ADVERTISEMENT

OT!!!: IU grabs mediocrity from the portal

IU has talent to win Big 10 next year but has Woody as coach and always will be a question how talent plays together

Reactions: SCBoiler1
IU has talent to win Big 10 next year but has Woody as coach and always will be a question how talent plays together

With the new teams in the B10 I think that is the hardest thing to predict who will win with unknown newcomers.

Second, until all portal players find final destinations that adds to alot we don't know.

But in general.....other than Goode, do you really see the 3pt shooting on iu good enough to win the B10? Or do you see the players they have 3 pt% increasing because of Ballo?

I do agree, I don't see Woody as a coach knowing how to maximize his team's 3 pt % at least based on history.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
With the new teams in the B10 I think that is the hardest thing to predict who will win with unknown newcomers.

Second, until all portal players find final destinations that adds to alot we don't know.

But in general.....other than Goode, do you really see the 3pt shooting on iu good enough to win the B10? Or do you see the players they have 3 pt% increasing because of Ballo?

I do agree, I don't see Woody as a coach knowing how to maximize his team's 3 pt % at least based on history.
Not really to all your questions haha

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Had Goode definitely committed to IU? This was not reflected yet, last I checked with a portal site. Edit, I see now his commitment to IU is now reflected.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
The BIG is only good when IU was good and definitely in down years when Purdue wins the conference. Makes perfect sense 🙃🙄
So Purdue didn't have good years in the late 2000s - mid 2010s? You understand that includes Creans first 3 years right?

The BIG is only good when IU was good and definitely in down years when Purdue wins the conference. Makes perfect sense 🙃🙄
Like Indiana was good every year in that time frame lol. No. There was just something special about that time period. There was more star power in the B1G in that time period. From Greg Oden and Mike Conley at Ohio State. You had the Moore, Johnson, Hummel team at Purdue. Zeller/Oladipo at Indiana. Burke/Hardaway at Michigan. The amount of talent that went through MSU. Peak Wisconsin, including their back to back Final Four seasons and title game. The Big Ten was just better back then as a whole. Conference realignment hurt it in my opinion, as it's hurt all of college sports. There was just something special through those years that isn't there now. It has nothing to do with Indiana, because Indiana was only good a couple years through that time span. Though 2013 in the Big Ten was a hell of a year with Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State all being Top 10 teams. Wisconsin was good. Minnesota hit Top 10 once. Illinois was Top 15. Indiana made the S16S, MSU made the S16, Ohio State made the E8, Minny made the 2nd round as an 11 seed, Illinois made the 2nd round, Michigan made the title game. Hell of a year. Had a few other good one since. But the top of the Big Ten hasn't been strong as a whole lately.

Like Indiana was good every year in that time frame lol. No. There was just something special about that time period. There was more star power in the B1G in that time period. From Greg Oden and Mike Conley at Ohio State. You had the Moore, Johnson, Hummel team at Purdue. Zeller/Oladipo at Indiana. Burke/Hardaway at Michigan. The amount of talent that went through MSU. Peak Wisconsin, including their back to back Final Four seasons and title game. The Big Ten was just better back then as a whole. Conference realignment hurt it in my opinion, as it's hurt all of college sports. There was just something special through those years that isn't there now. It has nothing to do with Indiana, because Indiana was only good a couple years through that time span. Though 2013 in the Big Ten was a hell of a year with Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State all being Top 10 teams. Wisconsin was good. Minnesota hit Top 10 once. Illinois was Top 15. Indiana made the S16S, MSU made the S16, Ohio State made the E8, Minny made the 2nd round as an 11 seed, Illinois made the 2nd round, Michigan made the title game. Hell of a year. Had a few other good one since. But the top of the Big Ten hasn't been strong as a whole lately.
lol I was messing around with ya TopicTalk.

Reactions: TopicTalk
Late 2000s-mid 2010s it was pretty damned strong.
Ha! 2019-2021 we win the Big ten acc challenge by multiple games and have good representation at big dance but I guess that was just regular strong not pretty damned strong.

I think the coaching as a whole isn’t as good as it was back then.
A few examples:

Thad > Holtmann
Beilein > Howard
Crean > Archie/Woody
Bo > Gard
Peak Izzo > Old Izzo

I think the coaching as a whole isn’t as good as it was back then.
A few examples:

Thad > Holtmann
Beilein > Howard
Crean > Archie/Woody
Bo > Gard
Peak Izzo > Old Izzo
Maybe not at the top but I think from bottom up we are improved. Nebraska wirh Hoiberg, northwestern is now respectable with Collins, painter is a better coach, and Pikiell at Rutgers is ruffling some feathers. And I think underwood is better than Weber who is no longer coaching after being fired from his last two jobs.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Not sure about that - add May, Cronin, Altman, and Sprinkle and the coaches in the Big top to bottom are pretty legit - Woodson not included 😂

Maybe not at the top but I think from bottom up we are improved. Nebraska wirh Hoiberg, northwestern is now respectable with Collins, painter is a better coach, and Pikiell at Rutgers is ruffling some feathers.
That’s all true, but how many NCAA wins do all those guys have ?

Ok , on the topic of IU next season, I think woody stinks as a coach, motivator and doesn’t do well developing his players individually or as a team. That being said I think the team they’ve bought does have potential to be a top B1G team and contender. Hopefully Woody fails to capitalize once again though.

Ok , on the topic of IU next season, I think woody stinks as a coach, motivator and doesn’t do well developing his players individually or as a team. That being said I think the team they’ve bought does have potential to be a top B1G team and contender. Hopefully Woody fails to capitalize once again though.
Apparently, S16 and top 3 B1G finish is expectations…something that was laughed at when Purdue fans try to point out that’s where we have been the last 7 years.

potential in the form of an incoming 5 star player to play the 3, an elite to be sophomore in their front court, a transfer PG who was previously all freshman team of a power conference, possibly the top transfer center, and a handful of 4 star guards? That’s not their 2024 team but actually last years team that failed to make the tourney.

Maybe not at the top but I think from bottom up we are improved. Nebraska wirh Hoiberg, northwestern is now respectable with Collins, painter is a better coach, and Pikiell at Rutgers is ruffling some feathers. And I think underwood is better than Weber who is no longer coaching after being fired from his last two jobs.
Those teams will find their ways back to where they belong. They've taken advantage of Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin being down and/or bad. I'd put more faith in those 5 programs returning to the top than NW, Nebraska and Rutgers doing anything long term.

Reactions: Middawg
potential in the form of an incoming 5 star player to play the 3, an elite to be sophomore in their front court, a transfer PG who was previously all freshman team of a power conference, possibly the top transfer center, and a handful of 4 star guards? That’s not their 2024 team but actually last years team that failed to make the tourney.
Yup! Didn’t say they didn’t have potential last year too. This team might be a bit better put together for roster construction other than Ballo and Reneau fighting to occupy the same space. With that potential Woody is a limiting factor that they have to overcome or he has to change and figure it out. In order for potential to matter it needs to be capitalized on.

Those teams will find their ways back to where they belong. They've taken advantage of Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin being down and/or bad. I'd put more faith in those 5 programs returning to the top than NW, Nebraska and Rutgers doing anything long term.
You really are ignorant aren’t you?
- Rutgers just landed two of the top 5 high school players in the country and have made it in many of the top early top 25.
- Northwestern beat Purdue and Illinois last year, not many teams that did that. They have been to 3 of the last 7 ncaa tournaments after missing the first 80 or so… not a fluke this year but consistently solid.
- Purdue will find their way back to where they were? C’mon!
- Fred Hoiberg is considered a very good coach and was co-coach of the year lol.
- and underwood? He’s finished in top 2 in big ten 3 of last 4 years and should have won 2 of those but got screwed by Michigan manipulating the covid rules. He hasn’t been worse than 5th in last 5 years and was considered by many a potential replacement at Kentucky

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Yup! Didn’t say they didn’t have potential last year too. This team might be a bit better put together for roster construction other than Ballo and Reneau fighting to occupy the same space. With that potential Woody is a limiting factor that they have to overcome or he has to change and figure it out. In order for potential to matter it needs to be capitalized on.
Are they better, even on paper m? Metrics show ballo and rice are downgrades from ware and Xavier Johnson respectively. And I’m not sure the metrics on carlyle are much better than Galloway. And they have far less depth in their front court.

Are they better, even on paper m? Metrics show ballo and rice are downgrades from ware and Xavier Johnson respectively. And I’m not sure the metrics on carlyle are much better than Galloway. And they have far less depth in their front court.
I think Ballo is a downgrade as far as fit. Xavier was terrible and toxic no matter what kind of metrics you want to use! Did they lose anyone else that was a positive contributor in a routine role? I believe the answer to that is no. Goode is a better shooter than anyone else on the roster. Not a superstar but could fill a needed role. I’ll predict that the new guards take minutes from Galloway. Who knows what their 5 star freshman will contribute if anything. Will Newton (who was injured) be a contributor, who knows? I am not saying that I expect them to be great or even good but I think they could be better than last season and than some posters on here give them credit for. I hope they suck and we bury them. I hope they don’t make the tournament and finish in the bottom half of the league. That would be fantastic with the $$ 💰 they are dropping buying the team!

Reactions: Schnelk and z_one
Come on. Why can't we just give them credit? Indiana has some nice pieces. Their three-point shooting might still be a concern, but they probably are bringing in 2 or 3 starters that will jump into their rotation with a pair of solid forwards. They have guys that were key pieces last year that don't project to get many minutes. They have the talent to be much better.

Woodson has definitely put his job and reputation on the line. If he can't finish in the top 3 or 4 in the B1G with that roster, he's going to get fired and it would probably end his coaching career.

Reactions: DrEss
Come on. Why can't we just give them credit? Indiana has some nice pieces. Their three-point shooting might still be a concern, but they probably are bringing in 2 or 3 starters that will jump into their rotation with a pair of solid forwards. They have guys that were key pieces last year that don't project to get many minutes. They have the talent to be much better.

Woodson has definitely put his job and reputation on the line. If he can't finish in the top 3 or 4 in the B1G with that roster, he's going to get fired and it would probably end his coaching career.
I think most fans understand what talent they have coming, but even IU fans worry about Woody's coaching.

They've had 2 nice bigs the last 3 years with a talented roster and have equated to 1 tournament victory. This just gives that fan base another reason to whine. IU sucks!

Last edited:

I give them all the credit in the world for fundraising and buying elite talent. But they did this last year with Mgbako and Ware who played great especially down the stretch but no one played to their potential. That’s my issue is Xavier, Trey, Gunn, and Cupps all played far worse than expected and Renau didn’t have rhe sophomore jump you would expect so I don’t expect Carlyle, Rice, Goode to step in and make them a top 4 B1G team.

I give them all the credit in the world for fundraising and buying elite talent. But they did this last year with Mgbako and Ware who played great especially down the stretch but no one played to their potential. That’s my issue is Xavier, Trey, Gunn, and Cupps all played far worse than expected and Renau didn’t have rhe sophomore jump you would expect so I don’t expect Carlyle, Rice, Goode to step in and make them a top 4 B1G team.
Don’t tell iu fans that Reneau didn’t have a jump…cuz they certainly think he did.

IU absolutely on paper has a team that should be top 3 in B1G and get to second weekend, anything less is a failure. Will they all be ok with minutes being reduced/ a lesser role? What happens if they start to lose, how do they all deal with that?

I still don’t see how Reneau and Ballo help…they clog the paint and woodys offense doesn’t care about the 3 ball. But we will have to wait and see

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Don’t tell iu fans that Reneau didn’t have a jump…cuz they certainly think he did.

IU absolutely on paper has a team that should be top 3 in B1G and get to second weekend, anything less is a failure. Will they all be ok with minutes being reduced/ a lesser role? What happens if they start to lose, how do they all deal with that?

I still don’t see how Reneau and Ballo help…they clog the paint and woodys offense doesn’t care about the 3 ball. But we will have to wait and see
I mean he made a pretty good jump really.

Year 1: 14.9mpg, 6.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.8 apg, 55.3% FG on 4.6 attempts, 25% 3PT on 0.2 attempts

Year 2: 28.7mpg, 15.4 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 55.8% FG on 10.8 attempts, 33% 3PT on 1.4 attempts.

Basically doubled his minutes and stayed consistent went that trend with his numbers.

Reactions: MDS3
I mean he made a pretty good jump really.

Year 1: 14.9mpg, 6.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.8 apg, 55.3% FG on 4.6 attempts, 25% 3PT on 0.2 attempts

Year 2: 28.7mpg, 15.4 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 55.8% FG on 10.8 attempts, 33% 3PT on 1.4 attempts.

Basically doubled his minutes and stayed consistent went that trend with his numbers.
Hey I saw a bit of a jump…he still has a ways to go. I was just telling the OP not to say that around IU fans.

Reneau still fouled a ton down the stretch. In 2024, he Averaged 3.5 fouls per game and that’s with a 0 due to getting hurt vs Iowa. Take it out and it’s 3.7 over 19 games. He fouled out 5 times and had 4+ fouls 11 times. He needs to also improve on his 3p shot/outside shot to draw defenders out and get better at rebounding and quicker on his feet to guard the 4 spot.

Hey I saw a bit of a jump…he still has a ways to go. I was just telling the OP not to say that around IU fans.

Reneau still fouled a ton down the stretch. In 2024, he Averaged 3.5 fouls per game and that’s with a 0 due to getting hurt vs Iowa. Take it out and it’s 3.7 over 19 games. He fouled out 5 times and had 4+ fouls 11 times. He needs to also improve on his 3p shot/outside shot to draw defenders out and get better at rebounding and quicker on his feet to guard the 4 spot.
He didn't just foul, he had stupid foul after stupid foul. Has a lot of maturing to do.

A point of reference for Reneau taking the jump IU fans expected, is that against UConn, he was the best player on the floor for 2/3 the game and it wasn't particularly close, when the team as a whole wasn't playing well together.

When he went off the court is when UConn padded their 6 to 8 point lead late second half.

A point of reference for Reneau taking the jump IU fans expected, is that against UConn, he was the best player on the floor for 2/3 the game and it wasn't particularly close, when the team as a whole wasn't playing well together.

When he went off the court is when UConn padded their 6 to 8 point lead late second half.
lol. No, he was not.

Last edited:
All IU fans are saying S16 for expectations…even though they scoffed at Purdue making 4 S16s in 6 years and now 5 in 7 years —with 2 E8s, a F4 and NCRU plus 4 B1G championships and a BTT (but that doesn’t matter apparently) and 3 straight years of an overall 1 ranking that no big ten team had ever done…not even IU’s beloved Bobby Knight or MSUs Tom Izzo.

They say S16 (even though they want to say F4) because even though on paper their team seems really good…they all know woodsons their coach with a prehistoric offense that doesn’t value the 3.

Boilerzz has shown what the top portal classes did last year and the top ones (KU and UNC) had either a really good coach (Self) or an All American Guard with a preseason AA big who had averaged a double double for 3 straight seasons.

We’ve also seen the analytics on their new backcourt and the numbers show they aren’t really that much better than what they had last year. Hell, Carlyle was worse than X (although he’s a top PG in the country when healthy 😂). They’ve collected all this talent but how are they all going to play? And they aren’t really developing any high school talent as cupps and Newton will be sitting the bench and won’t see ANY significant playing time this year. I guess you could mbgako is getting developed, but he’s playing out of
Position and should be playing the 4 and reneau at the 5 since he can’t guard the 4 and fouls too much, but is an undersized 5. Not sure how Goode is going to really change anything….maybe he hits 1-2 more 3s for them but not sure that translate into being “their shooter” they needed as I don’t think he will get much impactful playing time. And if he does that means Tucker, their 5 star or Galloway aren’t getting decent minute. Plus they still need a backup big for when Reneau or Ballo get in foul trouble/need breathers.

Anyway, If Woodson magically changes his offense, then maybe things do change. But until we see that, I don’t think I can believe they’ll actually be successful to a level where they actually win something that’s notable.
It's been a long time since I have visited their board. What are their predictions for the number of times they may rush the court? And cut down the nets after a regular season victory?

Reactions: Schnelk
It's been a long time since I have visited their board. What are their predictions for the number of times they may rush the court? And cut down the nets after a regular season victory?
Still butthurt about college kids rushing a court? Lol.

The team IU has coming in will allow Woody to have to make fewer critical decisions. IU will be a handful even with Woody as HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT