ADVERTISEMENT

Parler over Twitter

As much as I want to it to succeed, that thing is just a bunch of people who took famous people’s Twitter handles and put them on Parler. Total mess and it doesn’t seem anyone real is actually there.

I just joined Parler as an alternative to Twitter. Check it out

I follow 12 accounts on Twitter to get the daily updates I want - if I were to go to Parler I’m guessing none of those accounts are there for me to follow.

The only incentive for me to move to Parler would be if most of the accounts I follow move there.

I’m guessing this is why Parler will never take off - it’s really tough to get “network effect” when someone already has it.

Google parler and see what wiki says, I think I will pass.

Let me guess, since Parler is competing with Twitter & Facebook, I suspect that they're telling you that Parler is populated with a lot of racist, anti-Semitic Right Wing Trump supporters? I'm sure no one with any ties to either Twitter or Facebook wrote the description of Parler either...LOL

I don't use any of those services personally, but I've heard enough outrage about Twitter & Facebook censoring anything that dares venture right of center and we all know how tolerant the Left is about anyone with divergent views. Freedom of speech isn't quite so free anymore.

Given that Parler is exclusively attracting right wingers lately, its almost like you're signing up to have the government monitor you.

Parler will grow, and eventually be a true alternative to Twitter, but smaller. However, as with most things, we probably will see people skew towards particular apps based on their Left / Right belief systems.

Reactions: boilerjax94
Let me guess, since Parler is competing with Twitter & Facebook, I suspect that they're telling you that Parler is populated with a lot of racist, anti-Semitic Right Wing Trump supporters? I'm sure no one with any ties to either Twitter or Facebook wrote the description of Parler either...LOL

I don't use any of those services personally, but I've heard enough outrage about Twitter & Facebook censoring anything that dares venture right of center and we all know how tolerant the Left is about anyone with divergent views. Freedom of speech isn't quite so free anymore.

This post, in a nutshell, illustrates why we are having so much trouble as a society grappling with social media. The availability of massive instant channels for misinformation and disinformation from strangers instead of trusted connections has turned the world on its head. And I'm not talking right vs. left here.

It's a huge adjustment and society will take IMO up to 50 years to adjust to the negative effects, just as society has taken a long time to adjust to the negative effects of technologies like cars and TV.

The fact that people like Mark Z and Jack D are making decisions about what info is appropriate is insane. But what are the other answers, until people internalize that 99% of the political stuff they read in these channels is likely manipulative bullshit?

If Parler can get enough people on it, I think people that use Twitter to push along information, like Purdue basketball or GBI, would run dual accounts to try to reach everyone.

I think competition here is better than having Twitter as a monopoly so I'm going to sign up (costs me nothing) and hope it takes off. If it doesn't, well I think I still have a Myspace page somewhere too.

Alot of people looking for non-censored social media. However, the people who alot people want to follow need to set up accounts at some non-censored site first and then the public who are thinking about the importance of non-censored media will follow.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
Alot of people looking for non-censored social media. However, the people who alot people want to follow need to set up accounts at some non-censored site first and then the public who are thinking about the importance of non-censored media will follow.

I view it completely opposite. If the public migrates there in large numbers, the people who want the attention will get an account. At the end of the day, it's about reaching that end user but it has to be in large enough numbers for it to be worthwhile.

I view it completely opposite. If the public migrates there in large numbers, the people who want the attention will get an account. At the end of the day, it's about reaching that end user but it has to be in large enough numbers for it to be worthwhile.

Either way I am looking for non censored social media. Apparently alot of people are.

This post, in a nutshell, illustrates why we are having so much trouble as a society grappling with social media. The availability of massive instant channels for misinformation and disinformation from strangers instead of trusted connections has turned the world on its head. And I'm not talking right vs. left here.

It's a huge adjustment and society will take IMO up to 50 years to adjust to the negative effects, just as society has taken a long time to adjust to the negative effects of technologies like cars and TV.

The fact that people like Mark Z and Jack D are making decisions about what info is appropriate is insane. But what are the other answers, until people internalize that 99% of the political stuff they read in these channels is likely manipulative bullshit?

The problem with "misinformation and disinformation" and "trusted connections" is that there isnt anyone to trust anymore. I generally distrust people who use the word "disinformation" because most of the time what they mean is information they don't like.

Major media reporters and media sites have become so brazenly biased during the last 12 years, that there is no logical way you can trust them. Almost every media story has some outlandish headline and then somewhere inside the body of the article, there is a direct contradiction to the headline.

You don't even have to look far to see it. Literally yesterday, CNN's "Fact Checker" Daniel Dale was all over twitter reporting that No, Pfizer was not a part of Operation Warp Speed because the CEO said so (which was clearly a PR move to distance himself from the losing presidential campaign). Dale tweeted that out and didn't even bother fact checking, which is his literal job, until hours later when Pfizer put out a statement that indeed, yes, they were absolutely part of Operation Warp Speed.

Please explain to me how I'm supposed to ever take Daniel Dale seriously again? He didn't even do the bare minimum research(literally a press release from Pfizer in July on their own website said they were part of Operation Warp Speed) like googling the answer. All because these "journalists" have to try and take down Trump.

I'm not trying to personally attack you by quoting your post, please know that. I'm not a Trump fan either. But when you step back and look at what happened yesterday, how am I supposed to think that CNN or NBC or whoever screams about "disinformation" actually knows what disinformation is?

Or maybe, those people don't really care about disinformation, they just want to be the ones spreading it.

Sources:

Here's Dale, completely wrong, attempting to dunk on a right wing radio host. Post goes viral. Regardless of who is involved, ask yourself why a supposed serious fact checker journalist is even doing this:

I guess i have to give him credit for correcting the record, but the original post is still up, even though completely incorrect:

Why should I believe or trust that this guy can tell me what disinformation is when he is one of the people literally spreading it?

And this is one of many, many examples in media today. All Dale had to do was literally google "Is Pfizer part of Operation Warp Speed" and he couldn't even be bothered to do that.

The problem with "misinformation and disinformation" and "trusted connections" is that there isnt anyone to trust anymore. I generally distrust people who use the word "disinformation" because most of the time what they mean is information they don't like.

Major media reporters and media sites have become so brazenly biased during the last 12 years, that there is no logical way you can trust them. Almost every media story has some outlandish headline and then somewhere inside the body of the article, there is a direct contradiction to the headline.

You don't even have to look far to see it. Literally yesterday, CNN's "Fact Checker" Daniel Dale was all over twitter reporting that No, Pfizer was not a part of Operation Warp Speed because the CEO said so (which was clearly a PR move to distance himself from the losing presidential campaign). Dale tweeted that out and didn't even bother fact checking, which is his literal job, until hours later when Pfizer put out a statement that indeed, yes, they were absolutely part of Operation Warp Speed.

Please explain to me how I'm supposed to ever take Daniel Dale seriously again? He didn't even do the bare minimum research(literally a press release from Pfizer in July on their own website said they were part of Operation Warp Speed) like googling the answer. All because these "journalists" have to try and take down Trump.

I'm not trying to personally attack you by quoting your post, please know that. I'm not a Trump fan either. But when you step back and look at what happened yesterday, how am I supposed to think that CNN or NBC or whoever screams about "disinformation" actually knows what disinformation is?

Or maybe, those people don't really care about disinformation, they just want to be the ones spreading it.

Sources:

Here's Dale, completely wrong, attempting to dunk on a right wing radio host. Post goes viral. Regardless of who is involved, ask yourself why a supposed serious fact checker journalist is even doing this:

I guess i have to give him credit for correcting the record, but the original post is still up, even though completely incorrect:

Why should I believe or trust that this guy can tell me what disinformation is when he is one of the people literally spreading it?

And this is one of many, many examples in media today. All Dale had to do was literally google "Is Pfizer part of Operation Warp Speed" and he couldn't even be bothered to do that.

While the guys take is wrong on this being a OWS funded production drug.... it is likely any drugs produced will end up a part of opperation warp speed via the logistics in the plan once the drugs are produced.

While the guys take is wrong on this being a OWS funded production drug.... it is likely any drugs produced will end up a part of opperation warp speed via the logistics in the plan once the drugs are produced.

It isnt even really about that tho. The guy who is supposed to be a fact checker didnt even fact check. How am I supposed to trust him? Especially when he's the one telling me everything is "disinformation"

I don't tend to wade into these way OT/semi-political posts, but a real question here...

If information is being put out there on social media that is demonstrably false, is it anyone's duty to ensure that it is known that is untrue?

Common sense would tell you no, that someone should be smart enough to know better. But the internet has shown us how (unintelligent?) people are or can be. With the ability of various social media sources that become instant news/sources of information, is this not dangerous for all of us?

This isn't a left/right thing. Either side can conceivably peddle whatever they want, and they do.

My fear is that we are seeing more and more people radicalized (to the left or right) because they believe what they want to see on social media. Truth be damned.

I’m on Parlor. I don’t know it will take off or not and I don’t know if I will use it. But I did it to send a message to Twitter that censoring information and opinion based on political bias isn’t ok. That’s stuff the N.Korea, Iran, China, Russia, Saudi Arabia do. People say, “if you don’t like it, then you don’t have to use it”. This is just the first step of that.

As much as I want to it to succeed, that thing is just a bunch of people who took famous people’s Twitter handles and put them on Parler. Total mess and it doesn’t seem anyone real is actually there.
Not true in the least

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT