can destroy our nation. Of course the sheep in this country are falling in lock step with this movement. We are flushing our rights down the tube!
Lol. The Constitution was written and signed by white protestant men, some of whom owned slaves. The composition of the US changed and as such, the constitution should change. It was never intended to be carved in stone. It was intended to adapt as society adapted.

The Obama administration is involved with Germany and the UK, amongst others, in a conspiracy to create a nuclear armed Iran and to disguise this fact they arranged for media sources in the United States to manufacture a fake controversy about a law in Indiana that had nothing at all to do with gay marriage.

I encourage you two to share this opinion with as many people as possible. Not just those who already know about the vast liberal conspiracy, but those moderates who might have their doubts about the law and haven't heard this explanation.

Thanks!

Jock Tamson
Order of Sheeple
Vast Liberal Conspiracy Local 7623

Now on to item 2 on the agenda. How many charge calls do we give Duke in the second half. Ms Merkel?

JMO , but if this was signed Tuesday after the Final 4 would it have made headlines anywhere? It seems, too much these days , given the forum ,people will find a cause. If already posted , sorry. Its just my opinion , I hope not to offend

Re: Please someone explain this to me...(not trolling)

No, his response adds nothing to the conversation at all. I asked a pointed question that for some reason remains unanswered.

I said destroy not change. You can change it today, it's in the Constitution! You sound like a liberal college professor!

If that's true, and

Originally posted by qazplm:
doesn't apply to public accommodation laws.

Gays could be refused service before this law in Indiana, because there are no federal or state protections.

The states where folks cite for some baker being sued, are based on STATE protections.

So to sum up:

Indiana passed a law to allow businesses to do, what they could already do, and then gained a ton of negative attention for it. They'd have been better off being silent and letting the status quo hold if they wanted to continue to let bakers keep their dough gay-free.

Until federal law changes to includes gays as a fully protected class, which is coming pretty darn soon (making all of this such a waste of time).
the Indiana Law didn't change anything, then why did the Left get the LGBT community all fired up to oppose a Law that didn't change anything? It couldn't be a purely political move to embarrass a Conservative Governor in a relatively Conservative state, could it? It's like Harry Reid saying Romney hadn't paid his taxes for ten years, during his presidential run. Any lie is acceptable, if it hurts the opposition. Another sad day for our country....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT