ADVERTISEMENT

Parler over Twitter

Where there will be groupthink. Got it.

Hey, the good news is atl, the Sox have an out on Tony now. Seems like he can't figure out a designated driver after all these years.
I haven't checked out Newsmax yet but have heard good things. Everything is sadly partisan but I will never be able to understand why some are so hellbent on silencing and trashing voices with different opinions.

Are there websites/organizations like Media Matters (whose mission it is to destroy all right wing commentary) dedicated to destroy and defund CNN/MSNBC/CBS/ABC? No. It all goes in one direction for some reason. It's just so ridiculous. Let people seek out what they want to seek out.

Agree, I hate when Twitter flags fake stuff. If its on social media it is always real and they don't understand that.

So you feel better, when THEY decide what is worthy of dissemination, because you aren't capable of discerning what is true & what is BS? Sounds like a CNN viewer...LOL

BTW, Twitter censors/flags a lot of things that they just don't agree with, whether they are true or not.

So you feel better, when THEY decide what is worthy of dissemination, because you aren't capable of discerning what is true & what is BS? Sounds like a CNN viewer...LOL

BTW, Twitter censors/flags a lot of things that they just don't agree with, whether they are true or not.
I’d rather not a lot of idiots seeing lies that Trump tweets in all caps as absolute truth that creates a further divide.
And how is this true censorship? They don’t delete tweets, they put a message up front gate it could be misinformation, and you still see the tweet. Alright Brian, you can lock it now.

I don't tend to wade into these way OT/semi-political posts, but a real question here...

If information is being put out there on social media that is demonstrably false, is it anyone's duty to ensure that it is known that is untrue?

Common sense would tell you no, that someone should be smart enough to know better. But the internet has shown us how (unintelligent?) people are or can be. With the ability of various social media sources that become instant news/sources of information, is this not dangerous for all of us?

This isn't a left/right thing. Either side can conceivably peddle whatever they want, and they do.

My fear is that we are seeing more and more people radicalized (to the left or right) because they believe what they want to see on social media. Truth be damned.

Personally, I would just let the users police the comments. If someone says something that is blatantly untrue, I suspect that numerous people would jump on the post and call the individual out for spouting BS (much like KHC). If it's questionable, people will demand proof.

I don't know why Twitter & Facebook feel the need to hold our hands, unless they are really trying to shape the narrative?

Dale corrected himself. That's precisely why you can trust him.

Wouldn't you expect a "Fact Checker" to do that before he posts information?
He didn't, which is why people should be skeptical about anything he says, since he's supposed to be a "FACT CHECKER".

As someone who has spent his entire career working in social media, it's fascinating to read through this thread.

Outside of the misinformation conversation, which is probably too nuanced for a message board, I did want to respond to people's claims of Parler's future success.

It is extremely difficult to build a new social platform in 2020. Some people mentioned it earlier, but if you don't have your entire network (as well as any of your favorite brands/influencers) on a platform, it's essentially worthless if your network already exists in its entirety elsewhere.

But the way you can build social platforms these days is 1) by utilizing an influx of younger users that help a platform seem fresh and cool and 2) having a defining feature that differentiates you from everything else so that users can add the new platform to their daily habits.

I know for a fact 1 does not apply to Parler, and I'm pretty sure most users wouldn't cite less restrictive free speech rules as a truly innovative feature when their own posts are never actually flagged.

Parler isn't in the top 20 social media platforms by MAU as of October and I'd be shocked if it ever got close to entering that conversation.

Last edited:
As someone who has spent his entire career working in social media, it's fascinating to read through this thread.

Outside of the misinformation conversation, which is probably too nuanced for a message board, I did want to respond to people's claims of Parler's future success.

It is extremely difficult to build a new social platform in 2020. Some people mentioned it earlier, but if you don't have your entire network (as well as any of your favorite brands/influencers) on a platform, it's essentially worthless if your network already exists in its entirety elsewhere.

But the way you can build social platforms these days is 1) by utilizing an influx of younger users that help a platform seem fresh and cool and 2) having a defining feature that differentiates you from everything else so that users can add the new platform to their daily habits.

I know for a fact 1 does not apply to Parler, and I"m pretty sure most users wouldn't cite less restrictive free speech rules as a truly innovative feature, when their own posts are never actually flagged.

Parler isn't in the top 20 social media platforms my MAU as of October and I'd be shocked if it ever got close to entering that conversation.
Plus, it isn't less restrictive free speech. They have been banning anyone who posts anything with a liberal leaning already. There are people posting about being banned on Twitter after making one post on Parler LOL

Facebook is an incredibly powerful channel for right-wing groups. Statistics over the past four years consistently show that the most widely read/seen and engaged with posts are those that are pretty solidly right -- Dan Bongino, Ben Shapiro, Trump campaign stuff, etc. Not even close with any other political content nor any sort of content.

It is absurd on its face to suggest that there is any sort of "censoring."

Twitter is flagging election-related info that is false or deliberately misleading. There's an easy way around that...

Otherwise, the rise of Trump is impossible without Twitter. So, again: Be real.

Edit: Unless you're talking about people like Alex Jones and Holocaust deniers getting kicked off Twitter? Jones was pretty clearly yelling fire in a crowded theater. HOlocaust deniers are blatantly encouraging/inciting division, if not violence. And on a private platform, where they don't have a right to "free speech" in the first place. That is no different from the Wall Street Journal or New York Times refusing to run opinion pieces by those groups/people.

How about Twitter locking out the NY Post & the WH Press Secretary's accounts, because they posted about Hunter Biden's laptop? Gotta suppress a story unfavorable to their "Guy", before the election. The problem lies with Facebook & Twitter deciding what information is too dangerous for us to handle. They overstepped when they stifled the NY Post.

FYI, I was on Facebook for a few months, when our BBall games in Taiwan were being broadcast ONLY on Facebook and I have never had a Twitter account, so KHC is the closest thing to social media that I care to get involved with. I do realize that millions of people populate Facebook & Twitter and I just want a fair & equitable dissemination of information, without their thumbs on the scale.

Plus, it isn't less restrictive free speech. They have been banning anyone who posts anything with a liberal leaning already. There are people posting about being banned on Twitter after making one post on Parler LOL
There are also people posting on Twitter that it takes your SSN number to sign up for Parler. Everybody has lost their marbles.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
The point is that people should be able to make their own determination of what "manipulative bullshit" really is, rather than having Twitter & Facebook filter out what THEY determine is worthy of being discussed, which is just their version of "manipulative bullshit".

If only people were that smart. Unfortunately the trolls and bot farms are smarter than the millions who were conned in 2016.

The Right keeps ranting about Freedom of Choice, but what they really mean is they are happy to tolerate paid foreign interference in U.S. affairs in exchange for unmoderated social media while Zuckerberg and Dorsey just get richer, as long as the interference suits their worldview.

FIFY

I’d rather not a lot of idiots seeing lies that Trump tweets in all caps as absolute truth that creates a further divide.
And how is this true censorship? They don’t delete tweets, they put a message up front gate it could be misinformation, and you still see the tweet. Alright Brian, you can lock it now.

I'm sure you have no problem with CNN & MSNBC lies, since they tell you what you want to hear and they bend over backwards to unite us with their narrative...LOL

BTW, was Biden lying, when he said he was opposed to Fracking or when he said he supported Fracking? Was Biden lying when he supported the Green New Deal or when he disavowed it?
Never mind, you probably never noticed the flip flop.

Interesting how you automatically believed them. Doesn't it strike you as a bit strange that a social media platform, that is just starting out, is arbitrarily banning people for only one Liberal post? Does that really pass the smell test for you?

If only people were that smart. Unfortunately the trolls and bot farms are smarter than the millions who were conned in 2016.

FIFY

Get over your delusions. Nobody was CONNED in 2016. HRC was an arrogant, condescending incompetent, who felt that she was entitled to be President. Trump was an outsider, who was not tied to the establishment and represented change, which is why he won.

If you believe that narrative, you were conned by the Dems & MSM. You probably still believe in the whole Russia, Russia, Russia Conspiracy that HRC paid for...LOL

Have you figured out that the BLM organization is being run by Marxists yet, or are you still in denial?

8gTiv5T.jpg

Is this the site crazy conservatives are migrating to cause their feelings are hurt over at Twitter and Facebook?

How can you call Conservatives crazy? We didn't vote for deplorable HRC or dementia Joe.
Trump may be annoying as Hell, but he got a lot of good things done.

Wanted to see what all the fuss was about ;)

And I'll always prefer Twitter until my miserable group of fellow Sox fans ditch it for Parler which I'm guessing will never happen. Misery loves company...
I recommend people get off all social media and trying to figure out what is truth and what is BS. I use Twitter for sports and sports gambling. That's it at this point lol
Gambling? Degenerate.

tic

Reactions: Smattson
If you get any
Facebook is an incredibly powerful channel for right-wing groups. Statistics over the past four years consistently show that the most widely read/seen and engaged with posts are those that are pretty solidly right -- Dan Bongino, Ben Shapiro, Trump campaign stuff, etc. Not even close with any other political content nor any sort of content.

It is absurd on its face to suggest that there is any sort of "censoring."

Twitter is flagging election-related info that is false or deliberately misleading. There's an easy way around that...

Otherwise, the rise of Trump is impossible without Twitter. So, again: Be real.

Edit: Unless you're talking about people like Alex Jones and Holocaust deniers getting kicked off Twitter? Jones was pretty clearly yelling fire in a crowded theater. HOlocaust deniers are blatantly encouraging/inciting division, if not violence. And on a private platform, where they don't have a right to "free speech" in the first place. That is no different from the Wall Street Journal or New York Times refusing to run opinion pieces by those groups/people.

So how do Flat Earthers not get flagged TIC....sort of. :p

I deleted Facebook, and haven’t been on Twitter since Election Day.

To say I’m happier is an understatement.

Stuff is poison. I used to live on both.

You will be much happier to stay off social media trust me.
It's engineered to polarize and keep people in a bubble (especially fb). It has been used to radicalize westerners into terrorist groups, and I think we're seeing the same thing these days with political radicalization.

How would that be any different than crazy liberals boycotting Chik-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby?

You don’t spend any $$ for Facebook but you do Hobby Lobby, et al. Conservatives boycott businesses as well (Starbucks, NFL, etc.).
My friend had a post on Facebook tagged because it showed a picture of Joe Biden with his rescue dog except it was not the rescue dog which they do have, it was the one they got from a breeder. I am still puzzled by how an algorithm picked that out????

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider and db
It isnt even really about that tho. The guy who is supposed to be a fact checker didnt even fact check. How am I supposed to trust him? Especially when he's the one telling me everything is "disinformation"
I don’t see your point. Dale posted two tweets. No comments. Sounds like your anger should be at the woman. Me thinks you have the issue not Mr. Dale.

Let me guess, since Parler is competing with Twitter & Facebook, I suspect that they're telling you that Parler is populated with a lot of racist, anti-Semitic Right Wing Trump supporters? I'm sure no one with any ties to either Twitter or Facebook wrote the description of Parler either...LOL

I don't use any of those services personally, but I've heard enough outrage about Twitter & Facebook censoring anything that dares venture right of center and we all know how tolerant the Left is about anyone with divergent views. Freedom of speech isn't quite so free anymore.

Facebook has gotten to the point that obvious jokes are flagged.

Really, if you couldn't tell it wasn't accurate without a FB flagging it, you're a freaking idiot. It's gotten ridiculous with their "Fact Checkers"

Parler is a social media circle jerk crazy of conspiracies theorists. Seriously Mark Levin has been losing his shit over there.

Last edited:
As much as I want to it to succeed, that thing is just a bunch of people who took famous people’s Twitter handles and put them on Parler. Total mess and it doesn’t seem anyone real is actually there.
and thats different than twitter, right? I dont go to either one for anything serious. I may look at a video on twitter and FB but thats it.

Facebook has gotten to the point that obvious jokes are flagged.

Really, if you couldn't tell it wasn't accurate without a FB flagging it, you're a freaking idiot. It's gotten ridiculous with their "Fact Checkers"
FB and Twitter are both politically motivated companies using their huge data bases to make billions. IMO anyone who support them is undermining our country, period, regardless of your political views i

How about Twitter locking out the NY Post & the WH Press Secretary's accounts, because they posted about Hunter Biden's laptop? Gotta suppress a story unfavorable to their "Guy", before the election. The problem lies with Facebook & Twitter deciding what information is too dangerous for us to handle. They overstepped when they stifled the NY Post.

FYI, I was on Facebook for a few months, when our BBall games in Taiwan were being broadcast ONLY on Facebook and I have never had a Twitter account, so KHC is the closest thing to social media that I care to get involved with. I do realize that millions of people populate Facebook & Twitter and I just want a fair & equitable dissemination of information, without their thumbs on the scale.

Example: Top 10 FB posts yesterday

The point isn't whether he corrected himself, it was he didn't do basic fact checking before he posted. Edward Murrow is rolling over in his grave.
Dale (CNN) is the king of selective "fact" checking and distortion. Dale, New York Times and others that ran with this lie, new darn well that Pfizer was part of Warp Speed.

Pfizer signed a contract with federal government to be part of Warp Speed last June. Since then there have been hundreds of updates on Warp Speed and always involved discussing the progress of vaccine being made by Pfizer and other pharma companies selected for Warp Speed program. Then Pfizer develops what appears to be an awesome vaccine.....and here come CNN and New York times sprinting out to tell us Federal government gets no credit.

Only reason Dale corrected himself is he got called out for his lie on Social media. He is used to CNN "news" anchors slobbering all over his selective fact checking, distortion, and sometimes flat out lies.

For the record I have no problem with media being tough on Trump or any U.S. president. That's their job. They should fact check Trump. But they also should apply the same standard to Biden. Dale said it wasn't necessary to fact check Democrat convention, because other than a few exaggerations, there weren't any problems. Like most of today's media he is a political activist....masquerading as a journalist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT