ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Game Threads (Selected Excerpts)

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
The Penn State fan boards today were some of the sanest I've read this year after a game with Purdue. They are realistic about their team's expectations, recognize the talent Purdue has, and love their new coach. Very few complaints about the refs, lots of acknowledgment for good plays by both Penn State and Purdue players, and an understanding of the coaching changes and their results. Unlike the Tennessee boards where I felt I needed a long shower after wading their them, these were very enjoyable to read.

This will be a huge test and two weeks ago I would agree that Penn State had no chance. Right now, Penn State has elevated its game, they are playing solid defense, and when not turning the ball over they are shooting very well. The key I look forward to is not paying too much attention to Edey in the post where you leave the shooters open. If Penn State can outscore Purdue from the arc and free throw line they stand a chance in this one.

Purdue is not playing their best ball right now. Hopefully they will take one more game off before they wake up and play to their ability. If they continue their weak play and PSU plays to top of their ability, than PSU will pull an upset.

Our transfer guys are better than theirs.

Curtains are closed. And does not appear to be a sellout of lower bowl with 12 min til tip. Student section pretty sparse. Lots of seats section 115. Purdue shooting lights out in warmups.

Two wide open looks for us early. Gotta hit them.

I just don’t see how we can keep this close. They are just really a good team.

I like what we're doing so far with the hi-low to get a cutting big to the basket. Also weird not seeing Purdue rebound well.

Team is locked in… Pickett playing like a super hero so far.

PSU out-rebounding Purdue 7-4 early.

And there's Sessoms' first boneheaded turnover of the day.

That white kid can really shoot it!

White going to the basket is working though!

Has someone inhabited White’s body today? Playing really well!

I think our coaches can coach bigs.

Shrews pulled Sessoms after he failed to inbound the ball and then dribbled away the shot clock before turning it over. Sending a message there. Sessoms had only been in for 2 minutes but was replaced by Johnson.

We really got us a hell of a coach I think.

This is the most cohesive I've seen a PSU offense in a long time.

Wow! We are playing so damn well.

If we had Greg Lee all year we prob have 3 more wins.

Refreshing to see us mixing up defenses. We've been a man to man team forever it seems.

Purdue changing things up offensively, catching PSU a bit flat footed.

Purdue with a 9-0 run after Painter called timeout.

Williams having his way at the rim.

Ivey is really good!

I am stunned their bigs have more fouls than ours… this is a game where I fall in love with a team regardless of outcome.

There it goes! Edey with 3 before the half. Williams has 2 at the moment as well, so Purdue may be giving us some more room to operate if we can press them inside.

Very winnable…you can see the energy in the team.

A box and 1 defense! Throwing it all at them.

Ugh, Cornwall with the turnover, then intentional foul.

I seriously don't understand why Shrewsberry keeps playing Cornwall. He hasn't done a single good thing all year.

Ugly first half for Lundy. Gonna need him to wake up in the 2nd half.

Who would have thought the game would be this close with no points from Lundy in the first half?

Very impressive performance against a talented boiler squad. Team seems to be playing hard for Shrews.

We can be more aggressive on D in second half too since no one has even 2 fouls. Getting an early 4th on Edey would change their preferred subs too.

This is our home court, you shoot here every day...some of you for years. Please make shots and lets make history beating a #3 team.

Turnover coming out of the halftime break is not ideal. Interesting that Sessoms is starting this half. He and Cornwall both struggled in the first.

It’s like we forgot how to play!

Gotta hit the 3 to loosen Purdue’s interior D. They're pressuring the ball and packing the paint. Open guys gotta hit.

Gotta love Harrar. Now Edey has four fouls and Williams three,

Have always loved Harrar. Wish he had 17 more years of eligibility.

PSU is 1-of-9 from 3. So it'll have to really pick it up.

Just tell Pickett there's 2 seconds left in the shot every trip.

Amazing how much different the game is when you hit 3s eh?

Time to attack Williams and get his fourth.

This team has some balls!

Pickett…master of the old man’s game. Love it!

Lol. When they were down 12, I knew they’d do this. This is just this teams style.

I'm all in on Micah Shrewsberry!

At this point I don't care if we win or lose but I love Shrews and this team!!! I don't know how many noticed, but Shrews called a timeout, I believe when we got down by 12, since then we made our comeback. This is a real coach, folks!! Team is playing hard. Let's go!!!!

Just too much talent. Hell of an effort though. If painter doesn’t take this team to the final four.... lol

This Purdue team has all the pieces. Really skilled team.

Helluva a defense play by Ivey.

Hat tip to Ivey. Great player!

Good game…good fight. Would have been nice to pull off.

Great effort by our guys. I have no complaints with the effort. Purdue has a lot of weapons.

Hell of an effort by PSU. Was down 13 with 12:03 to go.

Competitive game, lots to like here. Some touchy calls but Purdue just executed better in some spots, hit clutch shots. Have to like what you saw though.

That Purdue team is loaded. And relentless on D. PSU gave it a helluva go.

Purdue players post game said they were not expecting the box and one that Shrews rolled out. That echoes some of the post game stuff from Indiana that they weren't expecting the 2-3 zone.

Disappointed but they play hard and had a legitimate chance to steal it in the final minutes. In Shrews I trust. I think this team might be able to squeeze an NIT appearance out when all is said and done which would make the season a success after the mass exodus in the off-season

We had a shot but the refs and number 50 too much to overcome. Our cheerleaders were awful at half, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News